WhatsApp’s new privacy policy allows Facebook data collection

“Facebook, the owner of WhatsApp, has forced an ultimatum upon WhatsApp’s users: share your personal data and metadata from the end-to-end encrypted messenger with Facebook, or lose access to your WhatsApp account.”

…“users in Europe (and the post-Brexit UK) will likely not be subject to these same data-sharing agreements (although users in the UK and Europe will need to accept new terms). The the ultimate impact of these new terms are still being examined”…

WhatsApp will add the following data to your Facebook profile:

• Your WhatsApp phone number
  • Your contacts’ phone numbers stored in your address book
  • Your profile name
  • Your profile picture
  • Your status message
  • A timestamp from when you were last online
  • Diagnostic data collected from app logs

So that’s why I was seeing more friends creating an account on Signal or Telegram :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

:clap:
Way to go WhatsApp!! :face_vomiting:
Funny thing though, i presented this to my colleagues at work and guess what the major reaction was:
“Mêh”
I don’t understand that. Really i don’t.

Exactly. They do not care, still! Because they think they have nothing to hide.

There is an exodus to Telegram and Signal but it will be a minority of some more conscious users and then it will fade away like always. The great mass will still be using WhatsApp, Facebook, its Messenger and Instagram.

Even if I do not have a Facebook account that company will know my phone number because many of my contacts use WhatsApp. An American corporation will have my number that I do not share personally with unknown people and people still do not care.

1 Like