Favorite games on Linux?

Can I ask which version of TOR are you playing (GOG or something else)? Do you know of a tutorial to install GOG games? I amd e a post a few days ago about me having difficulty since they upgraded to 5.0.

Hi Dr. Ejoe

I have two questions to ask

1.) Which version of HOMM3 are you playing (GOG or steam)? If youā€™v einstalled via Lutris and are playing the GOG version, can you recommend a guide for installing games?

2.) I bought HOMM3 on GOG several years ago, just becuase due to the enormous praise it got on the internet. But as a new comer I was put off becuase it just felt so dated (and I was so overwhelmed with the gameplay). So my question to you is how much of your enjoyment of the game is a function of nostalgia vs the actual quality of the game? Sort of a corollary: do you genuinely believe new users, who have become used to innovations that have happened over the past 2 decades in gaming, should play the game?

Hi again

Please find my answers below

Ad 1)
Well Iā€™ve done the install on wine, Lutris and steam.
Canā€™t say the one is better than the other. Homm3 isnā€™t that demanding.

Ad 2)
Youā€™re right - the gameplay isnā€™t that great compared to new modern games. Itā€™s for sure an old game - and yes, I guess thatā€™s a kind of nostalgic that makes my spend time on it from time to time.
But again I think itā€™s good also for new games to play older games. Itā€™s great to know where the ā€œsourceā€ is coming from :wink:

Cheers //T

As Sar alludes to, you need to enable SteamPlay for all games within your settings. You can then try all Windows games and a lot of them will work!

1 Like

Late to the party on this thread, but I wanted to mention that the Logitech F310 is an underrated gem of my collection. I grabbed it years ago in a bargain bin and itā€™s been a trooper on just about every system Iā€™ve tried it on. Excellent RetroPi controller, great for sidescrollers on the PC, recognized by just about everything out of the box. I just ordered the RF wireless version, the F710, and I hope itā€™s as sturdy.

UPDATE - Got my F710 today, and it works beautifully in Linux just like its older sibling. Has a bit more heft to it due to the batteries and rumble mechanism.

3 Likes

City of Heroes: Homecoming
The original superhero MMORPG is back and free to play (no paid tiers anymore) with all features activated and servers being run by people who love this game. There is a Linux installer/launcher called Island Rum which can be downloaded from here. There is an install script on Lutris, but the Island Rum launcher enables the 64-bit client. There is new content being developed and the game is very active.

2 Likes

I mostly use steam + proton (if needed) and I really like the flathub games (easy to change OS with it):
0AD OpenRA MegaGlest BattleFWesnoth EndlessSky FreeOrion RuneScape SuperTux SuperTuxKart, I played blizzard games not after warcraft III move to battle net, I port my EA games and play in steam.

Steam games: Sid Meierā€™s Starships, Civilization, Stellaris, Age Of Empires II HD/DE, C&C Red Alert ALL, Star Traders Frontiers, Albion, X Com, Star Wars The Old Republic, Star Wars Empire At War + Mods: StarGate, Guns Of Icarus, Star Wars KOTOR, Tomb Raider, Total War, Villagers&Heroes.

Newest game I play: star wars jedi faller oder (took me hours to make it run in Linux, was worth it).
Newest indie game: Star Traders Frontiers (Works great even on ARM tablet and Linux Phone).
all time favorite games for team play: Guns of Icarus, Star Wars the Old Republic, SuperTuxKart.

Regards, Alex

This is the one game I was never able to get running in Linux. Back on Windows temporarily due to hardware issues, but Iā€™ll definitely give this a bash when Iā€™m back on Linux (hopefully this weekend)!

well I always had success with steam proton even with games outside of steam account, for example star wars the old republic (install the game via ea origin, add to steam library, play with steam proton) and many many others. even some native linux games run better with steam proton (star traders frontiers).

Regards, Alex

Didnā€™t see it mentioned anywhere, but Iā€™ve been loving One Step from Eden. Itā€™s very reminiscent of the MegaMan Battle Network series and the OST is incredible. Itā€™s on Steam and I think there are plans to also sell it on GoG, not sure though.

P.S. Itā€™s native on Linux, soā€¦ big plus there

1 Like

Some of my favorite games are the following:

• 0 A.D.
  • Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (Steam Proton)
  • Arma 3 (Steam Proton)
  • Company of Heroes (Steam Proton)
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • OpenRA
  • Portal 2
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Road Redemption
  • SuperTuxKart
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Torchlight II
  • Wargame: Red Dragon
  • Xonotic

Also have to throw in a little Starcraft II and Warcraft 3: Reforged through Lutris. :grin:

1 Like

I hadnā€™t heard about the SkyUI fix. Does this mean that patching for F4SE/SKSE64 is no longer required?

EDIT: Derp. Assumed Skyrim SE.

The one and only game which I just MUST have on my both Linux computers is (all rise) Sid Meierā€™s Alpha Centauri (you can take back your seats). You can get it legaly from GOG.com and if you download Loki libs from internet you can easily install SMAC on any Debian-based distribution. I think this game could be the main reason I actually use Debian-based distros :slight_smile: If anyone ever works out how to have it nativelly running on openSuSE or Manjaro Iā€™ll be tempted to distro hop, lol.
Anyway, SMAC was published in 1999 and until now is redarded to be one of the best sci-fi turn-based strategy games. Imagine that: my 11 years old son considers SMAC to be his favourite game of all. This must mean something :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been playing the crap out of Slay the Spire, a card-based roguelike, and it is available on just about any platform, but Iā€™m playing it through the GOG release. They recently released a new content patch.

I have done this for many games from blizzard (Battle Net) EA (Origin), never tried it with GOG or Itch IO but it might work, I know IT works for SID meiers Starships and Cilivizaion 1-6+civilization beyond earth. copy the windows install files, setup STEAM+PROTON Play (windows compatibility game play), install the game add it to steam library and run in, on VALVEā€™s Steam help page you can find how to add games installed outside of steam to steam. ā€œAdd Non-Steam Games to a Libraryā€ Steam Support :: Add Non-Steam Games to a Library
This is tried on PopOS/Linux Mint/Ubuntu, Fedora Workstation and Manjaro 20.0.3 GNOME recently.
works for Intel CPU and Intel GPU (not sure about nvidia or AMD).

Regards, Alex

1 Like

I have this strange obsession with the ā€œgameā€ of eliminating all proprietary software from my life, when Open Source will do. Like itā€™s a game all unto itself, that feels strangely rewarding. Like Iā€™m a freer person afterward. And not just ā€œpretend,ā€ like winning a game.

1 Like

You have a goal, restrictions, and agency. However a game also lacks real world relevance. Your example is just removing software from your computer. You are just describing real life. Real life isnā€™t a game.

I recommend Endless Sky. It is floss and you can play it and not be the guy who looks down on people doing the thing the thread is about.

you got many FOSS games, flathub org has about 212 games that are fully FOSS, just as an example.
at my company we have a game room pool table, darts, old school game console for 10 retro games + steam PC with steam games and I even play games on my work / test PC at the office (normally when I get the time and not under preasure about timelines and projects we also play LAN multiplayer games).
Games can be relaxing and team games help with team building exercises I visited few E Sports tournaments in 2019 and personally I would rather watch that then go to another sport, my choice.

Regards, Alex

I like to think that I donā€™t look down on others. Iā€™m glad you are all enjoying games in Linux. Thanks for your suggestion about Endless Sky.

Lately Iā€™ve been playing a lot of Card City Nights (native on Linux). Itā€™s a nice casual CCG style battle card game. Gives me some MTG nostalgia to win booster packs and build my deck. The artwork reminds me of Scott Pilgrim, and the sense of humor is really bizarre.