Six months with openSUSE

I am happy to announce that I have been very pleased with openSUSE TW in which I had jumped into head first due to an on going issue I had with KDE Neon and also after watching Episode 267: Are Specialty Distros Bad For Linux?. I decided to give openSUSE a shot and with the help of @CubicleNate’s helpful info on his site, I have fallen in love with Linux all over again. Big thanks to everyone in the forum, and at Destination Linux. Just thought I would share an update on the journey with openSUSE. I have used Linux for a little over 20 years and this is one of the best experiences with a distro I have ever had.

6 Likes

That is fantastic news! I appreciate you sharing this as it is encouraging to know that something you do is beneficial to someone. :slightly_smiling_face: I don’t consider openSUSE the best distribution for first-time-user experience but if you want a Linux distro that you can shape and mold easily into various functions, I truly think it is the best choice. The other fantastic thing about openSUSE Tumbleweed is that you can be a poorly disciplined sys admin and not update a computer for many, many months and one sudo zypper dup later and you are back to an updated rolling distro.

3 Likes

I am now at the one year mark with openSUSE Tumbleweed even though I have switched machines. My newest piece of hardware is rocking it.

3 Likes

The one year mark is a big one. Have you had any issues to speak of?

I think the only issue I had was I had forgotten when I added the packman essentials repo I didn’t change it to supersede the system software it might contain. Other than that nothing to speak of as far as issues go.

1 Like

I actually left the priority the same so that I do go with the openSUSE repo as default with just sprinkling in the Packman as necessary. I have seemingly had good results from it.

1 Like

It might depend on how often you update.
I too also followed your advice Nate … thank you very much, but am a serial updater and almost every morning I do the zypper -v dup.
After 5 months with Tumbleweed installed with AMD graphics the only issue I sometimes have is that I can’t update until I resolve a problem with a package from packman essentials being newer than it’s dependencies or the other way around maybe.
The good thing is that, using the Konsole or Yakuake to update, there are really good explanations given as to what the issue is and well presented solution options. I have just learnt’ to choose Option 1 and the resolution results in a smooth update.