What is the funniest/quirkiest hostname you've ever given to a Linux box, or phone? Nothing crude/dirty, please

I needed to setup a Linux shell access host for admins to use as a passthru when off-campus to get access to firewall hosts. Named it, wait for it:
sh.it.xx.xxx
Quickly became know as ‘shit’, as in “Did you try logging into shit to get access?”

2 Likes

I name all machines under my control after Alliance cities and towns from World of Warcraft. Servers are named after capital cities and everything else gets lesser towns.

I use norse gods as my defaults, being scandinavian it just feels right.

Here’s a couple:

Desktop PC: odin
Primary Laptop: loke
Secondary laptop: heimdal

I’m not that creative when it comes to my ARM boards.
The ones I have running all the time includes:
on2-runner
rockpi4b-runner
rockpro64-runner
docker1

3 Likes

I think I’m going to have to tweak some things and start naming my stuff after Discworld Characters.

2 Likes

Good one too!! Can’t wait to see wich one will be called Nobby… XD

I named a Linux box “chittles” once, which is a squirrel’s name. As in, that’s the sound a squirrel makes. Nobody around me appreciated the name, as their love of squirrels was nowhere close to my own.

I don’t use real names on my workstation so for each of them it’s the same user “vader” on “death-star” for my desktop and “executor” (vader’s flagship) for my laptop.

1 Like

Chimera
God
MrFancyPantz
Messiah
TheShermanator
Arch-Beast (currently in use)

Definitely the kid’s Chromebook

1 Like

1st set were characters from Robert A. Heinlein books. Currently using characters from David Eddings The Belgariad. In the process of redoing my homelab/network. Haven’t decided on a theme yet. I really like the idea of Terry Pratchett’s discworld. I may steal that idea!!! If I don’t find something I like better.

2 Likes

I use “littlebyte” for the production laptop and “littlebit” for the netbooks.

2 Likes

“ScootyPuffJr” or “ScootyPuffSr” for my OpenBSD machines

2 Likes

I never thought about naming all my devices until I read this thread. I found the idea funny but couldn’t come up with something fitting. Until recently while talking TV shows with a colleague. One of my favourite show is Battlestar Galactica and it is perfect for two reasons :

• my laptop is a MSI GE66 Dragonshield and Starbuck feels perfect as a name for it
  • we still have some Apple devices and Cylon names are also perfect (they want a better future for humanity… do they ? :sweat_smile:)
2 Likes

I’ve never named my machines anything other than something that describes it’s physical hardware and/or role. But I’ve become inspired and I’ve created a list based on one of my favorite books “The Hobbit”

Breakfast
Second Breakfast
Elevenses
Luncheon
Afternoon Tea
Dinner
Supper

I don’t have many machines so the list is long enough.

3 Likes

I name my devices after various literary and/or pop culture franchises. I’ve had characters from Dune, The Boys, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Harry Potter. Just depends on my mood.

My phone is currently named Black Noir.

Names from the Department of Redundancy Department:

Black Noir = Black Black
Sahara Desert = Desert Desert
Lake Tanganyika = Lake Lake
Chai Tea = Tea Tea

4 Likes