So, what's your Linux week been like?

Have you used or do you recommend any tutorials for it?

I would highly recommend the tutorials by Blender Guru (assuming you don’t have anything against Youtube). They’re simple, easy to follow, and up to date. My hardware is too limited to do any animation, so I haven’t gotten very far into it, but it’s very high quality and accessible.

2 Likes

That systemd talk is great. I got into the Linux community during that whole stink and didn’t know enough to understand what was going on. That talk gives a great overview, though.

1 Like

Some Chinese New Year windfalls came my way, and I’ll be getting some new hardware (Nicer peripherals like Logitech keyboard, webcam, and a Røde USB Mic). I’m starting to learn more about OBS, especially doing Scene changes in the middle of recording, using shortcut keys. I’m slowly learning more Podcaster skills, but I have no Podcast to speak of yet. I want to be able to record inspiring conversations with the highly interesting and awesome people I meet.

I also wrote my first DLN tutorial:

People tend to not like change, and I think that is the reason for all the “controversy”

Does your Syncthing setup essentially replace the google account on your phone, and back up photos, contacts, etc?

Well, yes, but I was interested in the details. I really didn’t know what to think about systemd.

1 Like

After learning several peculiarities and sensitivities that OBS has (playing with it for like 20 hours), I’ve been able to shoot my first decent-quality demo video in OBS. This involved changing OBS Scenes (showing and hiding my face as videoed by a webcam) during the filming, as well as changing a LibreOffice Impress slide-deck to show different captions, then switching to other Gnome Workspaces to show a Web browser, or other locally-running apps.

I’m sort of copying the method which Brian Lunduke uses in his Youtube videos: I don’t think he does any post-production editing on his videos. He just shoots in OBS (showing his face, and some slides, etc), one take, and then when he stops the recording in OBS, the video is final.

PS: I can attest that the Rode (Røde) NT-USB Microphone works very nicely in Linux (both in MX 19 and Pop_Os 19.10).

Edit: My Logitech C615 webcam can record in 720p at 30fps in OBS. But there is a trick. One has to change the so-called “Video Format” from “YUYV” (the default) to any other choice, such as “BGR3 (Emulated)”. Otherwise, merely 10 fps!

I do that as well and I never saw any of his videos. I use i3-gaps and it allows me to keep the apps nice and compartmentalized and I don’t accidentally move a slide when trying to check the youtube control panel (which is an entirely different barrel of monkeys). Still refining the technique.

Over the past few weeks, I’ve had some interesting encounters, challenges, and triumphs with Linux.

13JAN2020 – 08FEB2020

• Refined the new RP4, installed NextCloudPi
    – Implemented Calendar, Notes, and Tasks on my devices to use NextCloud
    – Can’t wait to update to NextCloud Hub
  • A few days after installing NextCloudPi on the new RP4, NextCloud crashed…
    – Spent a few days troubleshooting the RP4 as it would not take ANY distro I threw at it…
    — Tried: NextCloudPi, Rasbian, Manjaro, Ubuntu Server
    — Concluded that the RP4 ended up being a dud. Unfortunately, I was outside of the return window for Amazon… shucks.
  • Wife received a cricut, proceeded to have her make some favorite Linux related logos and the such
  • Nuked and paved the ole Acer Aspire 3 and installed Lubuntu on it
    – Turned it into the nextcloud server
  • Co-worker informed me that his laptop which he had ripped the monitor off of (due to it not working apparantly) stopped working completely
    – convinced him to let me have it in an effort to turn it into something useful (I did offer to pay, but it was a dud as far as he was concerned)
    – After receiving the laptop, sure enough, it was not turning on nor did it have a monitor… at all. It was in fact, taken off with severed cables (including the wifi antennae)
    — Did some digging to see what it had inside
    — – i7-7700HQ
    — – nvidia GTX 1050TI
    — – 16GB RAM
    — – 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD
    — – Basically a good ~$600-700 laptop resold if nothing was wrong with it
    — Tore it apart and did some surgery
    — – disconnected the battery
    — – shunted a couple of connections below the RAM modules to reset some power settings
    — – Turned on in the first go, success
    — Nuked and paved from Windows 10 to Kubuntu
    — Turned it into a Plex server
    — – A few days of it running, it shut off unexpectedly
    — – After ~1 day of troubleshooting, couldn’t diagnose it, but any distro I tried to install would always hang at TLP startup/shutdown
    — Eventually got it to boot into a distro with “acpi=off” kernel option
    — – with some noticeable degredations
    — – - hyperthreading does not work (not sure why)
    — – - power management is wack now
    — – - - no battery stats, doesn’t sleep, etc…
    — – - For a free computer, I’m not complaining… installed Manjaro KDE
    — – Turned it back into the Plex server
  • Bought a 16 port un-managed switch to allow a better connection for the NextCloud server and Plex Server
    – Works great!
  • Found an incredible deal on a Dell G5 for $799
    – i7-8750H (6 core with additional 6 threads)
    – RTX 2060
    – 16GB RAM
    – 1TB HDD
    – Bought it. Nuked it. Paved Manjaro KDE.
    — Fantastic buy
1 Like

Just updated Debian 10 Stable to 10.3 - we don’t get updates often so this is news and of course everything’s still working as expected, thankfully :slight_smile:

I tried out CentOS 8 Stream, after booting I’m really confused. There are almost no apps in the default app store. On top of that it totally messed up Grub so I had to pull out the ol’ “chroot” number with another distro live disk to fix it. I also tried to build up an OpenSuse Cinnamon install from the “minimal” desktop option from the OpenSuse installer. I stopped having fun with that when I couldn’t get it connected to my wifi network.

Set up a 40 TB server for plex and other shenannigans.

This was not without it’s fair share of speedbumps along the way.

Started by setting up a host os, and the maintainer wanted a GUI until he is familiar with the CLI, so Ubuntu server with Mate on top it was. Then we added KVM/QEMU to that to run different services in VMs, where we could definetly have gone the container route, and maybe that was my lesson.

Anywho, configuring forwarding in iptables was a new experience, and a logical one at that. NAT in KVM can be a pain to deal with.

Thanks.

1 Like

Yes. What a pain, haha! I was setting up something nearly identical, but my issue, I’m almost completely sure of, was that I was trying to bridge with wifi, and it was just not having it!

Bridging has it’s own set of problems, and forwarding through iptables makes this more manageable.

1 Like

Gave openSUSE Tumbleweed (KDE) a shot on my Lenovo Flex14 laptop. I added the tiling window kwin script and promptly reinstalled Manjaro i3. Turns out I now dislike stacking window managers (even if they try to pretend to be a TWM).

TWM’s FTW!

(Also, thank you Redhat for giving us ansible which makes my Manjaro installs a painless affair.)

1 Like

Last time I did a major Windows update it stopped my keyboard and Windows Explorer from working… I was so fed up with it I installed Debian on the machine without even bothering to back it up…

Today I’m glad to see the Windows 10 Feature Update (1909) didn’t break the Debian 10 dual-boot via grub. Also on the Debian partition, Fedora 31 in VirtualBox continues to run without hitches after the VirtualBox updates fixed the Guest Additions that had previously stopped non-VGA resolutions from working.

I paused my Linux From Scratch install when I reached config files for networking. I might resume that this week, leaving the network configuration for later. What’s more important is to move forward to BLFS before LFS updates (again)!

2 Likes

09FEB2020 – 15FEB2020

• Nuked and paved the new G5 with Kubuntu
    – Still love Plasma, great customization

• Discovered webdavs while working with the NextCloud server

• Not sure why it’s surprising me so much, but it’s pretty life changing!

• Not a whole lot of other Linuxy things this week, had a crazy work week

1 Like

I did my first video editing (cutting out of some unwanted video footage, then re-rendering) in Shotcut. The resulting file size got 45% larger on me.

No simple “passthrough” rendering, keeping same audio bitrate, video quality, etc. But I’m grateful it worked whatsoever. (Vidcutter 6.0.0, LosslessCut 3.0.1, and Openshot 2.5.0 worked terribly for me.)

Edit: taking my time to tweak the “Export File” settings in Shotcut (click the “Advanced” button) was a good idea. Then the file only got slightly larger, like 1/6th larger, not 45% larger.

@esbeeb, I ran into this article which helped me solve a little headache I was having with Thunar and webdav (ended up having to change the default link which nextcloud populates with “dav” to “webdav”). Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I installed Manjaro 19-rc1 Mate Edition this week on my test laptop. To my surprise, I did not chuck it 5 minutes after playing with it. It’s still on my test laptop. I went ahead and installed it on my production laptop and it worked even better! More amazingly, after I installed the Intel/Nvidia PRIME drivers + OpenCL, Darktable recognizes BOTH GPU’s and processes images using both!

Amazing!

Kudos to the Mate development team on an excellent build! If my tests work out, I may switch my primary desktop over as well, but that is a far more complicated process as I have a non-straightforward drive configuration.

2 Likes