Steam Deck is Valve's new Linux-based console

I’m not sure if we can even call it a console, given it’s more of portable, gaming oriented PC.
Either way, many people are really excited, myself included as I hoped for something like that for some time now.

And of course it’s based on Arch Linux, so that’s something that can improve Linux gaming even more.

And even if it flops, it’s still gonna be perfectly usable device, as it uses the same Steam and you can load it with custom software like emulators or games bought elsewhere.

3 Likes

Interesting that they went with Arch. Everything online about StreamOS mentions Debian.

I’m really looking forward to playing Halo: MCC and Halo: Infinite online.

Might even try Apex.

Apex Legends? I don’t think it works on linux right now. According to ProtonDB at least. Between PUBG, Apex, Fortnite and Counterstrike:GO I’m pretty sure Counterstrike is the only one that works reliably.

It seems to be a huge claim to run any AAA title made. I really hope it does…

I’m wondering if that’s code for having the option to stream games from a remote machine. On account of anti-cheat there’s some AAA titles that simply won’t work on Linux by design even if it could play everything.

From the website:

“For Deck, we’re vastly improving Proton’s game compatibility and support for anti-cheat solutions by working directly with the vendors.”

So that’s something. Also:

“It is a Zen 2 + RDNA 2 powerhouse, delivering more than enough performance to run the latest AAA games in a very efficient power envelope.”

I don’t see it claimed it will play ANY AAA title. Just the latest ones. It probably could play any AAA title, with that APU, just not on Linux. Here they are talking specifically about the chip.

There’s a good deal of “marketing wank” here but if you read between the lines I don’t see any ridiculous claims.

My favorite part:

" All models use socketed 2230 m.2 modules (not intended for end-user replacement)"

Not intended but probably possible…

2 Likes

I guess there are some early looks:

Once anti-cheat works, I hope Apex works, too.

For all those people getting excited about the possibility of running some triple A first person shooters on this, even if all the anti cheat stuff works out. Look at the scale of the thing. Anyone behind cover is going to be practically invisible.

A lot of titles on my back catalogue on Steam will be hard to play on the small screen. Of course you can dock it to play on larger screen but in that case is there any point in buying this instead of a desktop.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some games I would love to play on this thing. Lonely Mountain Downhill, Stardew Valley etc… But they are mainly Indie games. Will be waiting for AAA creators to come up with some games more playable on smaller format, without ripping off Nintendo.

I think indie and other kind of games that would work well in portable mode are the main reason people are excited for this in the same way people like playing od Switch.

I for example am very excited for many older games (Disgaea 2, KOTOR, some retro point & click games) emulation of older consoles, handheld consoles, some more time-consuming titles I can play on the side and trying different indie games.

And even if some more demanding titles won’t work on Deck, improvements and support for proton are going to work for regular Linux PCs.

2 Likes

Sniper rifles only haha

You just have to 360 no scope.

60% of the time it works every time.

Yeah, I agree with you, this is probably going to be a Nintendo Switch for PC gamers (this is not a bad thing).

The only thing that turns me off is the bulky size. I can’t see myself sitting in bed or in a chair and comfortably playing games. It seems like I’d rather want a laptop with a larger screen, possibly larger battery, possibly more power, and it’s weight dispersed over a larger area.

If on the other hand some of those developers tune their games for the Steam Deck

1 Like

It seems that this new console also might have some negative effects on the Linux gaming ecosphere.
A nice interview has been done by the people of JupiterBroadcasting.

https://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/145637/something-sinister-below-deck-linux-unplugged-415/