What distro are you running?

1. Kubuntu 19.04 on gaming desktop, KDE Neon testing edtion on my laptop, and Ubuntu 19.10 with Unity on another laptop.
  2. Been using Ubuntu distros since 2012.
  3. I see no reason to leave, so yeah :smiley:. Closest I got to switching was when Ubuntu dropped Unity as their main desktop environment & switched to Plasma.
1 Like

I’m running Fedora 30, been on it since June 2019, I’m trying others on my other computer but so far I like Fedora, next one to try is popOs

1 Like
  1. Anarchy 1.0.5 & ArcoLinuxD + KDE
  2. Actually, started with Arch recently. Just thought that I’ve found everything I want in Ubuntu but than tried Arch… :slight_smile: Simply, Arch can give me minimalism I’ve been striving since I know for myself.
    ArcoLinuxD is sparing me boring hardcore Arch installation and let’s me in just when it’s time to install WM & DE. I really appreciate that!
    On the other hand, Anarchy is full of the potential with easy and beautful installer but also with a bag full of bugs for the time being. But crew there is looking enthusiastic enough so they have my sympathy.
  3. For sure but on some way I miss Ubuntu. Budgie edition especially - really positive thoughts there. Solus looks attractive too. Tried new Zorin but didn’t stick with that - too simple for my taste but I really like idea. Something like rich Elementary I would say. :slight_smile:

P.S. really starting to like this community!

1 Like

1 . Ubuntu MATE.
2. A year and a half.
3. Whenever I try something else, I end up going back to it so nowadays whenever I feel the urge of distro hopping, I launch a VM and try another distro to figure out it is not for me.

1 Like

Are there any Linux programs you use with recording or mixing music?

What: Pop! OS
When: Since I got a System76 Oryx Pro laptop just over a year ago.
Staying? Yes. For now, at least.

I’d planned to wipe Pop! when I got the laptop and use Antergos[RIP], but wound up enjoying it so much that I kept it. In fact, I had Antergos on a box I was using as a home NextCloud server that I hadn’t updated in about six months and when I updated it last week, it messed up the NextCloud and Apache installations and became dreadfully slow and glitchy in general. I’ve been having such a good time with Pop! that I went ahead and wiped the server and put Pop! on it. Then installed a snap of NC and was up and running fast, no hassle.

I don’t think the devs of Pop! really intended for it to be used as a server, but I just changed the default target for systemd to multi-user.target to run it headless, and it works just fine.

On Raspberry Pi, I use Raspbian, but only because I haven’t really tried putting anything else on it yet. Raspbian itself isn’t bad, I suppose, but the desktop setup is pretty putrid, IMO.

2 Likes

What: Manjaro with KDE desktop, I have just updated my old old asus with MXLinux, my kids run Linux Mint (Cinnamon and Mate) on their old laptops (Asus and Toshiba Satellite) , which are my hand-me-downs.
When: For the last 6 months
Staying? Yes. I am tempted to try an Arch install next.

1 Like

I’m no music producer but the Audio editor I use for mixing podcasts is Audacity and it’s a powerful bit of kit.

Check out this YouTube channel as he uses all Linux for his music production

3 Likes

@lqlarry I’ve dabbled a bit with Bitwig (not FOSS, but available on Linux) and I’ve found it to be incredibly flexible and powerful. I’m trying to move away from Logic Pro X as it’s the ONLY thing keeping me on a Mac, and only occasionally.

I’m doing this together with my friend Jerry Morrisson, who’s also migrating away from Logic Pro. it’s a slow process, but an exciting one.

I have to give a nod to Audacity as well, though. It is RIDICULOUS stable and easy to use, and while it’s not flashy it has a lot of power under the hood. It’s all I need to produce my podcast from start to finish.

And yes, Unfa is amazing. watch ALL his videos!

1 Like

1: Arch - Plasma DE
2: Started on Antergos 2016, switch to Manjaro when Antergos news came, then decided to go full Arch recently when I felt comfortable with what I wanted to use.
3: Plan to stick with it; maybe side-load Fedora being my buddy Glorious Egg Roll is working with RH/IBM to make it stronger for Gaming.

2 Likes

1. What? Mageia on personal laptop. Debian on anything else.
2. How long? Mageia for 2 years. Debian since 2011.
3. Sticking with it? With Debian definitely. On my personal laptop I might switch every 2 years to something that gets the job done at the moment. There are too much great distributions out there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same for me. Something about Kubuntu makes me fall in love with it.

at home:
Kubuntu, Manjaro with KDE, and sometimes PopOS

at work:
Debian with KDE

1 Like

Stock Ubuntu since 8.04. Personal laptop on the interim releases, servers latest LTS, 15-20 friends and family usually on the latest LTS desktop.

My laptop has been through release-upgrades every 6 months since 2008 with the disk being cloned through 3-4 upgrades and is in the latest of about 5 newer laptops.

Given this level of stickiness to my workflow I’ll probably be here for the duration.

1 Like

The double negative is a positive for you. Enjoy your participation (comments) on BDLL.

I use MX 18.3 as my “serious” distro but tend to spend more time on ArcoLinux-Plasma. You could call me an ArcoLinux fanboy.
Been using above for over a year after doing a lot of distro hopping. But enjoy the BDLL Distro Challenges on an old Lenovo laptop.
I don’t plan to change my present “workflow”.

Just downloaded Manjaro Xfce setting up and enjoying I’ll see how this goes, this is on a second desktop still have Fedora. PopOs was not going well so gave up.

Distro(s)

1. My main distro, installed as the default boot option (if you don’t select one of the other options) is MX Linux (currently all MX-19 beta 2.1

2. My backup is Debian updated from Debian 10 Buster to the Bullseye Testing branch (on 4 of my laptops)

3. For an Arch base my favourite is ArcoLinux - on 4 laptops, 2 others also have EndeavourOS which shows great promise.

4. varies, SparkyLinuc 6 semi-rolling (based on Debian Testing), of EndeavourOS, or (on 1 machine) Manjaro

Mostly I use the MX Linux installs but regularly use the others for a change.

All have Xfce (I think they are all Xfce 4.14 now) as th DE, I can muddle through Gnome, KDE Plasma, MATE and even LXQt is I must but I prefer Xfce, so sue me.

oh, I do have one machine, with just a 128GB SSD with Peppermint 9 because it has a Minetest World I tinker with and it only seems to work with the version of Minetest that came with Pepp 9

1 Like

I’m on ArcoBLinux-AwesomeWM and loving it!

1. Ubuntu server, centos, debian, pops, majaro.
  2. I have been running linux on the desktop on and off since 2000. Running multiple linux server non stop since 2000.
  3. Yes. More so since gaming support is getting better.