What distro are you running?

I should update following a change.

Fedora 35 - gnome - 2700X 5700XT 32GB
Fedora 35 - gnome - 4700U vega 64GB
Open Suse Tumbleweed - gnome - 3500U vega 8GB
Fedora 35 - xfce - Pentium 4 Core igpu 2GB

This last one barely functions, considering hopping back to Ubuntu Mate which I remember being faster.

I went back a bit on Ubuntu Budgie to see what’s new and how it fares on the gaming laptop I didn’t have the last time I ran Budgie. It’s all nice and easy even if Zorin will remain my daily driver for now. Might not stay that way for long, I really like the customization of Budgie.

Went through a long stretch when I was more happy playing with Linux on my old laptop and did not have to muck around with uefi.

So much practice playing around with MBR partitions. And did not know what I was doing under the new rules.

The documentation on the internet still seems to be all over the place. Some of the more straight forward guides that I have found are mostly out of date, or the distros have moved on. Starting to get the hang of it.

Looks like I am back to Manjaro.

Am steering away from Ubuntu distros for now because I do not like what they are doing with Snaps and would prefer not to have to rely on Flatpak either if I am honest. Will use them for the odd app but prefer my base to be solid. I do miss Solus and was tempted to try Gecko which is based on SUSE, but have installed the Budgie spin of Manjaro. And content for now. It gives me some of what I miss from Solus with a larger repository.

Couple months later, I dropped Budgie and Zorin as I had strange stuff happening with both. I know I could have hold on and tried to figure things out but DHS kicked in and I wanted to try out the new POP OS. I still very much like POP and I’ll make it my daily driver for the next months at least.

On another partition I installed Garuda Dragonized which looks very nice and complete. Never dug deep on an Arch install so between that and the overwhelming options of KDE, it will be some time before getting at ease with it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

What distro are you running?
Manjaro KDE on my main desktop PC.
Stock Arch with XFCE on my laptop.
Raspbian on 2 Raspberry Pi’s.

How long have you been using it?
Manjaro KDE has been running for 2 months on this new PC since it was built and maybe 1 1/2 years on the previous desktop (still installed but the machine is unused at the moment).
Arch has been running on the laptop for nearly 3 years now.
Raspbian has been running for over a year now on both Pi’s.

Do you plan to stick with it?
No plans to change the desktop or laptop.
One Pi 3 will be left as it is, the other is getting played around with at some point…maybe a RetroPie or media centre focused OS.

I popped into the Live stream chat a couple nights ago and chatted with @MichaelTunnell and others there. After expressing my Fedora FOMO, I went ahead and took the plunge.

I’m now on Fedora KDE spin, and I’ve installed the OpenCL portion of AMD’s proprietary drivers so that I can use HIP to render in Blender using my AMD card.

Thanks for all the advice, and for recommending the fantastic Fedora community!

1 Like

I should update following further changes.

Fedora 36 - gnome - 5900X 5700XT 32GB
Fedora 36 - gnome - 4700U vega 64GB
Fedora 36 - gnome - 3500U vega 8GB
Ubuntu Mate - Pentium, 4 Core igpu 2GB

1 Like

I’m back on Fedora Silverblue after spending quite some time on chromeOS, and prior to that, macOS. I’m in the middle of writing a few articles about Fedora Silverblue as well as fixing some issues with Intel 12th gen on Linux.

But it’s all going great so far! :smiley:

1 Like

Kubuntu…

… or is it Kwindows 11? :thinking:

• Minimal install of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on my 2019 Ryzen 3 2200G(16GB)
  • Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on my 2011 i5-2520M (8GB)

and both run the same weekly synced Virtualbox VMs, run from the OpenZFS 2.1.4 COW file system.

• Xubuntu 22.04 LTS for all communication apps.
  • Ubuntu 16.04 ESM for Banking and PayPal, the vdi disk image is encrypted by VBox.
  • Ubuntu Studio 20,04 LTS for multimedia, I don’t like kde.
  • Ubuntu 22.04 LTS for experiments,
  • Windows XP, to play the wma copies of my CDs and LPs with WoW and TrueBass effects
  • Windows 11 Pro, just in case.

And since this week

• my 2009 favorite: gOS 3.1, based on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and Linux 2.6.24.
    A 2009 distro conceptually still more modern than many current distros. The dock has ~8 Google Internet Apps and Skype.
    See the screenshot and look at the Conky details, like 174 MB memory usage :slight_smile:

1 Like

3 years now on Arch with Budgie DE as my daily, no plans to hop anywhere else. Debian 11 for my TV pc (I just want it to work every time) For 2 years My wife has run Pop Os (she loves it) Fedora on our inherited Chrome book. (runs great!)
I’ve been a full time Linux user since Vista came out , It’s what made me jump ship from Windows.

1 Like

After half a day of work, another distro from the past Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. The first LTS release and the only one delayed 2 months :slight_smile:

The system did work best with one of the oldest Virtualbox Guest Additions I could find 4.1.44 from 2008 :slight_smile: Virtualbox refused to install their video driver, because Linux 2.6.15-57 was too old. I had to use dpkg-reconfigure the xserver to get a nice resolution for the display 1440x960.
Ubuntu uses a whopping 89 MB of the 256 MB of memory available and uses 2.5 GB of disk space.

After installing I can play the music again from the VBox shared libraries. Finding the codecs has been more complex and I did run into some issues. Also copy/paste is working from host to guest and vice versa.

I had to use floppies again, before I got the access to Virtualbox Shared Folder: sf_data.

2 Likes

Ample reason right there. I remember thinking that they should have no right to release a beta version of an OS unto 200 million users.

1 Like
  1. Pop! OS
  2. About two years
  3. I think I’ll be sticking with it, especially with their new DE, whenever that comes. If I would switch to anything, it’d likely be Debian.
1 Like

After a bit of a hiatus, I installed F36 on a newly purchased Lenovo Yoga 9i (2022). Great experience, not sure why I never tried it before, but everything has worked flawlessly … except for the speakers.

This laptop has a sort of speaker “bar” between the monitor and the base which houses several speakers (that sound GREAT on windoze). After some researching, seemed like the new kernel (6+) would be the remedy. However, after installing F37 and upgrading to the new kernel, I’m still experience the same issue. The two tweeter speakers are the only ones outputting sound. There are other speakers in the bar, but for the life of me, I can’t figure out how to get them to work.

Anyway, it’s actually been a very pleasant experience with F37.

I’ve just installed Lubuntu on this, probably close to ten year old ex-Windows-8 machine, that basically became unusable when it was upgraded to Windows 10. Debian 11 under Gnome didn’t improve it much, but wow… This Lubuntu’s multitasking fine and all sorts. Delighted!

2 Likes

Jumped over to Kubuntu and got a little curious with polybar and plasma. Works great! Coupled it with Latte for some added functionality.

1 Like
  1. Linux Mint
  2. Since ~2015 (that is, running it full time)
  3. Yep.

Years ago, I used to have a home file server setup. Initially, I set it up with an OldWorldROM PowerMacintosh G3/266 Desktop. (That was an utter PITA, but that’s a discussion for another time.) Eventually, I replaced that with a Mac mini G4/1.25GHz unit, and I ran it until the computer suffered a hardware failure. Both of those systems were set up with Debian because it’s super-stable.

The very first distro I ever touched as RedHat 4.2 (a friend of mine burned the ISOs to CDs for me) but I didn’t really start to play around with Linux until Fedora Core 1 came out. I’ve played around rather extensively with FC 1, 2, 3, 4, and then some later releases. I played around a little bit with Mandrake, and later Mandriva. However, let’s move forward into the modern era, where I can say I’ve used Ubuntu pre-Unity, also Unity and then later Gnome 3.x. I’ve played with modern releases of Fedora, as well as openSUSE, and for a time played around with Solus. There’s also been others which are derivatives of those (CentOS comes to mind).

Honestly, nothing impresses me the way the software centers found on Ubuntu and its derivatives does. I get the whole “different strokes for different folks” thing, but in my opinion it is exceedingly hard to find a polished and professional desktop Linux distro (in the “all-around” sense) and those which exist are all Ubuntu-based, and in particular my daily driver, Linux Mint.

1. NixOS Unstable(Flakes) on my desktop and NixOS Stable on my laptop.
  2. Since a month ago, but I’ve run NixOS here and there before I switched fully to using it.
  3. I’m definitely sticking with it, altho Fedora Silverblue always gets me hyped too.

My first distro was SUSE, that I bought from Best Buy. It was amazing, and really hyped for what I could do my computer if I had full control. For quite a while I stuck with everything OpenSUSE, then have basically tried every distro under the sun.

Then NixOS and immutable systems came along, and me, knowing that there’s always a possibility of something going wrong during a system install or package install, found it amazing. Finally I could have a system that looks out for itself, and one that is easy to parse once you learn the language!

Along with using NixOS, I decided, why not go all out and start using an advanced filesystem, so I chose ZFS. Michael W Lucas has written 2 books on ZFS that greatly helped me understand what all you could do with the system, so that was awesome. It took a few tries for me to learn everything NixOS and ZFS related, but now I have regular filesystem snapshots and a system that can be easily rolled back should an upgrade mess up. Users of traditional systems such as Arch need to regularly upgrade and keep on their toes regarding anything that changes, but with NixOS and adjacent immutable systems, if an upgrade goes wrong, I can simply rollback and forget about it until they fix it. Furthermore, NixOS and Fedora Silverblue are so simple to install nowadays unless(In the case of NixOS) you want an advanced filesystem. So I heartily recommend it!

I did it. Finally, made the leap into Arch. For a long time, I had dodged making it happen, but took the time a couple weekends ago to install it. It’s enjoyable.

BSPWM + polybar

Edit: Rather than making a new post, just updating this one. Did some more tweaking and experimenting. Switched to alacritty from terminator, themed rofi, added glava, using btop.

Themed firefox as well

6 Likes