GnuCash Alternatives

Hello DLN,

I have used GnuCash for many years. It’s been a great application, but I’d like something a little more ‘modern’ (?) feeling. (I suppose I could build a different front-end for it, but who has the time?)

Does anyone know of a good Linux financial program, that isn’t a web site?

Use case is personal and small business.

1 Like

I’ve only tried gnucash and skrooge so far. As an accountant I preferred the mechanics of gnucash because it’s double entry, but it’s ui to me is just terrible. Skrooge looks better but I only spent a small amount of time on it and didn’t really like it.

All I really want to do is largely automate the categorisation of my bank transactions and do some personal budgeting. Unfortunately neither have done this the way I want to, although gnucash is very good at the categorisation to be fair.

However I’ve instead done it myself in excel using vba. I’ve also started attempting to do it using python and Pyqt5 but I’m a beginner in that regard so don’t think I’d ever get to the point of being knowledgeable enough to build a publishable app.

3 Likes

Have a look at Kmymoney. It’s similar to the old Quicken, and is very easy to set up.

2 Likes

Thanks. I don’t think I’ve seen that one in my searches, yet. =)

I agree about the double entry, and the ui. Although, I’ve recently installed Plasma and Qt on my system. Even though I’m not actually using Plasma right now, a lot of apps pick up on the fact that KDE and Qt are there and now they look a bit nicer. So the UI is the same, but it does look a bit better.

1 Like

Did you find something that worked? I just got started with Money Manager Ex, and like it pretty good for personal use. Let’s you set budgets, you can copy those budgets, you can set budgets to be per year (like life insurance) and it will calculate the amount you ‘owe’ each month. Supposed to have some reporting, but I don’t have enough data entered yet.

1 Like

I’ve used Kmymoney which was great but ended up using a docker container of Firefly III. On the simpler side but it looks sexy and has everything I need.

1 Like

I tried several times to get Firefly going and couldn’t do it. You like it though?

Love it but it might not have all of the features you’re used to in Gnucash - I’m not sure.

I have been inspired to check out both Kmymoney and Skrooge. I have just been using my banking application / website as I have simplified many things but I feel like I don’t “own” my data and I have no way to track my cash-on-hand portions of my finances.

Thanks for this!

3 Likes

For the last two years, I have been keeping my financial records first in GnuCash and now KmyMoney. I liked GnuCash, but not having an accounting back ground, I don’t think I fully comprehended or utilized the Double Entry system that it sets up for you. I stopped used GnuCash a year and half ago when an update to Ubuntu Mate caused GnuCash to start crashing or even start up. I never figured out what was the cause (seemed to be a rather unique issue to me), and since it was near January, I figured I could transition to a different program with the start of a new calendar year.

I had used KmyMoney years ago, and decided to go back to it. Once again not having the accounting background KmyMoney was easier for me to understand the concepts and get up and running the fastest. After a year and half, I’m going to stick with KmyMoney as long as it continue to work. I have noticed issues running KmyMoney under Gnome with Wayland. I get very strange graphical glitches, so be aware of that, otherwise KmyMoney has been working fine on both Fedora and Ubuntu Mate the latest versions.

3 Likes

If MoneyManagerEX doesn’t work, I’ll give kmymoney a try.

There are also two other options in HomeBank, which IIRC is a GnuCash fork with a more modern UI, and MoneyDance, which isn’t FOSS, but it’s a $50 one-time purchase and seems to work well enough. Unfortunately it doesn’t work with my banks, which is sad, but someone else might get lucky with it.

I’d like to have an accounting software that can just query my bank and grab the information but I just haven’t found anything like that and Quicken doesn’t work in Wine. :frowning:

1 Like

I didn’t find anything else that i liked, really. The program you found sounds interesting.

It took some setting up, but it’s OK for me now. Better than my Excel sheets so far. I think Firefly would be my ultimate ‘ideal’, but I’ll use this for a bit.

1 Like

A few of you mention liking or disliking whether the program works with your bank. I use a Credit Union and haven’t had much luck with programs working with it, but when I download a data dump, I often find the way the information is formatted is not as clean and easy to parse as when I’m entering the data myself. Does anyone else prefer to just manually enter the data instead of accepting the banks data strings? (A good example of this are Gas Stations, I care very little if I have a record of every individual gas station that I fill up at, it just slows down the “autofill” when I do need to make a manual entry…)

1 Like

I manually fill in every entry. It’s time consuming, but if you go somewhere like a Walmart, you might buy groceries and stuff for your house and clothes and…I need to be able to parse that entry myself to make sure I’m pulling from the right budgets. But, I’m hyper-detailed which is why I wanted a program instead of a spreadsheet too!

1 Like

I’ve ended up using kmymoney. I like that it is double entry and it’s relatively easy to use. The graphs are truly terrible and ugly though. But for recording, categorising and analysing my personal expenditure it works just fine.

2 Likes

I actually use css,js+html file with tables for this, I trust my own code the most for my money information, for the analytical part I mostly use bash scripts I save the data in NoSQL DB easier to manage.
My first profession was software engineering, hence my mind set always is if ti doesn’t exist build it.

Regards, Alex

1 Like

How do you get the data into this NoSQL DB?

1 Like