Why GNOME OS Matters More Than You Think

By Alan Diggs

2 Likes

That was an article which purposefully ignores other efforts and overplays the importance of the GNOME project. It reads more like an advertisement and doesn’t bring anything new or thought provoking to the table. A definite low point in the FPL startup. If there was a gripped fist wiggle emoji, it would sum up my reaction.

Thank you for the feedback! I do understand that I played heavily towards the side of the GNOME Project here, and that was the intention. It’s an opinion piece, and I am a fan of the GNOME Project. However, I am greatly appreciative of many other projects that not only use GNOME, but other technologies on Linux, and this in no way makes me less loving of them. I’ll try to find ways to improve my approach in the future! <3

4 Likes

This isn’t clearly marked as an opinion piece. I guess Articles is the FPL catch-all category, but the tone of this one is completely different from the previous articles in the Articles category. This is less your article’s problem then a FPL problem. Growing pains, I guess.

Just a bucket of sunshine and smiles over here eh? It’s ok to provide feedback and not be a jerk on the internet…just sayin.

That aside, nice write up @Schykle. Is this really your first article? It’s obvious you’ve given this some thought and appreciate you sharing your opinions on what “could become” of their efforts to put GNOME OS together. You have my interest peaked enough to check it out further.

I look forward to seeing what other topics you come up with as you develop as a writer.
Well done sir. :clap:t3:

3 Likes

Meh. It reads like a paid promotion and isn’t in the tone of the other articles. It’s ok to give criticism without sunshine and smiles too.

This part can also be true.

1 Like

This is indeed my first! I’ve been writing random things since I was in elementary school, but I’ve not really been confident enough to post and share them until more recently. I’m very excited for what the future holds! I think I’ve found a comfortable space here!

1 Like

I aspire to be criticized by @PatPlusLinux, he’s always worth listening to.

You guys want to see the first and only article i’ve ever written that’s on FPL? It’s here: https://frontpagelinux.com/news/kde-plasma-bigscreen-hits-beta/
It took me FOREVER to write that lol. @Schykle what you wrote would have taken me days and +1 on the grace above. The topic’s a bit over my head but I learned some.

Software freedom needs us, get after it!

2 Likes

Gnome. Bringing the cellular phone to the desktop

2 Likes

How do you figure? I think 3.36 was a big desktop centric release. Especially symbolized with the removal of that stupid pull up to unlock. I might not have liked the article, but your criticism doesn’t make any sense.

Edit: Also welcome to the community, join the Matrix chat.

1 Like

If I could make the recommendation, at least for the future… Not liking an article or disagreeing with an article is one thing. But the approach matters, and starting your first interactions as an attack isn’t very encouraging. CC @PatPlusLinux.

1 Like

Have you joined the Matrix chat?

I have not. I stopped using Matrix as I couldn’t find a client with a webapp other than Element. I am in the Telegram group, though! :smiley:

1 Like

I’ll say this about GNOME. Since reading your article, I tested Fedora Silverblue 33 since and GNOME 3.38 felt really really nice in a way that 3.36 doesn’t. I think moving the desktop to have responsive apps without sacrificing the fundamental desktop experience is really the way forward.
I haven’t used GNOME as my daily driver desktop since Gnome 2.32 with Blag Linux and GNU back in 2011, moved to MATE, then I moved to Plasma 5.2, but I’ve checked in via VMs and USB sticks over the years and 3.36 was nice, but 3.38 seems like a completely different GNOME shell. Whether they say so or not, I think it was after KDE got the RAM usage of Plasma under that of XFCE that GNOME really started to focus on performance and it has shown.
It really doesn’t surprise me that they want to change the version number after this release because they are at the cusp of a beautifully crafted DE.

1 Like

That opens up my appetite for Gnome again. Just by your description.
I always try it but fail to stick with it. My last iteration of Gnome was probably 3.34? I am not sure anymore.

3 Likes

@Schykle & @PatPlusLinux I made a mistake in not marking opinion pieces more clearly. (it was marked at the bottom and thats not ideal)

I have made the correction so now all opinion pieces will be clearly marked as such.

opinion-piece-tag

3 Likes

Thanks for the fix!

1 Like