What are your thoughts/experiences with Fedora 33?

I’ll start - the beta I downloaded recently is very much a beta. Apparently on some systems it won’t load with SecureBoot turned on, and for me the version of Firefox they have on it doesn’t render drop-down menus correctly (read: at all). This isn’t a knock on it - it’s still a beta after all, these are bugs that will get ironed out. I’m curious what other people’s experience has been?

My current testbed is a Dell Inspiron 5593 (i7 10th gen, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus graphics, 512GB NVMe). I tried the install on bare metal.

I am typing this from Fedora 33 beta on a DELL inspiron 5735 and secure boot will not let fedora run but secure boot works with the beta on my lenovo thinkpad x131e with no issue. I don’t care one way or the other about secure boot so turning it off on the DELL is no problem. I am enjoying my time with Fedora 33. Everything I need to work is working and this is the first time that Fedora has been on any of my computers for more than a few hours just to check it out. I normally use KDE but I tried POP OS and fell in love with Gnome (probably just needed a change) I have been looking for a distro to just use for everyday stuff and Fedora could be that distro.

1 Like

Interesting. I wonder if there’s something wonky about the way Dell implemented SecureBoot on these 5000 series laptops.

Well, slight update. I installed Fedora 32 on the laptop and did an in-place upgrade to F33 and everything appears to be working. I’ll report back if something dies. If not, cool!

1 Like

Update - a couple of days in and I’ve noticed that about every other boot I get dumped to a grub command line prompt. Usually a reboot fixes it, but it’s kind of annoying. I might disable SecureBoot and see if that takes care of it.