Watermarking with Imagemagick

Noted in another thread about watermarking using digikam, and thought Id share how I go about it using imagemagick and a script to do a batch of images in a folder.
My reasoning is I dont use digikam, and cant be bothered going through darktable history and removing the watermark if someone wished to purchase a print/file.

Workflow is:

• export from darktable/whatever to the /source sub-directory
  • run the script, it will take every image from the /source folder, resize and add watermark, and export to a /watermarked subdirectory
  • check the images in the /watermarked directory are as I want, upload/whatever.

It’s nice once set up, and is pretty speedy.
Here’s the script for 1920 on whichever long edge:

#!/bin/bash
for i in ./source/*.jpg ./source/*.jpeg ./source/*.png
do
    if [ ! -d "./watermarked" ]; then mkdir "./watermarked"; fi
    filename=$(basename "$i")
    /bin/convert \
    -filter Lanczos \
    "$i" \
    -set option:filter:filter Lanczos \
    -set option:filter:blur 0.8 \
    -resize 1920x1920 \
    -quality 90 \
    ./Logo/SIF_Logo_300.png -gravity SouthEast -geometry +20+15 -compose Multiply -composite \
    "./watermarked/$filename"
done

if you want a windows batch file:

@echo off
FOR %%i IN (./\*.jpg ./\*.jpeg ./\*.png) DO (
    IF NOT EXIST ./\watermarked mkdir watermarked
    convert ^
    -filter Lanczos ^
    "%%i" ^
    -set option:filter:filter Lanczos ^
    -set option:filter:blur 0.8 ^
    -resize 1920x1920 ^
    -quality 90 ^
    ./Logo/SIF_Logo_300.png -gravity SouthEast -geometry +20+15 -composite ^
    "./\watermarked\%%~nxi"
)

Bit of a breakdown of what its doing, and so you can modify to suit you:
Top part sets up the folders, created the output folder if it’s not there.
Next lines are the filtering for the resize, and the dimensions for the long edge; adjust as you see fit.
And output jpg quality.
source for the watermark image, I have watermarks in a subfolder /Logo - the preceding dot tells it that it’s a sub-folder from the script folder.
-gravity North/South/etc sets starting point of Logo position
-geometry Lat/Long offset from starting position. Change the values and you’ll work it out.
-compose Multiply adds the image using “multiply” like a photoshop filter; whites fade into he background. I just like how it looks sometimes, it’s not essential.
-composite combines the original image and the watermark
Output directory/name.

Obviously you will need imagemagick installed from your repo. Or the website if you’re on Windows.
Credit: How to automatically watermark or batch watermark photos using ImageMagick | xoogu

3 Likes