This Week in Linux 117: GNOME 3.38, Xfce 4.16, NVIDIA Buys ARM, Firefox Send Shutdown, PinePhone

1 Like

Excited to listen to this one, I loved FireFox Send, I can’t believe they shut it down!

2 Likes

Thanks, @MichaelTunnell - wow, yes, there was so much news I think you even spoke a tad faster than usual this episode :slight_smile:

I’m a regular user of Gnome so I’ll be looking forward to updates in about a year, I guess, given Debian’s model. Previously XFCE was my regular desktop so likewise am glad things are moving forward with that, especially with regard to Wayland compatibility, because on Debian I’m almost exclusively on Wayland rather than X11 as of Debian 10.

I’ve not really enjoyed Nvidia’s closed approach so I sincerely hope they don’t spoil Arm via their acquisition. Then again if it gives Risc-V a boost, that could be useful. I hope Huawei being a primary member doesn’t get in the way of its uptake after problems with restrictions elsewhere.

The PinePhone multi-image option is just fantastic, in my opinion. Definitely sounds very useful for testing out alternative OSes. I’ve had my Android device for several years now and I’d rather a PinePhone under Linux be my daily driver than Android in future, though not sure if that’s quite possible yet. I’m still keeping an eye on UBPorts and potentially contributing there with some code, as previously discussed. Still getting on with LFS build to learn the innards I think will really help when moving to mobile Linux OSes.

1 Like

@MichaelTunnell, this is was a great episode. The extra work you’re doing to add features like chapter marks in multiple platforms and general improvements to production value are really paying off. Keep up the awesome work.

2 Likes

Yea I was sad to hear they did that as well. I get it but still sad.

lol I might have. :smiley:

It’s kind of ready depending on the user and in other ways not so much.

That will be very painful but very beneficial :smiley:

thank you very much for the kind words! I am glad you appreciate the extra effort for those pieces. :smiley: It is nice to know people are noticing that stuff. :slight_smile:

1 Like