(Solved) Ubuntu 21.04, Epson L380 inkjet printer driver not working

I’m a Linux newbie using Ubuntu 21.04. All the details are in the attached image. Here’s is my current, not-working printer driver: epson-inkjet-printer-201601w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb

After you review the image, I’d like to know where to locate an alternate printer driver that works? Is there a site that has alternate Linux printer drivers for common printers?

(Note, I installed an Epson Scanner Utility deb file and scanning works fine.)

I don’t think trying the printer utility will hurt anything and you shouldn’t need to uninstall the existing driver. You might need to try several drivers that look close to what you need before you find one that works.

I’ve always had to try a bunch of drivers to get printers to work, and it’s always been a pain. It’s better than it used to be, but it’s still kind of a crapshoot IME.

1 Like

Did you uninstall the old printer driver before trying a new driver?

Not usually.

So when you left the old driver there, that didn’t cause problems after installing the new one?

nope. Admitedly that was in Fedora, so there were already a bunch of drivers in place. I just had to select which one I wanted to use.

First of all I am not an Ubuntu user but I recall that Ubuntu comes with a driver section where it can find missing firmware for your machine. Did you try that? I cannot remember the name of it. Driver management? I think it is additional drivers somewhere in the system settings.

Got it fixed. After some trial and error and trying different printer drivers, I discovered that the correct printer driver for my Epson L380 is "Epson L382 Series - epson-inkjet-printer 1.0.0-1lsb3.2 (Seiko Epson Corporation LSB 3.2)". I installed this from the Ubuntu printer database in the Printer Settings menu.

Could someone mark this thread as “Solved”? Thanks.

1 Like