You May Not Own Your HP Printer

So you know that expensive HP printer/scanner you bought? Despite paying for it, you might not really own it depending on the model. If your HP printer currently works with non-HP cartridges you might want to block the HP url on your router to prevent a firmware update.

2 Likes

As I pointed out on Matrix. Not for the first time.

1 Like

It’s amazing that they would pull the same shenanigans they previously did not win.

3 Likes

Shareholders expect continuous growth or they will pull their funds elsewhere. Kinda hard to simply double-down on quality and innovation when the lucrative subscription model taints everything it touches.

It could be worse… Imagine your surprise to find out that instead of walled-gardens of ink subscriptions your printer opted to print out a full color ad every 10 pages… unless you subscribed for the ‘Premium printing’ experience. Yeah, it could be worse. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hopefully, this will be settled once and for all in the court room, that is if enough money changes hands. It seems that is all that matters these days.

I’d absolutely love to calculate the bandwidth consumed from unauthorized traffic flowing through my home network from apps phoning home so that I could start sending them their due share of my ISP bill every month.

2 Likes

I was hopeful for HP and am glad they discuss electronic waste, but who would ever dream of this? HP should never have the right to disable a device which is not in their development. Once a device leaves HP, I should be able to use food coloring if I want, or even paint or hemp oil. It’s the customers printer, and I’m sure if HP wants to remain a respectable company, they’ll change this in a year. If not, then no more HP. They’ll ruin their own business, but clearly do not care at all.

2 Likes