What distro are you running?

Currently, I use only NixOS. However, I’ve distrohopped a ton since I started using Linux Mint about a year or two ago.

1 Like

Compared to last year what changed now is that I have KDE Neon 20.04 Testing Edition (with Pop!_OS repo enabled) on my gaming desktop.

My new laptop, ThinkPad X1 Yoga, has Kubuntu 20.04.

My old laptop, Lenovo Z40, has Ubuntu Unity 20.10 (will use the Rolling Rhino script soon) & Windows 10 (in case someone from work needs help, and require me to use Windows).

1 Like

Think I’ve nailed it down to a bug in DXVK/VKD3D so far. Some further testing needed…

1 Like

I’ve been running Arch Linux on my desktop, personal laptop, and work laptop for a few years now with zero issues. Debian 10 Buster for all of my servers and that’s been a flawless experience as well. Two of my absolute favorite projects of all time. :partying_face:

1 Like

Happens to the best of us. Every so often I get a wild hair for some of my Proton-incompatible Windows games/apps and fire up the Win10 partition. Currently running it now while I decide where my next distro hop will land.

1 Like
  1. Manjaro with Plasma on all 3 workstations.
  2. 3 years
  3. Will definitely stick with it on all 3 of my workstations. Been using Linux for 20 years and no distro has ever come close to Manjaro with Plasma.
2 Likes

I actually started using Linux in 2003, but only fully in 2010-2011 (left windows 2007, MacOS 2010).

I use Fedora at work since 2016 (CentOS and RedHatEL and Scientific Linux before) at home currently Manjaro with GNOME (kinda used to use the GNOME GUI).

WendyG
I am really interested what people were using between 2000-2010 (Linux was sadly smaller world) I never met anyone who is Linux user prior to 2010 that doesn’t like Mate to be honest or XFCE.
FYI cool photo of my favorite actress Senator or Queen Padmé Amidala from Star Wars aka Natalie Portman, probably the coolest part about Portman for me is that he is also publish scientist author.

Regards, Alex

I wanted to give Manjaro with Plasma a whirl on my laptop, but it was really glitchy. I could’ve tried to solve it myself, but I needed it usable ASAP, so I went back to Kubuntu

I have never used Kubuntu, but when I got my System76 with PopOS and tried ubuntu it was unstable and then I tried manjaro it worked better, I got the complete opposite experience. manjaro more stable over ubuntu (I tried the stock ubuntu and manjaro with gnome).

KDE Plasma needs customization, I have the ARM Manjaro with Plasma on my tablet works great.

I used to recommend unitl 2018 Linux Mint or PopOS, but now I recommend Manjaro to anyone.
If you are older classical style user XFCE, if you are macos ex user GNOme, for win people KDE.

Regards, Alex

I don’t like XFCE, Mate, or Gnome. Plasma is my go to DE. As Noah always says and I agree, “You’ll have to pry Plasma from my cold dead hands.”

Between 2000-2010 I used openSUSE.

well we “Linux” people are always open to new ideas you might change your mind,
I am GNOME user since 2010 and started using KDE on my tablet and like it, probably will not switch to KDE fully but plasma on ARM tablet (talking about pinebook pro manjaro with plasma) works great.

Regards, Alex

1 Like

you might be wrong about the year to be honest.
Fedora was out in 2003, CentOS in 2004 (both presented in 2005 in europe) and OpenSUSE in 2005, I am 100% sure about OpenSUSE. you might have used some beta pre release version of OpenSUSE before 2005 but it did not feature KDE for sure. I was at the presentation of Matthias Ettrich (founder of KDE KDE e.V. ) where he spoke about introducing KDE to OpenSUSE as a secundary DE, GNOME (back then gnome 2) was back then CORE DE for OpenSuse, I remember the IT computer FAIR in HANOVER since I met my GF now fiance that week and we had our first date so I am quite sure.

Ximian, Inc. back then called Helix Code or International Gnome Support part of Novell, Novell developed OpenSuse and it was natural to select GNOME as core os and offer alternatives later on gnome as KDE and XFCE. in 2005 it was name Suse Linux (by Novell) in 2006 or 2007 was renamed to OpenSuse.
and I remember since in 2005 I was choosing between CentOS vs OpenSuse, both with gnome 2.

I might be wrong this just might apply to Europe, maybe Opensuse with KDE was out in 2000 in North America.

EDIT: even today OpenSUSE default Desktop env is gnome at least according to wikipedia.

Regards, Alex

1. Arch Linux
  2. I can remember arch still having version numbers.
  3. Yes because it works for me. Something just clicked the first time I installed Arch and I’ve used it ever since.

WendyG
I check the internet data OpenSuse changed its name in 12/2006, first released version of Suse by Novell is in October 2005, but in 2005 it was Suse Linux GNOME, first Open Suse was at out in December 2006. you could be wrong about the year you may have used something else 2000-2006 I am not sure that Open Suse used KDE as core De their is no official data on DEs but now GNOME is default, KDE and XFCE alternative, and Ximian, Inc. a.k.a. Helix Code who became part of Novell, helped develop GNOME for Novell, if they had inhouse GNOME team why use KDE as Core DE.

OR I might be wrong this just might apply to Europe since my sources are from Europe Universities and arcticle, maybe Opensuse with KDE was out in 2000 in North America or Rest of the world.

In any case thanks for sharing, KDE is cool I use it sometimes on my tablet with manjaro arm version the plasma desktop looks great, but you use linux more then me so you know to be open minded about alternatives in Linux (probably that is why you switched from opensuse to manjaro, right?).

Regards, Alex

I think Wendy probably just meant that she was using some form of Suse back then regardless the DE. There were a lot of name changes.

According to the newest documentation openSUSE itself is actually DE agnostic:

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Desktop_FAQ

1 Like

Yeah she did said she was using KDE before Manjaro when she was using opensuse 2000-2010.
only problem is first release beta of open suse is in 2005 october, official version december 2006.
The is from wikipedia, I also remember 2005 watching a presentation about the new OpenSuse.
First I find it hard to believe that a Linux user will be wrong about the OS name he/she is using for 10 years, we are not talking about 1-2 years gap, 2000 to 2005 is a long time if she says she used opensuse from 2000-2010 and open suse first public inital release was end of 2005 and first relase under open suse december 2006, 5 year difference in a period of 10 years is quite a big period in my opinion.

Novell did had an Enterprise Linux before 2005 maybe but it was slackware not open suse at all.

OR I might be wrong this just might apply to Europe since my sources are from Europe Universities and arcticle, maybe Opensuse was out in 2000 in North America/World.

Regards, Alex

Not wrong at all. I purchased openSUSE box set of cd’s in 2002 at Best Buy and before that I just downloaded the iso’s. Best Buy had openSUSE and Red Hat box sets back then and Microcenter carried them as well.

1 Like

you downloaded ISOs before 2002 WOW I have to admit that is really cool, maybe OpenSuse had that option first before RedHat, FTP dowloads from Fedora and CentOS at least in Europe can after 2007.

Infographic about internet speeds in 2000 it took 30 minutes to few hours to download mp3 song, and 28 hours continues download for 700MB movie or one CD (realistically 3-5 days for 700MB),
An Accelerated History of Internet Speed (Infographic) | Entrepreneur you really had to be a dedicated person to download ISOs with Linux in 2000s WOW trully and respect for the dedication to Linux.

Regards, Alex

The domain name opensuse org is registed in 2005 opensuse.org whois lookup - who.is if opensuse existed before that and was sold on CDs and DVD and you could download ISO you could have used maybe an FTP server or another www address, maybe wikipedia info is based on the domain registration date who knows I have not used OpenSuse so I cannot say what is true what is not.

if you used OpenSuse before 2005 contact wikipedia to change the info, at the wikiepedia page it says initial release october 2005 if you scroll down the first offical version with that name is december 2006.
5 years is a big mistake, for almost all Linux OSs the information is correct, I am sure about Arch, RHEL.

Regards, Alex