The Linux Library

Somebody once said: “The treasures of the world are hidden in books”.
Thinking about this led me to this question: which books, related to Linux did you read, or do you have in your library?
Which ones could you recommend and why?
I have in my library, a physical copy of the “unix and linux system administration handbook” (fourth edition), and “How does Linux work?”.
E-books: The Ultimate Linux Newbie Guide, Linux fundamentals, Bash beginners guide and a series of books, written by Paul Cobbaut. (Belgian writer), covering fundamentals, security, networking, server and storage.
Have i read all these books? Not yet. Time is something scarce for me. At least to start reading. But i’m getting there, one page at a time. :slight_smile:
Now, for a new user, i’d definitely recommend How does Linux work. Alongside a running system, it’s a great companion to start your journey. It did so for me anyway.

1 Like

I can second the “unix and linux system administratin handbook”. I have the fifth edition. An expensive book, but IMHO, worth every penny.

For bash scripting, I can recommend “linux command line and shell scripting bible”. I have the third edition.

I have many other books, but they are mostly focused on Python.

Not specifically linux but “sed and awk” from o’reilly is worth reading.

A lot of the oneliners I use for work, mostly filtering and sorting log files, use sed and/or awk.

1 Like

I forget what edition they’re up to now, but I like to have a relatively recent version of The Linux Bible handy on my shelf for obscure lookups.

The Linux Command Line by William E. Shotts, Jr. is a favorite of mine. It goes over a lot of useful Unix commands that, while you may have used them in the past, you have only scratched the surface of. It also provides instruction on shell scripting. The publisher, No Starch Press, is one of my favorite tech publishers.

I would also recommend pretty much any book by Michael W. Lucas. While he is a BSD person himself, many of the books in his IT Mastery series (such as SSH Mastery, Sudo Mastery, and PAM Mastery) are aimed Linux sysadmins as well.

1 Like