Session messaging?

I just came across this here:

Anybody in the community familliar with this? Is it any good?

3 Likes

I think itā€™s similar to Signal to use in someways, except for the ID, which is a long string of text, similar to the following:

05b17ca9535cf51ef290424f61f2342e38751ade509e27e64998afa92147fb5f5a

Instead of a mobile phone number like Signal. It does have a QR code feature you can use to add people as well.

They do have a linux client though (AppImage format) which seems to work OK. They are based in Australia and are well aware of, and following closely, our latest encryption laws which Governments would currently be hard-pressed to get much out of Session.

I havenā€™t used it much myself though asā€¦ everyone I know is on Telegram, Whatsapp and Facebook! :cry: At least, Iā€™m starting to get a few over to Element/Matrix.

2 Likes

No phone numbers is a cool + with apps like signal and telegram requiring it. It does use the Loki network but there just isnā€™t many people on it. Thereā€™s an interview youā€™d find interesting.

1 Like

I mentioned it here somewhere and I use it on an Android phone installed from F-Droid, that is actually cool unlike Signal. It works basically like Signal, is based on it and uses the same encryption protocol but it is really slow and has less features and obviously no one else is using it.
It not only is private and secure, it also is anonymous because you do not need a phone number.

1 Like

Iā€™ve searched for it on the Openstore (volla phone) but itā€™s not available (yet).
A shame really, because like you say @vinylninja , it seems to give true anonimity.
And thatā€™s something rare these days, it seems.

Iā€™ve used this for a few months now. The technology is super cool and itā€™s actively being developed. I think it could easily be a future replacement for Signal. Like mentioned by @vinylninja, itā€™s hard to find other people using it. However, I am running an AppImage and hopefully it will become more wide-spread as an alternative secure messaging platform.

2 Likes

LokiNET is arguably the future of communicationā€¦

2 Likes

I couldnā€™t agree with you more. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Iā€™m considering trying it, Could I add you for a week or so when I begin testing?

1 Like

Absolutely! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Question: how did you get Lokinet working? Iā€™ve installed and got this error upon launch.

"terminate called after throwing an instance of ā€˜zmq::error_tā€™
what(): Address already in use

Iā€™m trying to install this on a virtualbox Ubuntu. In a vm with linux lite, the gui showed up for half a second only to dissapear again.

For now, i canā€™t get it to work properly. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna install it sometime this afternoon, so maybe I can add some context.

Session is also available as a Flatpak:
Session on Flathub
Iā€™ve had it installed for a long time but donā€™t really use it that muchā€¦I had previously convinced some close friends to use Signal, and when I suggested Session they were, like, ā€œwhat? you just told us to switch to Signal!ā€, so I stopped nagging them. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
About 7 months ago a few of us DLNers tried it out after chatting about it during a TWiL or DL post-show. It worked fine, but we havenā€™t used it with each other since. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I am currently experimenting with it. If you have the software, Can you dm me your user id? So i can continue testing?

Sure. :+1: (I messaged you my Session ID, but Iā€™m not sure how DM/Messaging works hereā€¦so I hope you got it.)

Maybe I should post Michaelā€™s Session ID here so you can all test with him. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Iā€™m kidding!

1 Like

I would message him about some cool Firefox Container featuresā€¦ :smile: