Time to Vote: Linux Out Loud Logo

@mattdln, @CubicleNate, and I spent a lot of time looking over the logos and chatting about our favorites. We couldn’t agree on three, so here are our top two logo picks. The submissions were fantastic. We loved looking over all the creative works you sent to us. Now it is time for you to give your feedback, and help us decide on a logo.

Option A

Option B

• Option A (hosts box of interests)
  • Option B (Tux Talk)

0 voters

We will be recording the FIRST Linux Out Loud on 2022-02-09T16:00:00Z. To make sure that we can have the logo ready to go for its debut release on 2022-02-16T12:00:00Z, voting will stay open until 2022-02-14T07:00:00Z.

4 Likes

While Option A looks really pleasing and first I voted for it. But after some thinking I changed my vote, because actually I like the symbol the Option B represents. My guess is that it needs a proper translation into vector graphics, but that is secondary, as this is about the idea (in my opinion). The “speaking” or “queaking” (if that is a word) of the Tux penguin has character and matches the name of Linux out Loud.
But! As said before the Option A has this instant likeable look of it. But it is a little bit too busy. Both entries are good and congratz to both of you.

3 Likes

Those are both really cool concepts, making for a tough choice. Well done to the contestants and good luck!

4 Likes

That’s a though choice indeed ! I went with option A because the Tux is used a lot to represent all that’s Linux. The loud integration is nice on option B but A seems more fresh and related to the hosts interests so it makes it quite unique.

3 Likes

A is a complete package. B needs converted to vector graphics (fivver) but has simplicity in its favor. I think that when the camera corner gets its own legs, parts of A will be better suited there. IMHO, if B had the polish of A, there’d be a clear winner.

5 Likes

@MichaelTunnell said that he would get option B usable if we went that route. Oh, and I LOVE the idea of using parts of A for Camera Corner!

3 Likes

Ironically I like the unfinished quality of B. I’d probably use it as-is or dark themed with an invert.

It reminds me of the class work Wendy does and it’s overflowing with unfinished character similar to the hosts.

1 Like

Both options are really great! I commend both artists! I wonder if it’s possible or if it makes sense to combine the elements from both logo candidates into a single logo?

1 Like

Both are fantastic. I went with A but maybe it should be be B. Oh my… :astonished:

3 Likes

Wow. Great jobs on either side. I like them both very much, but could only vote on one. Either way, whichever it’s going to be, it’ll be great!

2 Likes

The simplicity of B is ideal for a logo, however, it needs to be cleaned up and some color included, it will be fantastic. A is pleasing to the eye but it is a bit too busy. :smiley:

5 Likes

I like this one because it is clearly simple and can be visible as an icon, unlike A

3 Likes

Instinctively I like B. It is simple and striking and it is deliberately vague as to whether Tux is shouting or laughing. I like that.

The font can be a little more sophisticated, but I am sure a competent graphic artist can that that concept and make it is into something very attractive and stylish.

4 Likes

I want a coffee mug with option B! :wink:

5 Likes

I have to agree with @astronautsupplier. Any chance we could explore this idea further?

3 Likes

…and the kids want a Loud Tux plushie! :rofl:

3 Likes

I would want one as an alarm clock, which closes its eyes when making noise.

5 Likes

I’ve been been looking at Option B for a couple of days and I have to say, any attempt to clean it up would ruin the art. Including the writing. It would be like a pop art version of the Mona Lisa. I’d vote to leave it as is.

4 Likes

In order to just leave speculation of how it would look in a vector I just went “Fine, I’ll do it myself” and ported option B to a simple vector.

It’s not even close to perfect (as I’m not that skilled in Inkscape and made this in around 15 minutes) nor is it complete, but at least we’ll have a better idea of how it would look and now we at least have a base model to work with if it gets chosen, so here it is in all of its glory:

11 Likes

Awesome, I think you are doing well with Inkscape.

3 Likes