Ideas for old computer?

My Synology NAS streams all of our media so not sure what advantage Plex would bring.

My Synology NAS streams all media to our devices, so I’m trying to figure out what advatnage Kodi would bring.

1 Like

I tried using only the Synology app but like with other solutions the deal breaker was on the formats. Video station can’t read DTS (or Dolby I don’t remember now). Kodi reads everything period :smiley:
The advantage of Plex to me would have been a consolidated library, updated from any device I use to watch videos.

add two more spinning drive HDDs 2 TB and setup raid and NextCloud it is way better then synology, I personally would recommend CentOS over ubuntu, CentOS with enhanced Linux securiry.
Or setup a router with OpenWRT or firewall endian community edtion.
OpenWRT is way better and more secure then any store router you can buy.
OR just install steam set it up in the living room as gaming PC or to watch Netflix,HBO,Hulu etc.
FYI I used a laptop with Intel HD GIU, CPU i5-3317U + 8GB RAM as home media PC, games Netflix, etc … your PC is not old at all if you ask me. in 2018-2019. that is a gaming class PC will handle HD or UHD videos no problem.
I personally don’t trust Silology they send too much “analitical” data, I am not saying they are spying but IN general I don’t trust or non FOSS software, except for STEAM since I trust the company with proven track record. When it comes to for example Adobe, I would not trust them even with FOSS apps.

Regards, Alex

1 Like

I guess you’ve got media covered then… I don’t have a server of any kind, so I watch stuff on my laptop hooked up to the TV. I have DVD Rips stored on my desktop, so I have to copy stuff to the laptop in advance (or watch sitting on my creaky old desk chair :man_shrugging:)

I’d use machine like that as a dedicated box that stores all the files and boots straight into Kodi, so I can control the whole thing with a controller (only use a keyboard if something goes wrong, or to check for updates every now and again).

Have you seen and used the Plex interface? What is interface like for your NAS? Folders and files? If it’s not detailed information about the media, actors, scenes, directors, etc…, plus being capable DVR over the air, then there might be room for improvement.

Check out a couple of youtube videos on how to use Plex (not just the install but how to utilize the interface). Such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2n4Q868_ig

You’ll be able to answer your own question re what advantage it would be.

Those are great recommendations. The motherboard supports RAID 1 so do I set up RAID through the motherboard bios or do I do it on the desktop software side?

I could probably run nextcloud instance on it to selft host and also use it as a media pc. A lot to think about regarding how to set it all up.

I actually don’t like my Synology NAS very much but it’s relatively new so I’ll stick with it for now.

1 Like

really don’t like to sound bad about this but sinology has over 129 proven Security Vulnerabilities in the past few year only Synology : Security vulnerabilities
most of them 7-8/10 serious security risk. compared to Linux in general with not more then 10 serious know Vulnerabilities in the past 10 years and all of them solved in few days or a week and most of them are solved if you update kernel and apps, and if you use linux router and firewall (openWRT+Endian) probably you will not be affected by them at all even if the OS is out of date and not updated.

Yeah true no OS is 100% safe, but Linux is safer then Sinology in this case.
My advice is long term find a Linux solution if you value security and privacy.

Regards, Alex

1 Like

I see your point but I’ll just add that the technical know-how is very different. I feel like things can really go wrong if you set up your linux NAS the wrong way compared to the ease and relative security of a default Synology set up.
Not everyone is an rocket science engineer :shushing_face: :smiley:

2 Likes

you can buy a linux pc setup with next cloud and raid same as sinology and Linux of your choice, for a small fee, I see even amazon offering deals like it and dell, hp, lenovo with preinstalled linux and the system76 is a professional company working with Linux offering support I even saw a german company that sells laptops offering “Linux Home install service” NAS IoT Camera Linux PC etc. or you can get a FOSS service like OpenHAB cloud hoster/self hosted to manage your devices (one example of many).

In my opinion in 2020 you can get same or similar level support for any Linux device as you would for windows mac os (I live in germany Hamburg, again I might be wrong about rest of europe / world).

My GF is a finance major and her friend is bio chemist, both mac os users for 10 years, moved to Linux and even learn how to make backups with dejadup, timeshift even do full install in arch manjaro Linux.
Using Linux in 2020 is no rocket science based on my 10 year experince, If my finance major GF and her friend who is a bio chemist can learn basic Linux management in a year (after 10y+ of being MacOS users) WendyG said is using Linux for 20y+, double time them me, advice was for a 20y+ Linux User.

EDIT: even really cool preinstaleld devices are sold by a company with KDE Slimbook - The Best Linux Computers and Laptops you can choose any Linux with KDE de to be preinstalled on it. Linux Rocks in 2020.

Same “mistakes” can be done with Synology, probably the biggest and most dangerous thread to online safety is “stock router” 80-90% of people use at home, get updates for the first year then nothing and in average people change routers every 5-7 year or until it breaks down or you need more speed.

Regards, Alex

2 Likes

I was not talking about specifically for the OP, I agree (s)he seems well capable :grinning:
It was more in general. I come from the MacOS world (20+years) and switched definitely more or less a year ago. I learned a lot but I’m an enthusiast. You can’t expect everyone to put as much time as I did in this. And network set up is still foggy to me :upside_down_face:
Hence my point of view : Synology is not that bad of a solution and can help people start hosting their files. I agree a step further would be better but in the meantime…

About the linux preinstalled NAS, I couldn’t find any affordable back when I bought the Synology two years ago. Maybe now ?

1 Like

YES to both.

system76 mini can be setup with PopOS or debain with two HDDs (price depends on model).

company based in Israel CompuLabs worldwide shipping, sells Mint Boxed with Linux Mint or Linux Mint server version can be pre setup as NAS, since 2012. https://fit-iot.com/web/#buymbm2 ARMs went 200-300$. I don’t remember the German company they sell Manjaro Linux laptops they also sell Intel Mini boxes with ARM cpu for about 200-300EURO can be setup with two HDDs even back then.
Probably cheapest NAS is one I got for my GF, NVIDIA Jetson Nano devkit for $129 (cheaper model was 99$ but the 129$ was the middle price range and all she needed) + 2 TB hard drives, she is a Jewish and economist so price / performance was and is always important to her. that was in 2019.
Or get a raspberry Pi4 and connect external USB thunderbolt or USB3 HDD case.
Pine64 has wonderful PCs on a budget even for 99$ PINEBOOK | PINE64

If you want to find company that sells Linux, visit Linux Mint stuff and parters page, go to manjaro visit store or partenrs page, same for almost all Linux distro, from the Linux distor website you can find companies that sell them.

its 2020 I can probably find 10 companies that sells that, but its after 23:00 Hours in Europe and I got other plans, hence we can brainstorm if you like another day. I am 10y+ Linux user from routers OpenWRT to firewalls endian, cameras IoTs sensors, Tablet / Phone. I use Linux at home and for work and I am very sure that Linux works on anything.

Regards, Alex.

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-bay-DiskStation-DS216J-Diskless/dp/B01BNPT1EG

Yes on Both.
cheapest synology drive is 160$ for that you can get pine64 99$ or VIDIA Jetson Nano devkit for $129 (cheaper model was 99$ but the 129$ or rasberry pi4 for 90$ both cheaper and can be preconfigured with preinstalled Linux OS and companies can configure them for NAS mode with extra HDD.
example to go PopOS and ask for help if you buy a PC you will get same support as with sinology many other companies offer per subscription Linux support for new users with probably same level as sinology.

its 2020 I can probably find 10 companies that sells that (mentioned few above), but its after 23:00 Hours in Europe and I got other plans, hence we can brainstorm if you like another day

Regards, Alex

@user80237309, clearly you have more experience with Linux than I do. You mentioned setting up NextCloud, I think that is a great use, but you didn’t mention if you have a box set up as a server already. I don’t know what kind of programming or IT work you do, but we have enjoyed setting up a Debian Freedombox server, and a Fedora Server in our home network just to learn more about server administration and to give my programmer son a playground to write web based programs that only run on our local network. Having a dedicated “server playground” on your home network might be a way to expand your vocational knowledge, and you can still experiment when your Internet connection goes down and you can’t reach your droplet in the cloud.

As someone who basically depends on people throwing out their old or partially broken computers to upgrade our systems, I like your idea of donating it to a charity or maybe a young middle school or high school student who is interested in learning programming, but only has a Chromebook to use and can’t afford a system of their own. You might win a convert to Linux for life if you could mentor a child in Linux. My son’s main development box is a Dell Optiplex 390 with 4 gigs of RAM, and an older I3 processor that a local school was getting rid of. Your box would run circles around his and perhaps inspire another young programmer.

3 Likes

I’m ok with Ubuntu server so I could do that but I could also just install Ubuntu 20.04 desktop and enable all the usual server functionality and also use it as a media pc as well as a Nextcloud instance. It seems like I could get the most out of it doing that hybrid setup with full desktop and server.

1 Like

I’m a bit late to the convo but here is another idea.

Do you have a friend or family that lives a decent distance from you? You could take the old rig and turn it into a remote backup/server.

You could use LXD or OCI Containers (Docker) instead of VMs, and if something where to happen where you normally live, you would have some sort of accessible spare to use.

This is something I am planning on doing with one of my nas boxes. While I’m not set on it yet. I am probably going to have it be exposed on the TOR network and use SSH and possibly X2go if I need a desktop. Otherwise I could use something like Wireguard or ZeroTier

1 Like

Find some cause that you support that uses distributed data crunching such as SETI, COVID19, or Human Genome and set up that computer to crunch that data.

2 Likes

This is a fantastic idea but I can’t think of anyone who would be open to that in their home.

Very interesting idea. Will have to do some research on how to do that.

1 Like

I’m sitting here not able to justify using my PowerMac G4 as a server because the extra power usage alone would probably pay for a cluster of RockPro64s more apt for the job.

A 6th generation i5 with 16 GB of RAM paired with a inexpensive AMD video card would be a great starter “workstation” for the next generation. Maybe give it to a young person who might not have the means but has the drive to learn and develop. They can get a lot of development done on such a machine.

2 Likes