What's Your Preferred Office Suite

I use LibreOffice.

2 Likes

At work I am forced to use MS Office which isnā€™t exactly my favourite. At home I use Libre Office but not often.

2 Likes

Always LibreOffice and not only at home, it is my work tool number one.
I never think about alternatives and I am bothered when people send me stuff I should open in the slow loading Google Docs in a browser.

1 Like

Itā€™s all good on the disagreement. Maybe I can fix the look of it but until that pointā€¦ which I would have commit to figuring it outā€¦ I will continue to use LibreOffice and MS Office 2007 because it only takes a few clicks and I can have dark-ish theme.

1 Like

If I could wave a magic wand I would bring WordPerfect back to Linux. Iā€™ve used LibreOffice since it was StarOffice but I have always preferred WordPerfect.

2 Likes

I use Libre Office for all my docs/spreadsheets. However, there are a few elaborate Excel spreadsheets I have written which are used on my W10 laptop. The ability to run VB macros in Libre calc would be a game changer for me.

So, itā€™s mostly Libre office.

1 Like

ā€œPreferredā€ is a strong word. I use LibreOffice because I donā€™t really use office application much and Libre is more than enough for me. I also tend to simply edit markdown txt files for text.

2 Likes

I use SoftMaker, not freeoffice. I occasionally use 365 at work

As a previous Mac user I used ClarisWorks, AppleWorks, Word Perfect, ThinkFree, Mariner & NeoOffice

2 Likes

I guess I use all of the above! My defaults is OnlyOffice - Iā€™m a cheap student so I discovered I can get free Nextcloud (with 1 GB of storage) from the folks at /e/. They have OnlyOffice integration setup with Nextcloud, and itā€™s honestly awesome. If Iā€™m editing a longer document, Iā€™ll mostly switch over to LibreOffice, basically because it has dark mode, and it integrates with LanguageTool, which I have come to rely on for grammar and spelling corrections. And my school is a ā€œgoogleā€ campus, so a lot of collaborative documents are in Google Docs. But we also have Office 365, and if I have to chose between the two I vastly prefer Word, so most of the collaborative documents I create for school are in Word.
It sounds worse than it is, because really almost everything Iā€™m personally working on is in Nextcloud/ OnlyOffice, and the docs I edit in LibreOffice are saved to my synced Nextcloud folder on my laptop.

1 Like

ClarisWorks. Man, that brings back memories. I had a stint as a Mac user for a while when I wrote books. My favorite editors for that were Scrivener and Mellel.

LibreOffice here too. It took forever for me to adjust to the ribbon in MS office, and took just as much effort to switch back to the menu structure of LibreOfficeā€¦ But once the ā€˜switchā€™ takes place in my brain, Iā€™m right at home and productive.

I tend to use the Presentations/Slide Show part the heaviest. While there are many office options on linux, the presentation/slide show program tend to suffer the most as far as comprehensive features. LibreOffice can import audio/video, which is a very big deal for what I do.

My needs for MS office compatibility seem to be shrinking each year. So, more and more I find myself sharing the *.ODT/P master docs with others, and every now and then needing to export a PDF to email out when formatting or layout is absolutely imperative.

In testing exporting to .PPT from LibreOffice, there is still a little work to go yet, but for the most part MSOffice retains content, notes, layout, fonts, and I have to remember to include the video files separately in a microsoft-happy format. (I get spoiled in LibreOffice just being able to grab just about anything.)

LO has worked well for me for years, and I love that so many exciting changes and updates just keep pouring in.

Super great questions!!! Now Iā€™m going to have to give these a better study.

In my experience, importing fonts into Linux is about as simply as copying the TTF/font files into the ~/.fonts/ folder. Having the correct fonts helps minimize issues that come from substituting, but if I could put a number on it, Iā€™d say roughly 70% of what I do with Writer/Impress formatting gets cleared up as far as this goes.

I canā€™t give any specifics on ā€˜slow downā€™ from adding fonts as with 16g RAM and SSDs, I canā€™t readily observe slowdown. I remember Inkscape took a while to load with lots of fonts, so I can only assume that LibreOffice would also bog down to a degree.

1 Like

Short version: LibreOffice ~99% of the time (all my personal work); MS Office365 if I have to, which sometimes I do ~1% of the time.

Long version:
When I was an undergrad MS Office was the standard, so I used Word 2.0 for Windows, then Office 97, 2003 and 2010. For most of my personal work I started using StarOffice in the late 90s, switched to OpenOffice almost exclusively in the early 2000s, then after keeping an eye on both LibreOffice and OpenOffice for almost a year after the fork, switched to LibreOffice completely. Unfortunately for work I occasionally have to use Windows / Office365 - but I happily go months without.

I understand the need that OnlyOffice is doing and commend their hard work; however I do believe for the longer term people should be looking to switch away from MS Office completely, including their so-called ā€œopenā€ XML standard. Just my thoughts!

1 Like