So, what's your Linux week been like?

I’m glad Linux Mint somehow worked where the others didn’t…

Had all distros behaved badly for you, I would be tempted to blame your mobo.

1 Like

Indeed, that would have to be taken into account as well. (The mobo did need a bios update in order to recognize the ram modules.
I don’t know why Kubuntu didn’t work so well on this rig. It works great on my laptop. (With an i5 and integrated amd gpu).
I’m not much of a distrohopper when it comes to my daily working machine. (on a vm it’s a different story).
When it comes to the day-to-day things, the machine just needs to work.

1 Like

As a long time C++ purist, I hate to admit that, but programming in Python is really fun and fast.

I restarted my c++ project from the scratch in Python and after three days of programming I’m already further than I was before.

4 Likes

This week I got into some hotkey fun with OBS. I set up shortcut keys to switch between about 5 OBS “Scenes”, so that podcasting transitions were smoother. I crazy-glued little pieces of plastic to my keyboard above these hotkeys, to make them easier to find with my fingertips without looking down.

1 Like

I dusted off my Raspberry Pi B+ after 5 years of doing nothing and spun up a LAMP stack for the first time. I was surprised that there weren’t as many OS for it as I remember. I wanted to try openSuse but for the pi 1 there’s basically raspbian and BSD and that’s it.

1 Like

I also played with “Barrier” this week. Creating a new allowable client (and specifying its hostname) was a bit unintuitive, but I was off and running in about 20 minutes.

Basically, no client can connect, until on the server you go into the “Configure Server…” button → Drag that blue monitor icon in the upper right to where the client’s screen will be in relation to the screen of your server, then give that newly-dragged client a name matching the hostname of the client (having double-clicked it, then put the client’s hostname in the “Screen name” textbox) → “OK” button → “OK” button → “Reload” button.

1 Like

I decided to reinstall my laptop after 5-6 years.
It just had to much random stuff installed.

Since I also had a 1T ssd that was just gathering dust I swapped the 480G drive with the 1T one.

I was really surprised how clean the inside was after 5+ years.

1 Like

Right about now i find myself in the struggle of getting DietPi / Owncloud on the pi. (Model3)
DietPi is no problem, Owncloud is something else. I’ll get there, it’s just learning a new thing or two, which is always fun.

Solid as always with Ubuntu 20.04. though I did have weird Steam issues the other day where it was closing itself. Reboot fixed that though. I also noticed that after a couple weeks it looks like Cyberpunk 1.06 is stable on my build so that was a bonus. I had been able to get it to run before but it would have weird lighting issues than crash at one part of the map every time. For funsies I added Chuck Norris jokes to my terminal because why not?
Yeah typical week of stability for me.

This week, I did speed comparisons of opening larger numbers of contacts (~260) and bookmarks (~1400) in Nextcloud (installed from a snap). I compared running Nextcloud running on a Linode Nanode VPS (the smallest VPS hosting package), and Nextcloud running on a Raspberry Pi 4.

Guess where Nextcloud ran faster? The Raspberry Pi 4! That is to say, hosting Nextcloud on a Raspberry Pi 4 is pretty likely to be just as fast, or a little faster, than if you ran it in the cloud, on a Linode Nanode VPS!

Come on, Linode, don’t do me like that!

PS: The RPi4 is overclocked to 2.0GHz

1 Like

I built a Plex server for a family member for a Christmas gift.

I bought a Dell OptiPlex 7010 i5 w 16 GB of RAM. I put an SSD 500 Gig system/transcoding drive in it with the Western Digital RED 4 TB as a data drive. It’s set up to run headless in their network.

Ideally, they could just login to my Plex server and watch the content that I have – but they are in God’s country with virtually no internet access. I have them registered for the the Starlink queue. But in the meantime, this Plex server (and their HughesNet) should get them through the cold and snowy days of winter. The server is running Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS and has Plex installed as a Docker image.

1 Like

Have you seen Elon’s Neuralink? That Plex server will be obsolete right away, they’ll be able to connect to Starlink and Plex right from their brain!

2 Likes

Playing with the latest Deepin today.
Strange, yet fixable. Installed Chromium, Synaptic and Thunar for a start…
Pretty quick. Figuring out mail. MAIL( may kill it and Thunderchickenize the thing) We’ll see.
Music player they have seems OK so far. MUSIC
I think some of the devs are KDE freaks …or Apple

Installed Linux Mint yesterday on my laptop. Next up: figure out how to get e-mail reminders from my owncloud server. After that: find a way to get content via the network to the disk, connected to my kodibox.

I came up with a couple of new year’s resolutions including trying to get some LPI certifications. So I spent a while on the LPI website trying to convert their free learning resources into one big pdf textbook, since they don’t offer it as a download yet for some reason. Turns out Chromium has way better “print to PDF” functionality than FF which was a bummer.

I also started actually learning python with my brother so we can work on some projects incorporating RPi with agriculture related problems.

2 Likes

Hope to hear how that turns out, very interesting.

I have a cousin doing that exact same thing as well.

1 Like

This is something I’ve become quite passionate about recently. I moved away from the farm to do other things but now I’m trying to bring my experience and expertise back to it. The Agriculture field is one of the largest holes in the Open Source community I think.

At the moment I’m trying to get some of my Arduino based sensor modules to work with the Pi to get some prototypes going. In the future I foresee messing around with real-time kernels for Raspbian and even experimenting with NetBSD. I’m going to have to get some of those Pine64 ethernet camera modules as well, should be fun!

I did not know about that, bookmarked for when it’s available.

Stood up Zabbix on a RPi 4b. Configured basic network monitoring. This is my first experience with Zabbix. I also stood up NEMS ( Nagios ) on a RPi 4b, but in comparing the two, I like Zabbix better.

This week, I’ve been working on building a network map within Zabbix. So far, so good. However, I’m about to replace every piece of gear in my network. Time for some upgrades.

New firewall is already in place. New switch arrived last week. New router arrives today. I have not selected a replacement access point yet. I’m quit happy with the one I have now, but it uses a Marvell Wifi chip, so that is a dead-end.

The fun part is been the network design. With the new equipment comes new features and, for me, additional segregation.

Once the new network is in place I will start building a RPi 4b Kubernetes cluster. I will be moving PiHole and Zabbix into this cluster.

Next on the project list will be to centralize syslog messages and feed them into Loki/Grafana. I am also interested in integrating Grafana with Zabbix, once I get a little more experience with Zabbix.

1 Like