What's Your Favorite IDE & Why?

On an upcoming episode of Destination Linux we’re going to be talking about IDE’s. Whether you use Visual Basic Code, Atom, Sublime, VIM, or a combination of IDE’s, we want to know from you what your favorite IDE’s are and why you use them.

Comments maybe used in the show.

I’ve standardized on Visual Studio Code this year - cross platform and its plugin system allows me to work in multiple tech stacks. Is it perfect no … but it’s the good enough solution.

I’ve used intelliJ, Visual Studio, and Netbeans - all have strengths but none have worked this well across the 3 platforms I find myself in( Linux, mac, and windows).

2 Likes

I use vim, mousepad, atom daily. I’ve also been playing around with micro which is the closest you can get to a mainstream GUI editor in a terminal window.

(it should replace nano as the default on all beginner friendly distros imho)

P.S.
Don’t let Michael talk about Sublime Text, nobody cares.

2 Likes

I don’t code a lot, but am learning using atom and have really enjoyed it. I previously had used Geany but don’t remember liking it as much, but that was years ago.

1 Like

Right now it is Atom. Microsoft Visual Studio Code used to be when I was on Windows and Mac. I switched to Linux, still used it a bit, but I refuse to use it now. I want nothing to do with Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Adobe etc. Yes, I am one of those people :slight_smile:

Right now I’ve been using Atom for over a year, although I want to dump it as it is from GitHub which is now owned by Microsoft too. I have my eye on Brackets since Adobe no longer owns it. Checked on it while writing this and it appears to have been v2 released finally. If it sucks, I guess I will continue with Atom and the subliminal rash it gives me knowing Microsoft owns GitHub now. I just want privacy, freedom and don’t want to fuel the machines that are killing our freedoms and privacy.

1 Like

Is it (atom) not totally open source? Does it still have some negative privacy thing in it?

I use vim, yes I know, it is not cool anymore. :slight_smile: I cannot remember why it was vim. But from the two CLI editors that were installed by default in Debian I decided that vim is for me. I assure you I have no clue how nano works.

Actually it was vi. Then I installed vim.

I just followed some lines of the man page and that was it. Later I learned some more commands and tricks and I still do not know them all.

Vim to me is fast, light, efficient, really productive, it is free software right from any official Linux repository and ready to use. Yes, I like that I can use it from the terminal and I do not use any GUI with it.

The second IDE that I have installed because it comes by default in any Xfce distro is Mousepad and sometimes Leafpad. I use them just for some edits when I am already in Thunar but it is rare.

I use vim especially for editing configuration files and scripts, e.g. on Debian and Slackware. I make notes with it and one of the most important files that I edit with vim are my bibliographies. I am a teacher. I also write small texts with it.

1 Like

I should add - for this question is a text editor an IDE or is tooling implied when saying IDE.

Admittedly it’s been a while since I’ve actively developed, but when I did I used IntelliJ IDEA.

1 Like

The Welcome window has a toggle of allowing telemetry or not. Not sure if this is what you’re talking about? It is shown to you right away, not something hidden and turned on by default. It is checked by default, but hard to not notice?

I don’t even remember the screen, I’m sure I said no, because it sounds like we see those things the same way. What I meant was do you only NOT want to use it because it’s Microsoft, or is there some other negative privacy thing in it?

Because it is an application under the umbrella of Microsoft now since they purchased GitHub. MS is no friend of Linux or Opensource anything. They embrace it to conquer it.

1 Like

I’m not a developer, but if i’m in need of something, vim’s the way for me.

2 Likes

CudaText. I recently rediscovered it and have been enjoying it more and more.

If I’m just at the terminal then I stick with VIM.

3 Likes

I use Geany, because I run a GTK DE and Geany has all of the features that I need and then some.

1 Like

If I’m teaching (usually Python or Rust ) I go with Jupyter Notebooks or Vim.

If I’m working, Vim, Pycharm, Jupyter Notebook

and yes… Somtimes I use Sublime Text

2 Likes

VSCode, or Code OSS. Both on my work machine and my personal stuff.

Vim in the terminal of course.

Emacs was great, but if you can’t have it everywhere (corp hardware for instance) it’s a beast for me to mentally switch gears.

VSCode just works well.

1 Like

This is a first for me. Are you prohibited from using it?

The official stance would be yes, since I’m not supposed to install software despite being in IT. (Welcome to the highly regulated enterprise world).

Now. I can make it work, since eMacs doesn’t require admin rights to run. But the headache of actually getting all the assorted plugins I need pulled down and working makes it more difficult than it’s worth.

Keep in mind this is on a windows workstation as well

VS Code. It is feature rich and has so many extensions that you can literally do anything with it. Also it’s decently performant for an electron app. One of the main benefits is the intellisense code completion.

I do have to say, I wish there were a native, cross platform, open source text editor/IDE that is as feature rich and extensible as VS Code, but not controlled by Microsoft. Unfortunately, for me none of the Jetbrains IDE’s fit that category, though maybe Fleet can change that. Neither does Sublime Text.

Maybe that’s just a pipe dream and only a company on the level of Microsoft has the resources to build an editor like VS Code.