PinePhone Pre-Orders, AMD, openSUSE, Ubuntu, elementary, Steam, Edge, Stadia | This Week in Linux 87

10 Likes

@MichaelTunnell Thanks again, Michael. Really enjoyed this! I have to say I’ve not found myself as enthused about any firm in recent times as I am about Pine64. I think they’re doing sterling work and I sincerely hope they continue succeeding, especially in light of their direct, honest and open approach. It’s been an age since I tutored the basics of hardware design to undergraduates though the news of the PinePhone schematics being open, and AMD’s massively multi-core new processor does whet my appetite to consult some of the newer editions of texts by the likes of Hennessy and Patterson to see what advances are reported in parallel computer architectures, for example. I’m not a gamer myself, but I do I agree with your regarding Valve and Steam. From the number of times Google have “closed shop” as it were on services I don’t think I’d find their offering enticing at all if I were a gamer… Good to read Ubuntu officially supporting the Pi4, though I have to say I’d really like official support from vanilla Debian, which is my favourite OS :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re welcome, I’m glad you enjoyed the show. :smiley:

I agree about Pine64, it’s been a very long time since I was geniunely excited about what a company was doing without having glaring issues. I am excited for AMD as well but there are some big issues still. Pine64 on the other hand has been in the fan zone pretty much completely. :slight_smile:

Debian already supports ARM but I am not sure about their specific support for Raspberry Pis though Pis do ship with Raspbian as the default. So maybe it already is available, I’m not sure.

2 Likes

Lots of things to learn from this show :fireworks:

4 Likes

LOL that’s great . . . I randomly helped people discover a word I didn’t know existed :smiley:

3 Likes

What about the trusty Shamwow?

2 Likes

Hi it’s Vince from Slapchop . . . you’ll be slappin’ your troubles away with a slapchop

2 Likes

Careful, @dasgeek might go for your hair. :face_with_head_bandage: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

slapchopvince

3 Likes

Any experience or expectations regarding the Pine Phone and convergence? Meaning, when I’m using the phone, I have a touch friendly UI. But connect the phone to a dock of some sort and have your favorite DE to work from? This is what I’m really looking for. Was hoping I’d see something along these lines with Samsung Dex, but Samsung killed the Linux support.

This is the first version of the PinePhone so they aren’t looking to make a convergent phone. This is made to be a universal phone in a sense because it is hardware made to work with many Linux Mobile OS’s like Ubuntu Touch, postmarketOS, Plasma Mobile, LuneOS, and more.

In the future, maybe they will look into doing that but this being their first attempt to make a phone, they aren’t looking at a convergence push.

I understand. I hope one day we can have that perfect convergence device.

Thanks Michael. Really appreciate all your efforts in the various podcasts you host.

1 Like

They do have this companion wrist watch

2 Likes

If I didn’t have my Samsung Galaxy Frontier watch already, I might consider this.

For me, at the end of the day, I’m looking for my phone to essentially be my one device I use for everything. In my hand, it’s a mobile device with a touch friendly environment running all the touch enabled apps I need.

Drop it down on a desk and connect a small dock of some type (USB-C), connect to a mouse/keyboard (wired or wireless) and monitor, and I have a full blown DE of my choice on a run of the mill Linux distribution (Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, etc.).

When I need higher end performance, from the phone, I remote desktop to my higher end workstation or VM hosted either in the cloud or on my home network. But most of my day to day work is achievable directly on the phone.

This is my dream…

:relaxed:

maybe this then? https://maruos.com/

1 Like

Nice. Now I need to pickup a supported device. That’s awesome. Thanks for the link.

1 Like

you are most welcome :smiley:

Then you should of gotten the Windows Lumia 950 series mobile phone. It did exactly that very thing.

It did exactly what he wanted? Let’s recap . . .

Lumia 950 doesn’t use Linux distro . . . so did something similarly to the thing*. :smiley:

1 Like

Au Contraire!