What distro are you running?

• What distro are you running?

Arch (gnome)

• How long have you been using it?

About a month

• Do you plan to stick with it?

Yes. So far it’s the best distro I’ve used. I had used Ubuntu for about 4 years, then Fedora for about two and recently decided to make the jump to Arch and it’s speed, coupled with far more cutting edge offerings has made it really enjoyable.

2 Likes

I have been running (1) Arch Linux for the past (2) 7 years. I definitely am sticking with it.

2 Likes

What distro are you running?

Ubuntu Budgie & PopOS!

How long have you been using it?

Ubuntu Budgie (almost 5yrs), PopOS! (1 months currently)

Do you plan to stick with it?

Yes, I’m stick with PopOS!. So far it’s the best distro for multimedia and multi-language input without mess up anywhere, just tick and install. Well done PopOS!

Laptop

1. Pop_OS!
  2. Almost two years
  3. Hell yes.

Desktop

1. Pop_OS
  2. 1 year+
  3. Yes.

Testing Laptop

1. Salient OS
  2. 3 weeks
  3. Most likely now. I don’t like xfce and the OS is a bit unstable.

I’ve always had a thing for rolling releases so for the past 3 weeks I’ve been running Debian Bullseye 11 Sid Cinnamon on one Thinkpad T520, and on my 2nd I’ve been running Arch KDE for about a week. On my Acer Aspire I’ve running Ubuntu 20.04 for 10 days (Cinnamon for 3 of those). Ubuntu is getting better since the feature freeze.

Today, I have openSUSE Tumbleweed running on nearly all of my machines. openSUSE running on another. I find Tumbleweed is great for Desktop and server applications. I just make it a point to run updates anywhere between weekly and monthly. Not because of breakage but because of security and I happen to like the “new shiny” in my systems. I actually started using Tumbleweed because Leap was kind of boring. I didn’t find bugs, I didn’t have problems and I wanted to do things. Now in Tumbleweed, I get to file bugs but not as often as I thought and I think I am happy about that, actually.

1 Like

The last few weeks I have been distrohopping a lot :sweat_smile:, these include the following distributions MX Linux 19, Manjaro 18 KDE, Fedora 31 Gnome and KDE, Mint Debian Edition and 19.3 Cinnamon, Debian 10, Kubuntu, EndeavourOS, Elementry OS and PopOS and finally yesterday I installed Zorin OS.

Because of the distohopping my preferred Desktop Environment leans to Cinnamon and KDE. :blush:

I guess I am looking for a distro that suits my needs and experience with Linux, which works good for me out of the box with my laptop.

Welcome, and happy hopping. Hope you find one that feels like home.

UPDATED from Oct 2019
Ubuntu since 2008, but Mate (2018, memory efficiency) or Xubuntu (2011, video driver bugs) occasionally for half a year or so.
Desktop Ryzen 3 2200G (16 GB, 512 GB nvme, 1.5 TB HDDs): Ubuntu 20.04 minimal install
Laptop i5 2520M (8 GB, 1 TB SSHD): Ubuntu Mate 19.10
Both boot and run from ZFS and both run exactly the same Virtualbox Virtual Machines:

• Xubuntu 20.04: Office work, Torrents, WhatsApp, Email
  • Ubuntu 16.04.6: Banking & Paypal exclusively! For probably another year in honor of Unity :slight_smile:
  • Ubuntu Mate 20.04: Music with Lollypop and other multimedia stuff.
  • Ubuntu 20.04: Experiments like DOSBOX, running DOSSHELL with WINTER and WOLFENSTEIN and LBRY App.
  • Windows 10: Dutch TV Viewer (Windows only)

Backup Server Pentium 4 HT (3.0GHz, 1.25 GB): FreeBSD 12.1 32-bits, boots and runs ZFS for 1 hour/week. Four striped HDDs (66% Full): 2 x IDE 3.5"; 320+250GB and 2 x SATA-1, 2.5"; 2 x 320GB
Only two cables: Power and Ethernet 1 Gbps (effectively ~200 Mbps with 90% CPU load)
Controlled by SSH or RDP (with FreeBSD conky display)

Two changes:

• Xubuntu has some annoying flicker with 3D Vbox, so I moved the video stuff to Ubuntu Mate.
  • Windows Media Player (XP) has been dumped for Lollypop (Mate). WMP lost its tag editor and does not support m4a. Lollypop has a better GUI and has good suggestions to play music. I now use Ubuntu Mate for Music and Video (OpenShot).

Windows XP has been moved to the Windows Classics archives on the 2 striped HDDs. Win XP has been installed in 2011 and has run on 3 different desktops and 2 laptops, it is retired now in its natural habitat of HDDs :slight_smile:

Update, I had a Arch issue that stopped my system from booting in the middle of a crucial project (thankfully backed up to Nextcloud). I thankfully had a USB drive that had Manjaro on it, as I was thinking about switching to that before I moved to Arch.

Long story short, I am now on Manjaro and I am grateful this happened because as much as I loved Arch, this OS is fantastic.

I’ve started Distro Hopping again, after my Blue Yeti mic started playing up in Arch-based distros (Manjaro & Salient mainly, where it will unmute input when audio starts playing - a wierd situation that’s only happened recently).

So I tried Pop, and it was lovely until I tried using extensions or installing another DE. Neither situation worked out well tbh.

I also tried Peppermint, but man it makes some weird ass choices wrt basic functionality. For a distro based on Debian & XFCE, it actually strips functionality from a base XFCE install - different wallpapers per monitor (and per workspace)? In XFCE, sure no problem! However in Peppermint? Nope!

So I’ve got Sparky Linux installed atm, and will be giving Xubuntu a crack over the weekend, but I’ve a feeling I’ll be leaning more towards Sparky atm, given how it’s more up to date with the likes of the kernel and regular software.

Have you tried nitrogen? It should help in this specific situation :+1:

Thing is that Peppermint does not really use the full Xfce stack AFAIK. They mix and match with other DE components.

Yeah it’s a weird mix tbh, but I’ve decided to try Xubuntu instead and for me it’s working out to be pretty much perfect so far.

My mic works as it should, which is important, everything runs butter smooth and it uses vanilla XFCE which is my joint favourite DE along with Plasma :+1:

Loving it tbh, at least as much as I ever enjoyed Manjaro/Arch.

I run 5 different Linux version at the moment.

Fedora atomic or now Fedora IoT for my “sensors” small intel PCs, raspberry pi 4 and Pock Pi.
Fedora Workstation 32+ Fedora Labs repository for my Work PC
Fedora Silverblue 33 Rawhive for my Work Test PC
OpenWRT for my router, CentOS for my NextCloud.
One test Legacy BSD (just keeping it for testing) and Endian Firewall based on BSD (only non linux)

All of my above mentioned configurations will probably stay this way since I use them for 5+ years.

About my home entertainment PC (now on Arch Manjaro + tablet / phone) that is for the past year.
tablet / phone on ARM Manjaro pinebook version and my home entertainment system76 laptop is Arch Manjaro is on GMONE DE (tried KDE plasma had issues with the GPU and dual monitor setup) + from Fedora I am more used to GNOME shortcuts and all the rest, but I like and I use KDE on my tablet.

My home pc and tablet for now are on manjaro (used to use elementary and linux mint before) I will probably stick with manjaro for now, since version 19/20 it is really stable and has latest kernels.

Regards, Alex

P.S. Any advice for a Linux based solution that will replace my endian firewall would be great, I already use OpenWRT as a custom router, but it lacks the features that endian IDS/IPS offers at least for now.

Windows 10 :sob::cry:

Atm Linux has issues with my memory all of a sudden when trying to play WoW, so I’ve had to revert back to Win10 until I can solve the issue in linux. I’ve got new memory coming tomorrow, so I’ll know then if it’s a memory issue or the motherboard.

Worst case scenario is I’m still having to use Windows, but will have 32Gb of ram…

I really want to get back onto Linux again though. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

well I plan never to go back to windosw 10/11 what ever is the latest, left windows 14 years ago before windows 7 was release, I used WinXP last, but I read that windows 10 is a “good spy” tool and people at least in the business world still prefer windows 7 over windows 10 probably due to compatibility.
I used MacOS after I quit windows, until 2010, then I moved to Linux and never looked back.

I hope you solve your problem and get back to Linux as soon as possible.
Regards, Alex

1 Like

Currently, I use only NixOS. However, I’ve distrohopped a ton since I started using Linux Mint about a year or two ago.

1 Like

Compared to last year what changed now is that I have KDE Neon 20.04 Testing Edition (with Pop!_OS repo enabled) on my gaming desktop.

My new laptop, ThinkPad X1 Yoga, has Kubuntu 20.04.

My old laptop, Lenovo Z40, has Ubuntu Unity 20.10 (will use the Rolling Rhino script soon) & Windows 10 (in case someone from work needs help, and require me to use Windows).

1 Like

Think I’ve nailed it down to a bug in DXVK/VKD3D so far. Some further testing needed…

1 Like