Surprise Purchase | Linux Out Loud 11

This week, Linux Out Loud chats about a community opinion piece by Profetik.

Welcome to episode 11 of Linux Out Loud. We fired up our mics, connected those headphones as we searched the community for themes to expound upon. We kept the banter friendly, the conversation somewhat on topic, and had fun doing it.

00:00 Introduction
01:09 24 hour Charity Livestream
05:57 LRCNC Update
08:59 Bendy Replay
16:32 Linux Desktop by Profetik
31:24 Surprise Purchase
32:00 Desktop Inputs
40:01 Game of the Week
44:16 Fidget Button Update
46:53 Librivox
51:36 Close

Main Topic

Matt

Nate

Wendy

Upcoming Events

• Game Shpere 24 hour Charity Livestream
    • Monday, June 20, 2022 through Tuesday, June 21, 2022
      • Starts 9:00 AM EDT / 1:00 PM UTC
    • Charity

Contact info
Matt (Twitter @MattGameSphere)
Wendy (Mastodon @WendyDLN)
Nate (Website CubicleNate.com)

The wrong episode what uploaded to the podcast apps. I have fixed it on Fireside, not sure how long it will take to trickle down to the podcast apps. SORRY!!!

2 Likes

I grew up when screens were always getting bigger and things like keyboards and mice were always getting better. They allowed you to both convey and absorb more and more information.

Then there was a tipping point as people transitioned to mobile and all that got reset. Suddenly the screens became tiny and the tools to convey yourself became a joke. Mobile has been improving but it’s running up against the limits of it’s paradigm no where close to a PC.

Compared to PC mobile is a World where you convey very little. You’re optimized to listen to broadcasters in depth but struggle to listen to your own friends. Using touch to convey yourself is like squeezing a cantelope through a mailbox so you fall back on re-sharing memes and ideas produced by other people to make it quicker. In a sense strangers of your choosing come to dominate what you both hear and say and you’re rewarded for it because the last thing your friend wants is a wall of text on their tiny screen which they’ll also struggle to reply to.

Mobile is the superior platform but only if you want to optimize for consuming broadcasts and being a minimally interacting information relay.

I don’t know what the answer is but this sucks.

1 Like

Right! I don’t mind typing out a quick message on my phone. But it I really need to write something, give me my full-size mechanical keyboard. At least some mobile devices are getting keyboards and other attachments. The keyboard on my tables isn’t great, but much better than touch screen typing. However, I LOVE the digital writing input.