So, what's your Linux week been like?

I’m working on hardware for digital signage. I tried for 2 days to get Screenly OSE (open source edition) to work on a raspberry pi 4 B. No joy. Screenly’s issues on this version of the pi are ongoing. I tried both ways to get this to work:

• install from script on top of the PI OS – nope
  • burn a verified image from Screenly to the sd card – nope

Finally gave up and went to yodeck – BOOM! not a hitch.

I wish I could have stayed in the open source arena.

Today is round 2 of this rollout and more people have joined. Now almost 300 people. Things are looking up and Linux is definitely looking strong.

My Linux weeks have become a bit boring since I switched to Fedora. Pretty much everything just works now.

2 Likes

:partying_face: :partying_face:

Don’t tell everyone. . .

1 Like

Well, as some of you might know I’m in the process of troubleshooting a weird problem with one of my laptops. This is the first Dell that’s ever given me trouble with Linux. At the moment I’m in Pop 21.04, but if this proves fruitful (meaning no weird boot errors over time) I’ll probably hit a few other favorites.

Linus Tech Tips wants to talk to you…

4 Likes

I really want them to release all the videos for that. I need more schadenfreude in my life.

1 Like

While I did actually studiy theological German in graduate school, I majored in Biblical Languages – Greek and Hebrew. So, I’m more of an epicaricacy type of guy.

Just updated to the Pop!_OS 21.10 beta, because I like to try and break things. No big issues so far, just a few polish points still needed. The applications menu doesn’t toggle properly, but it sure looks pretty.

1 Like

What are your test cases for breaking things?

1 Like

Nothing regimented, I’m just a compulsive fiddler.

4 Likes

My Linux week involved deleting Windows.

Didn’t start out as my plan, but i decided to do a little partition “tidy-up and re-arranging”, to give me some more space where I actually needed it and where I could better use it.

An unattended side-effect of this tidy-up was that I made my Windows partition unbootable. As I set about fixing this, I realised there was almost nothing left I actually needed it for… so I stopped fixing and blew it away. Last week, I was technically a dual-booter, this week I’m definitely a one OS man! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

My sisters have a saying which I love: “Boring is the new fun”

1 Like

My Seeed Router with a CM4 arrived. The pre-installed OpenWRT was shoddily installed at the factory. The 2 filesystems on the eMMC were corrupt (a FAT partition, and an EXT4 partition). The OS would boot up, but only in read-only mode. The Kernel log said:

[    6.376979] mount_root: mounting /dev/root
[    6.381902] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
[    6.391770] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): re-mounted. Opts: (null)
[    6.397318] mount_root: loading kmods from internal overlay
[    6.419155] kmodloader: loading kernel modules from //etc/modules-boot.d/*
[    6.426932] kmodloader: done loading kernel modules from //etc/modules-boot.d/*
[    6.481183] block: attempting to load /etc/config/fstab
[    6.487266] block: extroot: not configured
[    6.512914] FAT-fs (mmcblk0p1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
[    6.523660] urandom-seed: Seed file not found (/etc/urandom.seed)
[    6.596035] EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p2): ext4_mb_generate_buddy:747: group 14, block bitmap and bg descriptor inconsistent: 32215 vs 32222 free clusters
[    6.610856] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): Remounting filesystem read-only

I was able to re-flash the OS from a factory image they provide here. The OpenWRT image is hosted in a Microsoft OneDrive account! Gee, that’s comforting. :unamused:

To do the re-flashing, you need a jumper installed across two pins on the carrier board. Does Seeed provide a jumper? No. I had to scavenge one out of the basement. I take back my earlier comment about this product being a comprehensive kit.

A better name for Seeed, would be “Seeedy” (as in “dodgy”).

Linode is my go-to as well. :smiley:

I found an aquarium on YouTube (The Linux Way). . . Oh, and Blender 3.0 is out !

1 Like

Containers Containers Containers !

2 Likes

That doesn’t mean it’s old. 3.1 is the last version you could install that quickly to be a reasonable threat. It wouldn’t be nearly as realistic if it was updated! That’s hilarious that everything turns into a toaster at the end.

I think it means they’ve become a near useless appliance now that xBill infected them with windows

1 Like

That was my thought as well – Flying Toasters. But that’s probably not correct as there aren’t any wings on the toasters on xbill.

1 Like