What distro are you running?

Been trying Linux on and off for years, but no tries ever lasted more than a day or two before I gave up.

Decided about 6 months ago to give it another whirl, so went with a distro I’d tried previously, Ubuntu. I plumped for the Budgie variant, as it appealed to me aesthetically.

Stuck with that for a couple of months, then heard about Arch, and its AUR, but wasn’t too keen on it breaking constantly, being a new user etc. So I decided to go for Manjaro, and I’m still using it as my main OS, 4 months later :slight_smile:

However I did install Arch at the weekend, and it’s been working great so far, so I’m currently dual booting both, both with the XFCE DE :smiley:

In fact I loved Manjaro so much I deleted my Win10 installation a couple of weeks ago, after I realised I hadn’t booted into it for about 3 months :smiley:

1 Like

1. What distro are you running?
Manjaro KDE 18.1.0

2. How long have you been using it?
About a week. I’ve been in an out of distros, mainly trying to make the eventual complete switch from Windows. However, Plasma is the DE that I always go back to, and Manjaro distro has been very solid.

3. Do you plan to stick with it?
Plan? Yes. Like many, distro hopping seems to have an addictive note to it, but it would be nice to find one that hits many of the sweet spots for longevity. Oddly enough, a week on a distro is pretty long for me! :heavy_check_mark:

MX Linux for me.

I’ve been running MX for about 2 years now. I certainly have not tried every flavor out there, but I really like MX and it’s XFCE implementation.

I definitely plan on sticking with MX. But that doesn’t mean that I won’t try other distro’s.

mrgfy, what is the difference between the Zen kernel and the Vanilla one? I tried the Zen kernel, and it worked well. I was thinking maybe a middle ground between the standard kernel and LTS

I picked Manjaro as my poison. At the moment with XFCE, but once in a while i think about switching to KDE. We will see.
I use Manjaro since November last year i think. And yes, i will stick to it.

1 Like

some ppl miss this link, zen is same code as liquorix https://liquorix.net/

Debian Stable for approximately past six years; no plans to change.

1 Like

Just curious if you ever run into needing an updated package or anything. I ran Debian servers for many years and they were bulletproof…unless I did something stupid that is.

Manjaro KDE as well, been using it for several months switching back and forth from Manjaro Deepin. I plan on sticking with it, but I’m open to alternatives and distro hop every now and then. Netrunner is interesting to me and I’ve been following that project.

1 Like
  1. Ubuntu 19.04
  2. Been using it since April 2019. I was using Pop!_OS for about a month before that. Otherwise I have been on main Ubuntu for 13 years.
  3. I plan on sticking with Ubuntu for my main machine for the foreseeable future. I have another laptop that I use for distro hopping, but I have yet to try one that I find better to the point I would switch. Everything I use is set up and works right now, so I don’t see a reason to mess with that right now.

I find flatpak and snap support very useful if I absolutely need a newer version of an app, as towards the end of the Stable cycle, mostly only security updates have been provided for usually about two years. Another advantage of Debian Stable is the sheer number of packages available from the repository, though their conservative approach does lead to packages sometimes being omitted that will need installation using more low-level techniques. Luckily I’ve not managed to ever break a Debian Stable installation, though a couple of times I got locked-out from logging-in, possibly due to making the silly mistake of logging into X as root :confused:

2 Likes

For my daily driver at work, it’s Ubuntu 18.04. But I run it on an old Thinkpad T420. So I ditched the DVD drive for a HDD caddy, and now I can distro hop as I please on the second drive. I have 5 extra SSDs so whenever I feel the itch, just pop the SSD in the caddy, and voilà.

2 Likes
  • What distro are you running?
    Fedora 30

• How long have you been using it?
    5 Months

• Do you plan to stick with it?
    Yes

1. elementary os
  2. in a complete noob so like 2 months
  3. I’ll definitely stick with elementary until if/when I feel experienced enough to use another distro. Although I do have a spare Windows laptop that I plan to experiment with other distros on when I get the chance.

I now have 3 machines running 3 different distros:

• All in One - Manjaro
  • Laptop - Arch
  • Desktop - Fedora 31 Beta Silverblue
  1. Kubuntu
  2. 8+ years
  3. I might stick with it. :wink:
5 Likes
  1. Arch, Fedora 30, Peppermint, Raspbian, Kali Linux, Fedora and Arch are my daily drivers on my desktop rig. Peppermint for my laptop.
  2. Fedora 6 months (but off and on for about 9 years mainly in the form of Korora)
    Arch for 2 years I guess??? (I used Revenge OS for quite some time prior)
  3. Yes… Maybe… Probably.

I switched to Suse Linux Pro 9.0 around 2003 as my main operating system. I bought it in a box with CD’s and manuals at a Best Buy in Tulsa and installed it in a Toshiba laptop while traveling to Wichita KS to visit my daughter. I was amazed that I had a trouble free installation. When we got to my daughter’s house I showed it to my granddaughter (about 5 years old at the time) and she fell in love with TuxPaint. I currently use openSuse 15.1 with KDE desktop.

I have started some classes where the students build a computer and install openSuse and take the computer home at the end of the class.

I have also used Redhat/Fedora, Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Centos, and others since about 1998, snd enjoyed all of them, but I will probably stick with openSuse. By the way I like YAST.

1 Like

BIG DEB RETURNS

I’m using Debian 10.1 with the GNOME Desktop, and I’ve been doing so since an hour ago. Big Deb is never really gone, so I can’t not stick with it.

2 Likes

I’m currently running Pop!_OS as my daily driver on an Oryx Pro and my main desktop PC.

Somehow, it’s the distro that “cured” me of distro-hopping (though I still explore as many distros as I can out of curiosity and knowledge-seeking).

I suppose it’s the first distro I felt completely content and happy with after more than a few weeks!

It’s also tuned particularly well for gamers (stuff like automatically downloading certain 32-bit libraries, Lutris in the Pop Shop, timely driver updates, etc).

And as a company, I just really dig the way System76 operates.

3 Likes