Zorin OS, ArcoLinux, Mesa, DXVK, QEMU, Microsoft Teams, RISC-V, Disney+ | This Week in Linux 90

7 Likes

Hey, @MichaelTunnell. I appreciate the coverage on Microsoft Teams for Linux (one of my pet projects). I know you said you didn’t like it all that much and preferred other tools like Slack, but I would like to point out, not necessarily that you’re wrong, but that there’s a lot more to it than that. Teams is not a direct Slack competitor. Sure, it does some similar things, and honestly those similar things might be handled better by other tools, but Teams does a lot more and is really geared at the enterprise customer who needs organizational control over the content, who needs retention policies, legal holds/investigative tools, video and audio conferencing, etc.

For the normal person, Teams isn’t really a good fit as it is really geared at the business user, so I can see why you would have the opinion you do. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

that is a good point. I was not looking at it in an enterprise focus so it is fair to say I wasn’t fully aware of what Teams is meant for.

2 Likes

@MichaelTunnell Thanks, Michael. Very interesting. I need to catch-up on some of the latest CPU architectures including details of RISC-V, would also understand the section on QEMU better after some current reading, I think! I still find Gnome Boxes (which uses QEMU) more reliable than Virtualbox on Linux so will be learning more about QEMU in future. Also I hope Mandalorian gets a DVD release. I’m old fashioned and like owning good shows on disc :slight_smile:

2 Likes