What distro are you running?

I was only interested about Linux before 2010 since I only started using it fully in 2010.
My apologies will avoid the topic and this forum for a while not to offend anyone.

Regards, Alex.

Thank you for posting this rational response.

1 Like

Exactly. Before I was even a full time Linux user I installed Suse or however it was officially called back then in the 90s as a kid and yes, in Germany. It destroyed my Windows copy of course because I had no clue. I never thought I would some day be a full Linux user in the future.

1 Like

WendyG
My apology again for any misunderstanding, I was and will be always interested about linux pre 2010.
In Manjaro forum people said you were member of tromjaro (linux spin based on manjaro) you have a similar username here as on manjaro forum exact same photo I assume you maybe the same person, hence I found it interesting why you say I use manjaro not tromjaro (+tromjaro has gnome as main DE) and why you favor KDE over the companies default GNOME, apologies again for my assumption.

My deepest apology again to you or anyone else I may have if I offended with my posts above.

Regards, Alex

Back on topic, I’m currently using PopOS 20.04, and I’ve used it on-and-off for the past year or so. I hop around a lot (like…two or three times a week) but Pop is a good “safe harbor” distro usually. I like the aesthetic they have with their Gnome desktop, and the fact that it’s made by a Linux hardware manufacturer in my country.

That said, I’m extremely finicky about my OS so there may be something that crops up soon that makes me go “ooh, shiny!” for another distro. Who am I kidding, that’s pretty much a sure thing.

I was mac os user for a while 10+ year, moved to Linux over a year ago, tried few stuck with manjaro.
at first used gnome as any mac os user, then I moved to KDE, and I like the plasma on pc and arm.

have a great weekend to everyone, this is a wonderful community and I am glad I joined.
Best, Lexie.

2 Likes

Apple was my first computer (1986, a IIgs) and my dad had mostly Macs in our house growing up. My last Mac was a 2003 MacBook Pro that I had for about 7 years. They made excellent machines back in the day.

1 Like

well I moved fully from Apple phone, tablet, PC, still using my mac book pro for manjaro until I get my system76, but my tablet is using manjaro plasma. and I got recently pinebook pro works great.

I moved from Apple after 19 years I was unhappy with it in general. My best friends boyfriend or fiance @AstraAdria4Ari conviced me over 1 year ago to move to Linux I did and I am happy with it now.

As I bio chemist I even learned to make timeshift backup, backup home with dejadup even installed from usb my tablet even burned the usb on my own (probably easy for everyone here I guess).

Lexie.

1 Like

When I joined the forum I didn’t participate in this thread as I was still distro hopping. As time went by I kept coming back to Ubuntu Budgie only to try something else. Until 20.04 came around :blush: I updated and felt a great improvement in snappiness, which is common to other Ubuntus I guess. Apart from curiosity it was the reason why I was testing other distros. I realized I really like the interface and everything I need works fine so it’s time to give my favorite distro some love !

• Ubuntu Budgie 20.04
  • Approximately a year with lots of interruptions
  • Until that DHS kicks in again :crazy_face:

I have been using Manjaro Plasma on my main machine. I have been using it for a couple years now, on and off, but in the last year it has been a really really great experience. although while I do like Manjaro a lot especially for gaming and for the AUR. If I just want to get work done on a machine fedora is almost always my go to.
I do plan to stay on Manjaro because it works best with my newer hardware and I get up to date software not quite bleeding edge but if I need it the aur is always there without having to go out and complile it myself.

1 Like

As of this week I’m on PopOS 20.04, which I’ll probably stick with at least until I finish the current Diablo II game I’m running with Lutris. Pop has shown at least in my experience to be quite capable for games, and has sane defaults out of the box. I’d held off on using it with this particular laptop in the past because it doesn’t support SecureBoot.

For the past year I’ve tried i3 probably 5 or 6 times but couldn’t get certain things working that I usually did in a DE settings manager. Last week I installed Arch i3 (which is one I tried previously a couple of times but failed at) and for some reason it just clicked with me and I really like it. I have it on a T520 Thinkpad and I really enjoy the low resources of a WM. Now I want to put a Debian WM on another laptop so I can say BTW, I use Debian. :innocent:

Currently Kubuntu as my daily driver, and only because I’m using a Dell USB Dock that has DisplayLink Technology not officially supported outside of Ubuntu. As soon as I can, I’ll be going back to Manjaro KDE edition. For my home servers, I’m primarily Debian.

DisplayLink is my LITERAL nemisis.

With a ton of experimentation I discovered how to use tigervnc, an old Raspberry Pi and some xrandr magic to extend my desktop onto another monitor as if it was plugged in via HDMI (with limited lag). Let me know if that’d help and i’ll do a write up for the forum.

1 Like

That write up wouldn’t help me at all, but I am immensely curious about how you have this setup. I love that you spent the time to set that up to work for you instead of buying something else!

Currently I´m on Arch Gnome.

openSUSE Tumbleweed, original snapshot from August 3rd with Xfce. It rolls and rolls.
I am still trying to break it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Recently switched everything from Debian Stable to Debian Testing.

It’s like living in 2050.

2 Likes

This is my third week with Parabola GNU/Linux and I’m pretty sure it’s where I’m going to make my next Linux home since 2011. Although if I was a pragmatist I’d say with container tech such as docker, podman and LXC, and with flatpak and appimage for the desktop, there is no reason to care what distribution you use. Other than package management or Free and Libre Software zealotry, there is no real difference. If Debian Testing/Sid had Plasma 5.19, I’d probably use Debian.

Well after the Manjaro lead developer basically told users to go use other distros*, I (and a lot of others) have taken his advice. I’ve now switched to EndeavourOS, which is a really nice Arch distro.

Essentially vanilla Arch with some minimal theming and tools on top, it’s a far cleaner and pure version of Arch than Manjaro has been for quite a few years. Manjaro is bloating into something quite removed from Arch linux IMO, which goes against the entire point of Arch.

That, and the deliberate trashing of their forums was the last straw, so I’ve moved over to Endeavour, where the community (it has one now, unlike Manjaro which is now a technical support forum only - a deliberate choice by the Manjaro team) is great, welcoming and helpful, and a fun place to hang out!

1 Like