This video is a rallying cry for Linux gamers

And NEEDS to be shared with Windows gamers!

7 Likes

It’s a great video and display of the possibilities on Linux, but companies are becoming more and more hostile towards Linux Gamers using compatibility layers. EA is banning anyone who uses DXVK on to run their games, Epic is removing support for games that previously ran on Linux. The Anti-cheat issues also go into this. In my honest opinion, until Developers and Publishers support Linux gaming, the only way to play games reliably on Linux is through Virtualization. It’s sad but it must be said.

2 Likes

As much of what you are saying is true, the fact that gaming on Linux has come this far is also a fact. Who knows what the future will hold? With support from the community of gamers, attention may follow from developers of AAA games, which may provide more support down the road. With Microsoft edging further away from desktop focus, there’s no reason not to try to adopt gamers into our community. It’s a bit of a hopeful statement, but there’s nothing wrong with showing the world what Linux is capable of on the desktop.

We are having this conversation now because it’s possible. We can help open the eyes of our fellow other-os users - one step at a time.

2 Likes

I’d love to see open source games enter the stage here.

The fact is that as more and more users turn to Linux the market will change. Someone will see an opportunity and so the market will change.

Keep up the videos, keep posting on forums, and keep converting users. It will eventually happen.

2 Likes

The way the Gaming Industry sees it, They cater to an audience of Pre-Teen to early 20’s as their core audience. Yes gaming today has a larger market, but the majority of hardcore gamers are in this demographic. Evangelizing Linux to that group is much harder than to some one of a different demographic who needs to use their PC’s for more than just gaming. In my opinion that’s a harder sell.

A casul gamer who also uses their PC for productivity is usually more receptive to switching Platforms because of the Virus threats, and ease to move with compatibility of applications, that’s not the case for games.

Now, with all that being said, Google running it’s Stadia infrastructure on Vulcan and Linux, that could offer a way in for gaming on Linux. But until then, I just don’t see it.

1 Like

I think it’s a chicken and egg problem. There’s no subtantial amount of gamers that run linux as their go-to gaming platform, so why should we (AAA companies) support it? On the other hand: there are no AAA games for linux. So why should we use it?
It’s something we have to go through i guess. As linux (hopefully) will grow in use, more people will demand the games they like, supported for linux.
Also, if there would be an amount of pro-gamers using linux, or advocating their support for gaming on linux, that would help things forward much faster.

Yes. Sadly, I doubt you will ever see pro gamers use Linux on non-native games, due to the anti-cheat issue. They don’t want to risk getting accused of cheating.

Even sites like https://www.faceit.com, which is mostly competitive, but non-pro level gaming forces people to use anti-cheat that is not compatible with Linux even when playing Linux-native games like CS:GO. This makes Linux a complete no-go for people who otherwise might like the OS, but really just want to play with their friends.

I don’t (just) blame the vendors for this. They can make whatever software they like. The harm comes from the network effect and the network effect comes from the users.

So from my perspective, the issue is that people jump on proprietary bandwagons that lead to vendor lock-ins and eventually lock-outs of smaller user groups that are not profitable.

In this regard, I don’t think Linux people are any better.
I see Linux users and podcasters every day, talk about Telegram as if it’s somehow less evil, just because they make a Linux client, but the client compatibility is just a symptom of the disease.
The problem is vendor lock-in and the Telegram service is just as proprietary and locked down as Facebook.
The Linux people promoting Telegram groups are creating that network effect and are therefore causing the exact same harm as those promoting Facebook groups or any other closed network. They will be able to exploit their walled garden in the future and if the shareholders demand higher profit margins, the little group called Linux Users, that require their own special software, will be the first to get the bullet.

I just realized it is an older thread but nevertheless I liked the video. I am not a gamer myself but who knows. Maybe in the future I will try out some games. Though I need to make time for that. :slight_smile: My schedule is already filled with enough stuff.

Wouldn’t it be great if we, Linux users, had our own messaging app? Some crossover between Telegram and Signal. I’m not a developer, so i don’t know what work and resources it requires, but i think it would be a lot. Still, that said, it would be a start. Or do we have something like that already?
I think the community has the knowledge, but when it comes to resources, that would be something else, i gather.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean by “our own messaging app”. The value in a messaging app comes from being able to message people, so I prefer one that can message as many people as possible - and that includes those using proprietary operating systems as well.

Both Signal, Wire, Telegram and Element run on Linux (at least for now) and all the other major OSes, so I think we are fairly well off there. It’s just that they all have their downsides as well.

What i meant by “our own messaging app” was an app developed and maintained by the community. I appologize for not being more clear. I should have explained better.
That being said, i’m in no way a developer, but i think i can imagine it takes a lot of work to create something. And that’s just the creation.
I always think, and maybe i’m wrong here, that an app, created and maintained by the community, is likely to be more secure and privacy minded.
I hope this explains it better.

Gotcha!

I think that would be Matrix then. It is following a set of open specifications and standards and is developed entirely in the open.
It is governed by the non-profit Matrix.org Foundation.
It has a ton of clients, bots and bridges and SDKs for a lot of programming languages, all made by the community.
And it is generally considered to be very secure.

1 Like

Hey that’s great! I didn’t know that.
Thank you for the help!

I’m going to take a look. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You might want to check out #destinationlinux:matrix.org channel :wink:

1 Like