The Ryzen 3000 Question

I’m wondering if anyone could tell my if a Ryzen 3rd Gen CPU would work out of the box with Ubuntu 20.04? I’m considering a Ryzen 7 3700x for a new Linux gaming PC / workstation. I’ve been scouring the internet for a while trying to find out if this is a good idea, but I’ve only come across old articles and posts essentially saying “it don’t work”. I’ve seen nothing that suggests 20.04 with kernel version 5.4 would cause any issues, but I want to know for sure. Does anyone have a 3rd Gen Ryzen build an can offer me some information?

For reference, the build configuration I’m thinking about:

EDIT: I’m starting to think maybe a Ryzen 5 3600 would be a better option.

I am using a Ryzen 9 3950X with a Radeon RX 580 as my workstation and a Ryzen 5 3600X with a Radeon RX 5700XT as my personal PC.
Both are running Kubuntu 19.04 just fine, but in order to get the accelerated graphics working properly, I updated the kernel with UKUU to the most recent at the time of installation, which was 5.4.8.

I haven’t tried 20.04 yet, but I will soon. I can’t imagine there would be any problems with running that though.

1 Like

I understand your logic, but that is not always the case. It mainly depends on the kernel version (which is always older than the distro itself), but in the case of Ryzen 3000, you should have no problems with version 5.4.
Also, since 20.04 is an LTS version, Canonical will be backporting newer kernels through the Hardware Enablement Stack (HWE)/LTS enablement, so you should be fairly safe with new hardware in the future as well.

1 Like