Slimbook Essential Answers The Call For Affordable Linux Laptops

By Jason Evangelho

2 Likes

That’s indeed good news. Recently I contemplated buying a laptop. I have reasonable needs and was stuck in between buying an Asus (or similar) or spending sensibly more for a Tuxedo or a Slimbook. Too bad it’s not powered by AMD though.

This time next year and I think we’ll see an ENORMOUS amount of Ryzen-powered Linux options.

That sounds and looks very tempting. I am a teacher so I never had a need for those developer editions and whatnot. I use my laptop every day the whole day but my demands are not too high.
This Slimbook looks like the perfect laptop if I need a new one. I will certainly consider it.

I guess they listened to your podcast. :stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting. Are these developed in-house or rebadged from an OEM like Clevo? If so I’m curious how they’re able to be so (relatively) inexpensive.

I read somewhere or heard that they are from Clevo but I am not 100 % sure.

Other comparably priced options are from Starlabs. User serviceable and repairable, spare parts available directly.
https://starlabs.systems/

Yep saw that too when Jason mentioned them. Not sure if the keyboard will be available in something else than qwerty though

My wife has a MacBook Air that will soon stop receiving OS updates. I’ve been trying to decide if I should install Elementary OS on it or buy her a Slimbook Esssential 14.

I can get her a Core i5 with 16GB RAM for around $700 USD - way better specs than her 2012 Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM.

I’ve installed elementary on a 2013 MacBook Pro and it just FEELS and looks fantastic.
that being said, battery life suffers a little but it’s a really nice experience overall.

If you’ve got the money, I say support Slimbook! They even offer a ton of different distros pre-installed.

Welcome to the DLN forum btw!

1 Like

The Mark IV looks nice but I find it odd that it can only be configured as an i3 or i7 variant - no i5 available. The i3 with a 480 GB SSD is a little more than $800 USD.

The Mark III is still in “budget Linux” territory but it’s configured more like an expensive Chromebook at with a 480 GB SSD for $474 USD.