So, what's your Linux week been like?

Let me see the repositories.
I CAN tell you Ubuntu isn’t Debian

Well I recently built a new system, and I’m now distro-hopping no longer.

Instead I’m now Quad-booting! :joy:

Win10
EndeavourOS (my main Linux Distro)
Archcraft
Pop!_OS

I was triple-booting, but I saw Archcraft and couldn’t resist. Its a gorgeous Openbox Arch distro, and worth the hassle of getting a 4th grub entry set up :joy:

I still use Win10 for a fair bit of stuff, but generally if I’m not gaming, I’ll be in Endeavour, which is my favourite Arch spin. Definitely worth checking it out if you haven’t already!

3 Likes

Well, the week is just starting, but my home runs on linux almost entirely, there is only one win10 laptop that is my wife’s laptop. My son uses Fedora 33 Cinnamon Spin with my wife’s personal laptop, I will make him update it in a few days, and my 2 laptops (work and personal) are running Fedora 34 i3 Spin and I’m preparing a mini eMachines 355 with Fedora 34 LXQt Spin, still with stream problems (I think I will upgrade RAM and HDD to make it more usable), that will be my son’s machine once its ready.

At my work, I mostly work creating docker containers with k8s orchestration, so linux it’s a must here too.

3 Likes

I do hope Windows update doesn’t clobber your boot system. I think it has plenty of talent in that area, sadly :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Boring week, just backed up my Ryzen desktop to my Sandy Bridge laptop both running Ubuntu 21.04 and OpenZFS 2.0. In parallel my second backup has been sent to my 2003 Pentium backup server running 32-bits FreeBSD 13.0 on OpenZFS 2.0.

1 Like

Sunday I had some excitement, my Internet stopped working in my office, while it was still working in the living room. Looking at the problem I detected that pinging 8.8.8.8 stopped replying at the moment I tried to use the Internet through the Firefox browser in the office. If I stopped the browser, the pings were nicely replied again. And that behavior was repeatable.

I noticed more and more Internet problems during the last months, but sometimes it was the ISP and some times it seems related to a bad connection of the Ethernet plugs. I started to doubt the ISP. I have a long old Ethernet Cable going from the front of the house to the outside and back in at the back side of the house. So my conclusion was that due to aging or rising temperature 33°C, the ISP router had a problem bridging the distance. Probably the reflections on the long cable were to strong compared to the real signal.

I still had an old 100 Mbps switch lying around, so I used that switch to drive the long cable and connected the ISP Router with a short cable to the switch. That old Sitecon LN-118 switch solved the problem. A potential problem is, that the switch expects 9V and I only had 12V Power Adapter, but for the moment it works with 12V :slight_smile:

1 Like

My week in Linux has been good. I tried Ubuntu DDE in a VM and was impressed by the UI, Would I use it as my main desktop, probably not, Its nice to see they are not all the same though, Its the kind of DE that I would install for a friend or relative to get them up and running.

After a few weeks with EndeavourOS I have to say I expected more breakage. OK, not really to be honest, but still there is nothing to fix. :sweat_smile:

I admit Arch in its vanilla form, albeit cheating a bit at install time, is pretty enjoyable. I love the command line only approach of Endeavour. It feels like one of my minimal Debian installs only with another package manager and everything is up-to-date.

Thank you @Bryanpwo for making Arch accessible and keeping the old spirit of Antergos alive!

2 Likes

Your welcome!

2 Likes

I store all my Virtual Machines on the Ubuntu 21.04 Host ZFS system. Yesterday I prepared my weekly backup, updating all systems, that still receive updates. For the first time I also zeroed all empty space on almost all VMs and because ZFS is compressing those zero space with lz4, I gained ~25% of space for the VMs. However it is not yet visible in the total storage space, since the old rubbish free space is still stored in the old snapshots :frowning: I will have to wait till those snapshots are aged out in the coming weeks and months.

I write a file with all zeroes using dd and afterwards I deleted that file again. For Windows I use the cipher command. Writing those zeroes to Garuda Linux and to Xubuntu 21.10 dev.ed did create some issues. I should have known it, writing zeroes to VMs that are using compressed storage (zfs or btrfs) does never finish, because the file with zeroes keeps growing without using “physical” space :slight_smile:

Another day that I backed up everything using ZFS to:

• 2011 HP Elitebook 8460p (i5-2520M) with a 2 TB HDD;
  • 2003 HP D530 SFF or better the remains of it (Pentium 4 HT 3.0GHz), with 2 IDE HDDs (3.5") 250+320GB and 2 SATA-1 HDDs (2.5") 2 x 320GB. In total 1.21 TB.

Backing up to the one-month-old 2 TB disk I noticed a significant difference between the throughput of the network and the HDD. The HDD throughput has been occasionally 2 to 3 times as high. It made me think about a difference between the dataset properties in desktop and laptop. Indeed there were two datasets with unequal properties with respect to compression, so I corrected those for the next weekly run. I hope the problems are solved, else I have to look in some detail at dnode-sizes and record-sizes.

After detecting this incompatibility I checked the disk of the Pentium and its SATA-1 datapool had no setting with respect to compression, but sending the data with -c parameter seem to make sure, that the data has been stored compressed. To be consistent I corrected this property too.

If you’re 76 you should not depend on memory only anymore, I should have checked it :slight_smile: :frowning:

The performance of the laptop with the 2 TB HDD is terrible, compared to the defect 1 TB SSHD. The mechanical adapter for a sata SSD in the DVD location is coming from China for $10. The last order status messages were in Chinese, but Google translate showed, that after one month it reached Peking International Airport.

I learned how to configure and implement CARLA the virtual Audio Rack and Patchbay. I’m getting my head wrapped around realtime audio manipulation. The node based approach in carla patchbay is pretty cool!

1 Like

Sunday night. I get a notice that website pages are throwing 500 codes “out of the blue.” I immediately looked at the error logs – yep 500 codes – coming from a php function call. I did a little snooping and noticed a fresh timestamp on the .htaccess file – hmmmm. I diffed the current .htaccess file with the one from the last backup. Bingo – someone upgraded the server to php7. This version of php is a brute to deprecated function calls – it went from warnings to failure.

I start to panic that I might have to stay up all night and work through thousands of lines of code that was written 18 years ago. uggh! Then I clear my mind and say “wait, I’m not the first guy that has ever done this.” I spent 10 minutes researching and found a custom function on github that converts old function calls to newer function calls. I cloned it; reviewed it; uploaded it; BOOM! Fixed - In 15 minutes.

Okay not fixed – but patched – which will allow me to rewrite the code on my own time – rather than pull an all-nighter.

2 Likes

Last week I had a failing Ethernet cable between my network router and the ISP router, so the local network worked fine, but the connection to the Internet was missing. Nautilus had some problems with this situation since normally I mount the Google drive during login. Now with a missing internet it was not possible and that showed. Nautilus used 25 seconds to start up and it showed the Google drive as mounted, showing 1 PiB as free storage in Conky. Dismounting the drive was impossible.

You understand I directly started using CHIA farming with a free 1 PiB of storage :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Just see the fun in my screenshot.

1 Like

So you’re the reason my time to win went up 110 years!

Over the past weekend i discovered remmina. I knew it was there, just didn’t have a need for it. Untill this past weekend, that is.
The need for managing a few boxes from one central place took over. (Lazy me… :smiley:)

2 Likes

This looks so good. Sharing space with like-minded enthusiasts has so many benefits. Thanks for telling us about it.

Saw a video on Twister OS and they have a really beautiful setup for Conky. Didn’t know it was that malleable till now.

Since as long as I can remember I don’t think I’ve ever seen Firefox actually restart when I’ve clicked the “restart now” button when Firefox gets an update while running. But not this day! It actually worked! Nice!

So ran the update to pop os 21.04. it worked without issue, can’t help thinking it’s just a little bit worse now. Maybe I just need to do a bit of configuration. Can’t complain though it’s still pretty great.

Edit: I started a thread on this. (I now love it)