So, what's your Linux week been like?

Thanks! Great idea.

I just discovered a new command while browsing the fedora documentation

sudo dnf install @gnome-games

This is a fedora specific command but the gnome-games package is probably available to all gnome users. I just wasted 30 minutes loosing at nibbles. There’s always something to learn.

This week i found out about this little ditty… ssh -Y @YourIpGoesHere.
It let’s you run apps as a gui. Only downside though, if you quit the window, the app also stops working. I need to fix that.

1 Like

ssh -X does the same but with X11 security extensions on by default. I think this is the recommended way to run this but I don’t really know the security implications of either method.

The man page mentions that someone could run a key logger as the justification for having security extensions by default.

2 Likes

I mostly use it to connect to boxes on my lan, so i didn’t know/use the -X flag. Would you consider it a 'best practice" to allways use ssh-X, instead of -Y?

This week I dug into the elementary OS install process when it comes to encryption. I’m at a point now where I now have an encrypted elementary OS installation on BTRFS instead of Ext4, despite it not being an option in the installer! It was a lot of fun and I learned quite a bit about how LVM was used in this case, as well as LUKS.

There is a similar tutorial on (EndeavourOS wiki)[https://discovery.endeavouros.com/encrypted-installation/btrfsonluks-verbose-version/2021/03/] if you want to take a look for reference.

1 Like

This week I installed Lineage OS 18.1 on my “enchilada” OnePlus 6 phone (which OnePlus has now abandoned, for releasing security updates). This got my phone’s security updates right up to Jan 2022 (is current for now). No issues with current release: 20220125.

1 Like

Looks interesting – I have grapheneOS on one of my phones. I’ll have to give this a deeper look. Thank you.

2 Likes

Just getting the security updates up-to-date is all the excitement I’m wanting to have on this phone. I don’t put any private data to speak of on this phone. :wink:

1 Like

Not much going on this week for me. I learned a bit of xfce magic thanks to a couple of the forum members. I really should look deeper into ricing xfce as this is my first xfce install ever. I know that’s pretty amazing but true.

1 Like

Nothing special happening but while I was taking a look at the uptime of my Slackware setup I thought, now that is worth a post.

inxi -I
Info:      Processes: 248 Uptime: 44 days Memory: 5573.7/7762.7MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.0

Two days ago I ordered the Slimbook Essential 15" with an AMD Ryzen processor for my wife to replace the aging Thinkpad X200. I decided them to put Kubuntu on it. Right now she is still using Debian stable with Mate. It will be the first genuine Linux laptop that I ordered. For myself I think I would have ordered it without any OS.
I decided to go with Kubuntu preinstalled so that she would be in charge from the beginning to maintain her system and not me anymore like we do with Debian. Not that she has no clue but she preferred me to do the system administration.

2 Likes

This is so impressive. Back in the 90’s this was what was so impressive for me about the Linux, and HP-UX boxes I worked on. We were telling employees to reboot their windows machines when they came back from lunch as a way to keep things moving quickly throughout the afternoon. Meanwhile, the *ux boxes in that office that did more work than the windose machines had uptimes of weeks, months, and even 400+ days.

1 Like

Good, I’ve had to reboot my main desktop a couple times for updates. I also discovered Feather Wallet AppImage. It’s a crypto wallet for Monero. I also spent a little time figuring out Kleopatra.

This week, I was wanting timely notifications of people’s birthdays to be shown on my Ubuntu 20.04 Gnome desktop, having entered people’s birthdays into my Android phone’s contacts list (which then syncs to Nextcloud Calendar, through Davx5).

Can Thunderbird show those birthdays in it’s calendar? No (despite other non-birthday events showing properly). But surprisingly, Gnome Calendar can do it, with notifications.

There, now you have a way to not forget important people’s birthdays, in your life!

2 Likes

Was just reading the Slackware 15.0 release notes.

http://www.slackware.com/announce/15.0.php

Now I am going to upgrade the Slackware 14.2 machine when I have some time on my hands.

I guess that will break my uptime streak :slight_smile: :

inxi -I
Info:      Processes: 240 Uptime: 48 days Memory: 5753.6/7762.7MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.0
1 Like

LOL. The struggle is real. The key here is that this reboot is not performance related.

2 Likes

Diving (okay, toes first) back into the Hebrew Audio Text Map project after a two+ year hiatus. I first rolled out a part of the project in 2014. Due to an accident, my youngest son passed away in 2019 and as a result I have been drained of so much creativity that this project was stalled at 28% completion.

As I was analyzing logs after the new year, I was surprised to see that, even at 28% completion, I had 7,000+ users from 102 countries in 2021. I don’t think I even looked at it in 2021. So in an effort to rekindle the flame for the project, I just recently added variable speed playback and matched another 2% of the Masorteic Text to the audio.

I have had requests from a few people who wanted to help me complete the project. I know I have also had a few requests from people who, upon investigation, were looking for my concept and data to create a commercial product. Not knowing who can be trusted, and not having the energy to guide the project, I have let it stagnate. This week may be the time to get this project back on track.

3 Likes

I am fighting with the Slimbook Essential. Probably it is just too essential. Not working out of the box here with the supposedly supported Kubuntu 20.04 install.

I should ask later if somebody has experience with AMD Ryzen 5500 in the appropriate section.

Patched and upgraded most of my home servers this weekend. Fedora shines as usual. In place upgrade, reboot and go.

Not quite that simple, but overall pretty close. A couple of my servers are Pis running from the SD cards, which means they’re a bit on the slower side of things. All in all it was pretty painless to upgrade everything.