[solved] Minecraft Java edition launcher only allows playing the most recent version

I have the Minecraft launcher installed on a Debian Bullseye box and I can only ever play the most current version. To be specific, when I try to create a new installation, the dropdown menu shows available versions, including 1.18.2. After I select 1.18.2, it still shows 1.19.

Any ideas how to fix this? Many thanks in advance!

We’ve never used that launcher. My kids launch Minecraft from MultiMC. That may help…

1 Like

Many thanks! Works beautifully!

Still, such a puzzling problem. I’ve installed the standard launcher for my kids on various computers and this is the only time I’ve seen this weird behavior. But MultiMC seems way better anyway!

1 Like

MultiMC is pretty cool. My kids have multiple instances of Minecraft with all kinds of crazy mods.

I know I’m late but there was some classic developer ego issues with the MultiMC project which caused a community fork in PolyMC (GitHub - PolyMC/PolyMC: A custom launcher for Minecraft that allows you to easily manage multiple installations of Minecraft at once (Fork of MultiMC)).

Just putting that there for you.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I think my son is happy enough with MultiMC but if any issues crop up, I’ll give PolyMC a try!

1 Like

I use PolyMC as a Flatpak, it works great. Plus it still allows me to use my old Mojang account while the official launcher insists I create a Microsoft account to keep playing.