Timeshift snapshot will not work in fedora 34

I used fedora 34, but i had to use Ubuntu for a while.

On my external drive i have several Timeshift snapshots. The one from Fedora 34, before i installed Ubuntu, and some snapshots from Ubuntu.

Now i have installed fedora 34 again and want to use the newest Fedora 34 snapshot.

When i try to restore the snapshot i get this message (see photo)

1 Like

I can’t solve the problem but it is most likely related to the fact that Fedora is not Debian based like Ubuntu is. I hope there is a way to span these distros. Hopefully, someone on here might be able to answer this. @kernellinux (Noah) may have some insight. If not response works out here, post a question over at podcast.asknoahshow.com

Here is a graphic that shows the relationships between all of the distros that have been developed.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b5/Linux_Distribution_Timeline_21_10_2021.svg

1 Like

Hi again. I was maybe a little bit unclear.

I have fedora 34 gnome 40 installed on the computer now. And i try to use the fedora 34 gnome 40 snapshot that i made before i unstalled ubuntu. But it does not work for some reason.

I have been trying for several hours no result. I think im gonna leave it for now.

Installed Fedora 35 Gnome 41 from skratch. Really like it!

The problem now is that Timeshift does not work at all in Fedora 35. Googled it and saw on some fourums that many got the same problem as i have.

Maybe a little bug?

I think we just have to wait for a fix in a future update :smiley:

1 Like

If I’m understanding this correctly, You are wanting to restore an snapshot of a previous install?
(You had Fedora 34, went to Ubuntu, come back to Fedora 34 wanting to restore a snapshot from the first install you had…)

I’m not too familiar with BTRFS which is what I will “assume” you were using for all your previous installs, but Snapshots of a partition are not Backups per-say of the install. A Snapshot is “a place in time to allow you to revert back” Like rollback feature.

Here’s the thing, Because your snapshots are from different installs of an OS, your Drive Partitions are different and the UUID is different as well. Amongst other things.
I guess what i am trying to say is that a Snapshot is not a Backup in the most explicit sense.

Here is an example:

I run an LVM with my partitions as XFS. Prior to doing a full system install (Nuke and Pave) I use XFS Dump to basically clone my file system, then on my new install I use XFS restore to gain everything back.
If on my working machine and an dnf update breaks my machine I can use LVM Snapshot to roll back the machine to a safe point in time. These two things are not the same. I can’t take a snapshot of my system then drop it in on a fresh install to restore my snapshot.

The reason being:

Snapshots are basically a collection of metadata about your current partition layout + free space+file system. A new install will not have any information in relation to that metadata because the partition and file system has changed. A Backup, is like a clone, image of your files that can be restored. A true system backup is best handled by the file system itself. A user can back up personal files on to external media, but a clone, or system backup can be better handled by the file system because of features in place to do so. (like xfsdump , xfsrestore , btrfs subvolume snapshot , btrbk )

This is not a Distribution issue, Snapshots and backups are distro agnostic handled by the Volume manager (BTRFS, LVM etc.) . I perceive the problem to be a mismatch in partition and file system. Even if the same Volume manager was used (BTRFS) this does not mean a snapshot is portable. A Backup of the system on the other hand, is !

@VE64RD correct me if I am wrong, but does Timeshift have a way to make a backup? I know it’s common use is for snapshots… Some times these features are more geared towards direct interaction with the Volume manager than a GUI app.

In the hopes that @MichaelTunnell @dasgeek @kernellinux see this post, It would be a great show idea ( and save me an email ) to discuss the differences with Snapshots vs Backups, since the term is not interchangeable but is commonly used to reference a similar action. ( Shadow Copy included )

1 Like

Are the older Fedora snapshots rsync snapshots or btrfs snapshots?

Timeshift markets itself as a snapshot utility and recommends NOT using it for /home backups.

1 Like

I think that could be the key here.

1 Like

They are rsync. Maybe that is the reason ?

For a noob/beginner as I am. What backup software do the community recommend me using?

I need a tool that can make me go back just like a “save file”. So if i mess up i can go back :smiley:

1 Like

You can have a look in Timeshift and what you set there. Fedora now uses btrfs by default and Ubuntu ext4 as files systems. Now in Timeshift you can decide to use either rsync or btrfs but for btrfs you need that running as your file system. That could then of course lead to incompatibilities.

As for backup software there is choice out there. Here some tips from our community:

1 Like

I would go all in on the file system tools. Its the way it should be done. If you are on Fedora, the current default install is BTRFS, a quick RTM or Timeshift will set up your back ups going and possibly get you to a point where you schedule back ups as you update the system. If you are on LVM/XFS , well you have LVM’s snapshot lvcreate feature and XFS’s xfsdump , xfsrestore for full system backups.

It looks like you are already comfortable with Timeshift and BTRFS with Fedora, sounds like the way to go !

side note: dnf history can help you rollback an update if one wrecks your system for some strange reason. . .

2 Likes

Thank you guys and or lady´s for the fast replies and help. I don´t know what i would done without this community! :heart:

1 Like