Serpent OS 1.0 release

As quoted from Ikey Doherty’s release page…

### We exist

As mentioned, we spent 2 years working on tooling and process. That’s … well. Kinda dull, honestly. You’re not here for the tooling, you’re here for the OS. To that end I made a decision to accelerate development of the actual Linux distro - and shift development of tooling into a parallel effort.

### Infrastructure … intelligently deferred

I deferred final enabling of the infrastructure until January to rectify the chicken/egg scenario whilst allowing us to grow a base of contributors and an actual distro to work with. We’re in a good position with minimal blockers so no concern there.

### A real software collection

This is our term for the classical “package repository”. We’re using a temporary collection right now to store all of the builds we produce. In keeping with the Avalancherequirements, this is the volatilesoftware collection. Changes a lot, hasn’t got a release policy.“

### An ISO.

We actually went ahead and created our first ISO. OK that’s a lie, this is probably the 20th revision by now. And let’s be brutally honest here:

It sucks.

We expected no less. However, the time is definitely here for us to begin our public iteration, transitioning from suckness to a project worth using. In order to do that, we need to get ourselves to a point whereby we can dogfood our work and build a daily driver. Our focus right now is building out the core technology and packaging to achieve those aims.

So if you want to try our uninstallable, buggy ISO, chiefly created as a brief introduction to our package manager and toolchain, head to our newly minted Download page. Set your expectations low, ignore your dreams, and you will not be disappointed!

https://serpentos.com/blog/2022/12/24/lift-off

Why did Ikey do Serpent OS? Didn’t he do Solus, and left?

Just wondering about its history…

I think He likes pushing the boundaries on what the devs can do with Linux and package management. [likes to be on the cutting edge]

More focused on developer community then consumers maybe?

Once he conquers one challenge, needs something bigger.