What is everyone's thoughts on Teamviewer?

It’s not open source (I don’t believe), but has anyone used it or know of an open source remote desktop application?

1 Like

I use it to do tech support on my parent’s computer from my Linux desktop at home on Fedora 33. The Linux version seems to work just as well as the Windows version when I remote into their computer. There may be opensource options, but I have been using Teamviewer for this one personal use because it is easy and free for personal use. You don’t have to open up any ports in the network router.

1 Like

Never used it. My school (I’m a tutor) uses basic sharing in Zoom & https://anydesk.com

Same usecase as @mowest here.

I’ve used teamviewer to assist family members on windows from my Linux Mint machine and it works well. I think Anydesk is open source though, I still have to try it.

I noticed teamviewer was running some processes in the background all the time though, even after a reboot.

Jitsi Meet has a screen-sharing feature. I’ve used that screen-sharing feature to troubleshoot issues on my mother’s computer, and she runs Linux Mint. No need for her to install any client software like Teamviewer.

Having said this, not all web browsers are created equal, for the WebRTC functionality which Jitsi Meet uses. If you’re lucky, Firefox will work with no problems (for all the possible features that Jitsi Meet is capable of), however if you encounter any problems, then fall back to Chromium, or Google Chrome. They will have the very best WebRTC support.

It’s been a while since I’ve needed to do any troubleshooting of my mother’s computer, and several new versions of all these browsers have come out since then. Perhaps WebRTC works perfectly now in Firefox, for all I know.

You would do well to do some testing of Jitsi Meet, with the specific browsers you expect to use (on either end), before you go embarrasing yourself in front of your parents, by presenting a solution such as Jitsi Meet as being something totally trustworthy, and bug-free. :wink:

I keep a totally separate, older laptop (an old junker i3 dual core) where I exclusively install any proprietary scumware (where it can’t spy on me, as I store no personal data on that machine). This is where I install the likes of Zoom, Discord, etc. (and I always catch them doing subtle, dodgy background rummaging around, just like you are discribing).

I use “Barrier” to easily move between my “good” machine, and the “scumware” machine. I try to be careful to not bring any passwords across the “Barrier” still in the clipboard (and the clipboard contents comes across the barrier).

I use it at work for remote support.
It works and customers already know what it is which cuts down the time explaining.

It has actually been behaving a lot better than it used to be.
It used to be wine wrapped but since I think it was version 11 it is native with a Qt based ui.
I haven’t really had problems with teamviewer recently.

Not a fan of Team Viewer, it has been involved in far too many high profile hacks and CVEs.
I cringed anytime a coworker insisted upon using it.

Thankfully, they started to crack down and label pretty much any non-residential connection as in violation of their TOS so it’s a non-issue, now. :slight_smile:

Anydesk has been a great alternative for remote end-user support and we use their enterprise licensing (for multiple simultaneous connections from the same network).

Have also used No Machine without issue, as well.