Linux Tax Prep Software?

Hi all, I have a bit of a U.S. seasonal question for you. I’ve run *buntu/debian variants for many, many years and trace my Linux lineage back to installing pre releases of RedHat from floppies on a 386sx PC in the early-mid 90’s. Since the advent of Tax preparation Software I’ve always been forced to keep a Windows laptop alive so that I had a platform that could I could use for doing my fed/state Taxes. Never really saw any tax prep offerings that supported Linux. Well, this year’s tax prep has me buying yet another cheapo walmart “tax” machine due to Microsoft pushing a Windows 10 update that killed my perfectly serviceable (mint condition) 4 year old HP laptop. Any hints for Linux tax prep software? never really tried TaxCut or TurboTax under Wine. Is that even a thing that works anymore?

Thanks,
Fozzey

BTW: The HP is now the wife’s new laptop and for comedic relief/personal satisfaction, it’s running Mint.

1 Like

This is a ‘me too’ response. The last 4 or 5 years part of my tax preparation is a month before doing my taxes I have to put my old drive back in my laptop and update Windows, which is basically an all-day affair. The only time I run Windows.

There’s always the web-version of TurboTax, but is it safe?

Did the same thing for 10+ years. Three years ago I gave in and went web based. I have had really good luck with https://www.freetaxusa.com/

1 Like

We use TurboTax online. Have for years.

1 Like

I did too until they completely screwed me over last year. Wanted money for previous tax returns and then wanted more money just to file them. I ended up paying them for the previous tax returns but filed them by mail.

I won’t be using them this year. It was a completely horrible experience.

1 Like

Totally off the original topic but I feel like the primary answer to that was just for the most part “no”.
However that is another reason I went with the solution I did. Once I decided to go online, price and accessibility were my main considerations. It may change someday but the features hit everything I needed, old returns are imported and accessible, and the price is so reasonable that like a lot of my open source tools I give them money where I can just to encourage the paradigm.

I’m really glad I don’t live in USA and therefore my government does my taxes for me.

2 Likes

I have been using TurboTax with either Crossover from Codeweavers or in a Win7 VM. I guess I will have to get a Win10 License for the 2020 tax season. I am really hoping that I could just use TurboTax in Crossover or Lutris, really. That would be good enough for me.

@Kikuchiyo yep, how it should be. Our system is insane and all because these tax companies force us to deal with it so they make money. (yes its the tax companies that lobby against fixing it)

@CubicleNate you could just download a Windows 10 VM from https://modern.ie and that way you have 90 days (per VM) without having to worry about buying anything.

2 Likes

Thanks Michael, that means I have to be deliberate about getting the tax crap done quickly! :slight_smile:

1 Like