What's Your Preferred Office Suite

Wanted to find out from the community what Office Suite software you use on Linux. We have options like LibreOffice, OnlyOffice, some might use Office 365 for work or education or even Google Docs. No rules here just the confessions of what office suite you use the most.

Bonus question: If you don’t use an open-source option, what features would the open-source options need to add to make you switch over?

6 Likes

Libreoffice all the way. Some times, from my nextcloud web, I use collabora online.
For some work, last resort, if absolutely needed and libreoffice is not compatible, I fire up my windows VM and deal with it using MS Office. I had to do that all the time a few years ago. But that happens like a handful of times a year for me lately.

5 Likes

The answer is mostly Google docs. Reasoning - used heavily at work and hard to change habits. I have libre office installed on my home computers but it’s hard to change habits.

3 Likes

I’m actually quite fond of Paper still… (I am old fashion ) Like Real paper buut if I have to use one still LibreOffice . Google Docs is nice for sharing cause my other people I talk to use it thus I store an Online and offline back up .

3 Likes

LibreOffice. I switched years ago and now prefer it to Microsoft Office and definitely prefer it to G-Suite.

I have been trying out FreeOffice recently as I’d heard about it on a few linux podcasts. Not open source, but is very similar to MS Office. I may try it with some family members - the cost seems reasonable to purchase too.

4 Likes

Well I’m sure it’s not the answer most would agree with. Google docs. The collaboration, and file storage makes it easy peasy. It’s sort of a throw off as I need to use it for work anyways. And the reality is, it allows me to use Linux in my day job. Which is a win no matter what office suite I have to use.

4 Likes

I’ve used LibreOffice or a direct predecessor of since Sun made StarOffice freeware. It is a great office suite and a jewel of FLOSS software.

That brings me to my confession, my secret office product shame.
I miss Microsoft OneNote and there still isn’t a Linux application which quite matches it. If Joplin, Spectacle, and Xournal++ were smooshed together into a seamless app with handwriting recognition you might get something in the same ballpark.

3 Likes

Agreed, @PatPlusLinux … OneNote is the one missing piece that we don’t really have an option for in the FOSS world.

μPad is probably the closest I’ve found so far…

4 Likes

At work it’s mostly Microsoft Office, but if i can, i use LibreOffice. At home it’s LibreOffice

5 Likes

I use LibreOffice Calc regularly (and occasionally Microsoft Excel in a Windows VM when I have to deal with a file that’s full poorly developed macros), but that’s the only component of any office suite that I use. For small stuff like recipes, or other small writeups of useful information I keep for my future self, I’ll gravitate instantly towards markdown. There’s a lot of really nice feature rich markdown editors (I use hackmd.io in the cloud, and VS Code locally), and several ways to generate a PDF for easy sharing.

For larger documents (basically anything that will be longer than two pages, and has at least one image or reference) I use LaTeX (https://www.latex-project.org), which is an incredibly powerful typesetting system. It’s free software, and available in the repo of every Linux distribution I’ve used. Once again, there’s a a number of editors to choose from, of which I use TexStudio (https://www.texstudio.org) and occasionally the cloud-based Overleaf (https://www.overleaf.com). The main draw to LaTeX for me is that I can write just the content, with a bit of code around it to set up the document, and I end up with a very neat PDF without all that tedious mucking about with formatting styles and manual image placement.

1 Like

Honestly, at home, it’s mostly Joplin. I use LibreOffice when I need more powerful tools. Sudo Show uses HedgeDoc for its planning.

Work though is almost exclusively on Google Docs. (If it helps, I use Firefox :grin:)

6 Likes

Generally, I avoid using any office suite at all (markdown/orgmode FTW!) but I always have LibreOffice installed for when it’s necessary or better suited to the situation. In collaborative stuff I just default to whatever the other person is using.

3 Likes

I can’t use anything other than a plain text editor. Markdown and LaTeX are my best friends.

But if I ever need to touch some office file I open LibreOffice.

3 Likes

I don’t have a lot of needs for an office suite. As a long-time Apple user I used Numbers and Pages a lot and I still have some documents on it (mainly those shared with my wife). Numbers is great for casuals and to me it’s still the easiest to make nice and clear spreadsheets :grimacing: :innocent:

At first I used LibreOffice but now I use Only Office as it is also working great on the iPad.

2 Likes

I take the same approach there. I find it ends up being Google Docs in the vast majority of circumstances.

2 Likes

Yeah, my university has that thing where everything is hosted with Google so that decision is pretty much made.

1 Like

If I have to, LibreOffice… otherwise text only. I try not to use spreadsheets, if it wasn’t for other people I wouldn’t use any Office apps, you can accomplish most with text.

2 Likes

WPS Office, and the biggest thing for me to switch to OSS editor would be it needs to have a UI that doesn’t feel like it is from 1990.

2 Likes

LibreOffice is my go-to application. It has all the features and the matching dark them color scheme that looks great. I have tried others but they screw up formatting. Also, if I have to edit a PDF, LibreOffice Draw is fantastic. The other “free” office suites just don’t have the functionality. There are a few things missing in LibreOffice Calc I would like but the others tend to be better than the alternatives… for me. If I am doing something a bit more complex, I will use MS Office 2007 for specific Visual Basic functions that don’t seem to work in LibreOffice.

I have Office 2013 that I bought some years back but it just looks so flipping ugly, I can’t use it and feel good about it. Maybe I need to check it again but the lack of theme customization makes for a hideously miserable experience.

4 Likes

Currently LibreOffice is my staple on Linux. It’s solid, does what I need. However, I do sometimes miss when I got excited by office software on Linux. Anyone else buy a copy of Corel WordPerfect back in the day?

Corel WP Linux Office 2000

4 Likes