So, what's your Linux week been like?

Yesterday I set up a dual boot on the last Windows PC in my house. Finally! I just use it for gaming but I want to try to use Linux as much as possible for it now.

I am also printing a lot more with my Prusa MINI lately. Mostly stuff for my home office. And useless crap :smiley:

Today I tries to boot that Ubuntu 20.04 VM with ZFS and zsys. The system only displayed the two entries for the memory test in the boot menu. All Ubuntu entries disappeared. Connecting the vdi-disk to another VM did not show any errors. It was easily responding to all ZFS commands and zfs scrub did not show any errors. No idea. what caused the problem.
I renamed that faulty vdi-disk and restored a 1 week old one from the snapshots directory .zfs. I did rerun the updates for the past week without problems and the system worked again without issues after ~10 minutes (Internet 25 Mbps and nvme 3400/3000MB/s).
I like to look at the /boot/grub directory of the failed disk tomorrow and I have the look at the logging.

I finally got Mattermost Team server to install nicely on a Raspberry Pi 4. There are several catches. I wrote a tutorial, explaining installation, here:
https://forum.tuxdigital.com/t/install-mattermost-team-server-5-21-in-ubuntu-18-04-4-or-19-10-64bit-on-a-raspberry-pi-4-daily-driver-worthy/1729/2

3 Likes

Week 4 working from home, and I’ve got hardcore cabin fever. My metro area has something like 2,500 confirmed cases right now so nothing’s going to change for a while. On the positive side, my Linux-native version of Neverwinter Nights Enhanced has helped break the monotony in the evenings, and I’m keeping up with the 20.04 LTS betas on Boxes.

1 Like

Just rebuilt/upgraded my desktop PC with a 4 x 2.5" Bay Icy Dock so that I can install lots of other distros on the hardware without having to keep pulling the PC apart to install a new drive, at the same time upgraded the main Drive to a WDBlue 1TB SSD as the main Boot drive and reinstalled Mint 19.3 on this. Then put another 128Gb SSD into one of the other bays and installed Q4OS onto it as a Dual Boot without touching the 1TB drive apart from the Grub menu. Transferred all my data of the old 250Gig SSD to the new install and the whole process took about 2 hours. The only downside was the MB only has 4 SATA connections so to be able to use all the bays in the Dock I had to take out the 5.5" DVD drive so at some point I will need to invest in a PCIe SATA card and then I can treat myself to a Blu-Ray Drive to complete the upgrade. Or I could just buy a USB3 external Blue-Ray Drive as I have a USB3 Hub for when I need extra ports.

I tried several programming languages. Nim, Crystal, D, Julia and some lesser known like OpenEuphoria and Phix. Also, I’m back on Solus. I’ve got a low-power laptop and LXLE couldn’t handle external monitor properly. It is still a great distro, but I think it’s time to say goodbye to LXDE.

I tried my hand at SRT video streaming, and it’s very difficult, even just from OBS (v25) on your desktop, to VLC, on the very same same desktop. Steep learning curve. It’s an area still in its infancy, with lots of black magic spells that don’t work. Everything SRT-related seems to be of brutal alpha-grade quality.

I also spent some time in Raspbian, on a RPi4, and really appreciated how mature and smooth it felt (just sticking to its mainstream, recommended apps). Wow, has it ever come a long way over the years. It truly felt like a capable desktop to me. My Bluetooth headset worked like magic!!

They released their online installer in December and just had another release a few days ago. It’s a fantastic release that I highly recommend if you want a near-vanilla Arch experience with some nice sysadmin tools to make running Arch a little less cumbersome.

Who is “they” and which other release?

Sorry for the lack of context. I was replying to MehGyver’s post in which he mentioned EndeavourOS.

My changes have been pushed onto KDE repository. It’s my firs bugfix on the project.

3 Likes

You fixed the (relatively) slow SMB performance in KIO, right? That bug has annoyed me for years!! Huge kudos for this. You sir, deserve praise!

My work was in KIO, but it’s not that one.
I fixed displaying thumbnails on encrypted filesystems. Previously it was disabled, because it would result in cache being created on ~/.cache/thunbnails which allowed to see data without proper access.

3 Likes

@Kikuchiyo Thanks for your contributions!

After some help on transferring dotfiles, I moved from Solus to Manjaro KDE. Still have some NetworkManager kinks to work out, but so far so good!

I have been enjoying the fact I can rely on my Tumbleweed systems. I haven’t had the time to fiddle as I like so having the benefits of rolling without the technical debt that comes with it. I will say, since my employer provided laptop does not have any office software outside of Gsuite, I have been doing spreadsheet work more efficiently using LibreOffice and that has been going super well. I can’t thank enough the people that keep Linux / Plasma / openSUSE / LibreOffice and everything in between going, making it easier to do the work I need to do.

1 Like

I was playing with Raylib. It’s a great C library for game development. Extremely easy to use. Plus there are bindings for many popular languages available.

This week I moved a cloud Nextcloud instance over to a different VPS which had much better performance. Less than half the latency (ping time), double the performance, same price! Nextcloud rips when you really fuss over choosing a low latency cloud server!!

This week I took the plunge and installed Pop_OS 20.04 beta. It’s pretty solid at this point. I’ve only had a few papercuts, like resuming from suspend (which has been a problem on most laptops with Linux in my experience). Otherwise I’m digging the updates to Gnome shell.

What did you move from? What kind of laptop did you put it on?