Linux Laptop Brand Recommendations

Hey there. I’m new to the awesome Destination Linux Network. I’m looking for a recommendation for a Linux laptop. I don’t play graphic intensive games (I have a Nintendo Switch for gaming), I mostly surf the net. I don’t want to spend more than $1000 US. I use a laptop that originally ran Windows 8, I upgraded to Windows 10 but didn’t like all the crashes and automatic updates. So, after the warranty ran out I installed Linux and haven’t looked back since. Right now I’m running Xubuntu 19.10 and loving it ! I’m asking because this is an old laptop and I might need a new one one of these days. Thanx and have a great day !

I’m always a fan of buying from a company that actually ‘makes’ Linux computers (see System76, Dell, etc) - vs buying a Windows computer and installing Linux on it (see Lenovo, most other mfgs).

Of course, not knowing if your in the US or elsewhere, this is a bit harder, as I wouldn’t suggest buying from a company you have to import from (as it’s much more expensive)

If you are in the US, System 76 has 2 laptops that are at the high end of your spectrum, the Darter and the Galago Pro - both come with an i5 4.2 ghz processor with 8gb of memory.

If you are in the EU area, I would look into Entroware…

Although, having said all that - if you really ‘mostly’ surf the net - maybe even look at getting a Pinebook Pro - for $199, its a solid computer (from what I’ve heard regarding the DLN reviews) that runs linux like a champ and probably do 90% of your basic computer needs!

1 Like

Budget $500-600 you could get a ryzen
Lenovo Flex 14 - Asus Vivo AMD my preference
$1000
My favorites MSI Alpha 15 - ASUS TUF505DU-EB74

As a European I would also suggest Entroware or Slimbook if you want something nice, shiny and new. I like Dell laptops and if I had money I would buy an XPS with Ubuntu.

Though personally I buy used hardware with no OS installed and install my Linux distro of choice, mostly on Dells and old Thinkpads.

1 Like

Tuxedo Computers have been mentioned a few times in recent episodes of DL and DLXtend.

I bought a Linux laptop with elementary pre installed, from Juno Computers. I don’t game or do anything intensive on it and it’s been great so far, no issues. I’m in the UK though, not sure if they ship to us.

I have always used Dell laptops and likely will continue to do so. They aren’t always 100% compatible but are usually a solid 95%. For example, the only thing that doesn’t work on my XPS 15 is the fingerprint reader which would be nice to have but ultimately doesn’t impact my use of the system. The build quality is generally very good and things like the keyboard and trackpad are excellent in my opinion. They are usually very competitive on price as well. I have no vested interest in Dell other than I have had great experiences for the past 15 years or so with their products. It may be the only company that I have brand loyalty toward now that I think about it.

1 Like

For 2 years now, I’ve had a trusty Asus Zenbook UX330U, it was $1000 US back in its day. I’m a semi-nomad, and it’s been lugged around a lot. It’s a Macbook Pro knockoff, and has an aluminium chassis. Most of the hardware keys work: volume up and down, video brightness up and down, backlit keyboard brightness up and down. I’ve run PopOS, Linux Mint and MX linux on it. Each distro was silky smooth every time. I did have to upgrade the firmware in the included M.2 drive, but that was in no way the fault of Linux. I’d recommend this laptop, and buy it again, or something similar to it.

Asus makes quality hardware at a very fair price! I’ve been buying Asus mobos (personal and corporate setting) since like 20 years, and they’ve earned my loyalty. Asus, please stay true to your commitment to quality!! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanx everybody for all the replies. Every reply is useful. I live in the U.S. I see what I heard about the usefulness of the Destination Linux Network was correct.

1 Like

Interesting factoid about that Asus Zenbook UX300U. In MX Linux 19, the hardware button to switch between Airplane Mode, and Wifi-On mode, works (but the notifications aren’t shown all that nicely), and in Pop_OS 19.10, that hardware button works even better, with very nice notifications.

Dell and Lenovo both have always worked for me no matter the price point. However, I would suggest looking into companies that specifically make Linux laptops like system76, Tuxedo Computers, Pine64, Juno etc. Voting with your dollar is powerful. However, if you are unable to purchase from them, then Dell or Lenovo are pretty good choices that should work.

I bought a system76 Oryx Pro last year and it’s absolutely the best computer I’ve ever had. Their support team is super engaged and helpful. They do have cheaper models available as well, so just check it out if you get a chance, you won’t be disappointed.

5 Likes

Avoid HP. I bought a $1000 one and it’s nothing but garbage, and not my first one. My first one died on me after warranty expired. Endless problems with them.

As others have stated, Dell is a very quality brand. I have a couple of Dells now running Linux. I am writing this message on a 10 year old business one now with the first generation Core i7 mobile.

Toshiba is also a good brand. I still got one I got from Best Buy on clearance in 2009 as they were wanting to get rid of the Windows Vista OS ones with Windows 7 now out.

It has a Core 2 Duo with Debian 10 on it. Runs just fine after nearly 11 years despite being dropped a bunch of times.

1 Like

I’m using a HP laptop running Xubuntu 19.10 and it’s running great, even the touch screen works fine. You shouldn’t put HP down just because you had problems with just one of their products. I’ve always been happy with HP products. Don’t stereotype.

HP makes awesome printers, that work well in Linux (and I have a strong loyalty to their printers for their Linux support). But HP laptops? Maybe they are OK, but I think one can do better. I’ve heard mixed emotions on them in other places (for use with Linux).

I have a disdain for HP printers. They do every trick in the book to try to make sure you purchase their way over priced ink and toner. For printers on Linux, Samsung has a universal print driver which seems to actually function better than the Windows version. However, HP bought out Samsung printers a couple of years ago. Not sure what to think about that so far. HP bought out Compaq (which they bought out DEC) and turned that into a disaster.

Just one? I have nothing but trouble with ALL their products. two laptops , and multiple printers.

I used an HP. Yes they work fine but the build quality is not that great compared to Thinkpads and Dells of course. I know there are some nice business machines out there. Though I would definitely stay away from consumer hardware from HP but that can also be said of Lenovos.

The printers are just fine. We bought recently a new one from HP after using another for almost 10 years. The ink thing is another story of course and I agree it is insanely expensive.

1 Like

Two laptops and multiple printers doesn’t sound like you tried ALL of their products. You should just say that the HP products YOU USED were junk not ALL HP products are junk. I’ve never had a major problem with any HP product I’ve used. Quit stereotyping, I don’t know you but I think that you are better than that !

Dude,m what is wrong with you? I am speaking from my own experience, and look at others; nobody else is recommending them either.

I have had good experiences with MSI, Dell, Acer, and Asus. In fact, I have one of each of those laptops with various Linux flavors running currently… Almost all of the machines I’ve had either integrated intel graphics or dual intel/nvidia graphics which I have had little issues with compatibility.

Quite conversely, the only machine I’ve tried with AMD graphics I had a lot of issues with trying to get distros running… Now, that’s probably because I’ve had to “learn the hard way” perhaps with nvidia; however, this is only my experience :+1: