Favorite games on Linux?

Can I take advantage of this thread and ask if someone is willing to explain “how to” Sony PS / PS2 / PS3 emulation on the Linux machine?
Hope you won’t mind because of the (slight) off-topic. :slight_smile:

I’ve been a sucker for Valve and id games going back to Quake and the original Team Fortress. When Steam and HL2 became available on Linux, I quit being a filthy dual-booter.

So, little surprise that my favorites overall have been:

• Half-Life 2
  • Portal 2
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Doom 3

I really enjoyed Rocket League very, very briefly but was absolutely awful at it and felt bad for anyone who got saddled with me as a teammate, so I haven’t played it much at all.

1 Like

A bunch has been mentioned here already that I like, but after scrolling through my library I was reminded of Broforce. Oh man, if you’re looking to have a good time and laugh your ass off with the characters, play Broforce. I’ll add games as they come to me which I’ve found to be fun.

Company of Heroes 2
Warthunder (Groundforces)
GuildWars 2 (thru Lutirs/Wine)
Road to Redemption

I virtually never play video games anymore, but I had a recent pleasant experience introducing Super Tux Kart to my two nephews, on my Asus Zenbook (with integrated Intel graphics chip). It just worked. One nephew had recently received Logitech F310 gamepads, which just worked also.

Back in the early 2000’s, I played lots of retro games in Linux, using Microsoft Sidewinder USB gamepads.

Just like @zebedee.boss, I prefer pixels in my games.

Play a lot of Minecraft with my son, stellaris when I’m in a mood for strategy, and euro tuck sim/American trick sim when I just want to relax and enjoy the drive.

I’ve been playing a lot more Skyrim recently, with the update to proton 4.11, which lets skyui work as expected.

2 Likes

Last night I installed Medal of Honor for the first time in Peppermint Linux. I distrohopped to this one on Zebedee Boss’s recommendation. It’s got Mesa Vulkan drivers for my AMD video card, and is my main OS now. MOH ran so well, I played it for several hours without a care, Proton handled it just fine. Otherwise it’s Minecraft or Euro Truck or American Truck Simulator. Zebedee Boss is having a huge influence on us I think…

1 Like

My favorite game since 1993: Solitaire

3 Likes
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione (especially with a Logitech wheel. Thrustmaster ones don’t support FFB on Linux yet)
  • TT isle of Man
  • Fighting games (Guilty Gear XRD Revelator, BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, King Of Fighters XIV, Tekken 7 etc…)
1 Like

I’m really enjoying getting back to my old Skyrim which had preserved a number of cloud save games via Steam from when I played it on Windows.

This post has given me some more ideas too, thanks all!

I also used to play a lot of Warframe so I think I’ll give that a try next on my now Manjaro gaming rig
:slight_smile:

OpenTTD. Thanks for the tip on protontricks @jonpryde

Before I permanently switched my daily driver from Windows 7 to Linux, I was really waiting for gaming to improve. Then the native Steam client dropped and my most played Windows game was Mount & Blade - to my amazement, there was a native Linux version available and the fact that you didn’t have to pay for it again, you could just download it for Linux - I was sold. So not only is this my favorite game, it was the tipping point for switching fully to Linux.

Of course, things are even better now - I really enjoyed Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 & New Vegas on Windows and they all run perfectly in Linux, thanks to Proton.

5 Likes

I caved and bought an Epic Games Store game the other day: The Outer Worlds.

Great game, but I’ve noticed it stutters an awful lot (it’s installed on an SSD with all my other games, none of which show issues). No idea if that’s because of Linux or if it’s the same in Windows 10. Guess I could install it under Win10 and give it a go, but it can get annoying as hell when trying to play, and I’d much rather play it in Linux.

you might find some useful info in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDz7vXNcUPU

2 Likes

That’s exactly the process I ran through to install the EGS and TOW, and even he has massive framerate drops in that video in pretty much the same places I did too, with the screen freezing up for over a second at times.

I played for a bit last night and ran into less issues, so maybe it’s still compiling shaders, even though I’ve got DXVK showing the message when it’s doing that which isn’t showing all the time during FPS drops.

I’ll tough it out, because I’m really enjoying the game, as it’s a cross between the Bethesda Fallout games (3 & 4) and Bioshock in places. Loving it and thoroughly recommend it :+1:

Hmmm. I played Skyrim a bunch when it first came out and I still had a PC on Windows. I was going to reinstall in from steam this last weekend to check it out on Pop!_OS but the install button was greyed out and it didn’t list Linux/Steam_OS as an option. What am I missing?

People had issues with Outer Worlds on Windows as well.

You might need to enable Steam Play for it (or all games) from the Steam Settings.

Good to know I’m not alone :joy:

I’m playing Rise of the Tomb Raider for the first time right now. I just left the Soviet installation. I’m really enjoying the game play and story. I plan to go back and compete the Baba Yaga story though.

1 Like

Another guy who has played Dex!

It really is a charming game. A callback to action adventures of days gone past in an interesting cyberpunk environment.

I personally wouldn’t call it amongst the greatest games or anything, but I do think it is a game that a lot of ppeople should play. A great RPG.

(As for your nubmber 2 choice, I’ve bought ToT, but haven’t gone aroudn to installing it yet. But that’s good that it comes highly recommended, it is the second time I’ve bought it:). I returned it the first time becuase of buyer’s remorse).