What distro are you running?

I’ve been using Arch with KDE on my ThinkPad T440p for the past few months which has surprised me as I’ve never really bothered to stick with Arch for any length of time before now. I’m glad I’ve stuck with it though, as it’s been a wonderful learning experience to set up and use as a daily driver and workhorse during lockdown. It’s also been rock solid with only one or two issues due to my incompetence rather than the distro itself.

1 Like
  1. I’m running Fedora on most of my machines, with the exception of one of my Raspberry Pi devices and one of my older Chromebook devices running openSUSE Tumbleweed (since it was the only distro I could get working on them…).
  2. I’ve been using Fedora in some capacity since the first release in 2003, I made it my main daily driver in 2013 and kept with it since.
  3. I have no plans to move away from Fedora as my main Linux distribution. I have my “rolling Linux” needs satisfied by openSUSE Tumbleweed where I need it, and Fedora strikes a nice balance for me on freshness and stability.
2 Likes

One machine. Sparky 6 LXQT/Openbox dual boot with LMDE4 Liquorix.
Behind me. MX19 XFCE,Sparky 6 XFCE and Deepin.
Thumb drive Antix 19,3 released yesterday.
Yeah. I like Debian

1 Like

How long have you been using it?
Do you plan to stick with it?

I’ve installed Kubuntu this weekend on my laptop and i must say, i’m impressed. This is a very sleek, responsive OS. It takes a while to get used to the environment, but it’s going along fine. I’m impressed with the tools it has straight out of the box.
This will stay on my laptop for some time indeed.

You’ll be running Pop for a looooong time. Sadly, I dont see/hear much from the Pepper crowd. They had it going on. They should have went Debian testing and had it done in a month

KDE Neon 5.20
Three days :grin:
A few months at least. I try to stick with a distro much longer now so I can really dig into it. I love customization and KDE seems endless on that field.
Last one was Ubuntu Budgie and I ended up breaking it when updating from 20.04 to 20.10. I tried to solve the issue and did but also added more problems :crazy_face: That was then the perfect opportunity to start something else :wink:

Timeshift is your friend !

I know I should go back to a healthy backup schedule :sweat_smile: I used to but nowadays I don’t have anything important on the computer (everything is on the NAS) and no work is done on it. When I see the time I already spent on fine tuning KDE I should really do that :grin:

At this moment…LXQt On the other LXDE Sparky

Actually, I’m their web admin. We’re working on it heavily. But yeah, progress has been slow.

PopOS
3 or 4 months
When I have more time, I may go back to Fedora. Just have to rewrite ‘wget -q -O - “https://pastebin.com/raw/xTRVbqSm” | dos2unix’ Kinda started https://pastebin.com/raw/zrqtJkSk

I am currently running pop os on my entertainment machine and fedora on my work machine

What distro are you running? Mint and Kubuntu
How long have you been using it? Mint: several years, Kubuntu; recently
Do you plan to stick with it? Yes. I’m going to keep them both.

I’ve installed Kubuntu on a desktop this weekend. The more i use it, the more i’m liking it.
So now there’s a mix of Mint and Kubuntu in the house.

I’ve been looking to build a new system. There’s no question about the parts, that’s settled, but what distro shoud i run on this one? I’m guessing Kubuntu, but that’s not sure yet.

Slow is good. Debian is historically slow. That’s why it is superior to others.

Kubuntu 20.10
2 days :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
It really depends on the 2-3 weeks ahead. I ran into several issues with KDE Neon I couldn’t resolve and there were also stuff that were working then not. It could be seen as giving up too soon but there’s too many great distros to spend my time fighting with one :upside_down_face:

I am running Fedora 33 on both my laptops. I switched to Fedora from POP OS because I tried Fedora Beta on a spare HD and it just worked. POP OS also just worked but I kind of like the bare Gnome experience. It’s been 11 or 12 years since I have used an RPM-based distro. (Mandriva) I guess I have been using it for about a month and a half now and so far it is a keeper. I think I got burned out with KDE. Manjaro is my favorite distro but for some reason, Manjaro Gnome doesn’t see my Epson printer and doesn’t let me add it and I just don’t have the time anymore to keep trying different solutions. I am at the point where I just need my computer to work and not distro hop. Fedora 33 is letting me do just that.

I’m still on Debian Stable but I’ve been experimenting a little with faster-moving distros as it’s possible I will need one for newer hardware when the time is right. As far as I know, PinebookPro has Manjaro as its flagship and also for the Pinephone, so I’m trying Manjaro again on a VM after a poor experience last time I tried, more than a year ago. Also looks like I missed the discussion that has apparently been causing people to move from Manjaro to Endeavour. Insights appreciated. Besides that I have Fedora33 running in a vm too and if my next hardware isn’t a PinebookPro, it’s likely I will be using Fedora33 as my main system, at least initially, given hardware support on Debian takes a while to come around.

Right now you can install kernel 5.8 from backports.

2 Likes

Keep fighting the good fight @vinylninja

2 Likes

I’ve been experimenting a lot but currently i’m running Debian Stable as my host and Debian Sid for my VMs where I do all my computing.

It’s been surprisingly dependable though I took the leap because i’ve been transitioning toward stateless setups and well documenting installation. It’s very freeing not having to care if your OS works because you can produce another so quickly and a lot of my home directory configs are now just softlinks to storage over SSHFS.

Currently experimenting with a transition to Fedora though that’s for different reasons.