Sensor panels for Linux desktops?

The only ones I can think of that can do something like this would be to run a bpytop/htop over SSH (though I won’t get GPU metrics) or maybe set up the screen as another monitor.

Are there other options to create a sensory panel, like AIDA64?

I’m finding it hard to parse the language, you’re looking for a way to present htop/like information over a network on your desktop with something like Conky?

Yea, but I want the complete package:

• CPU
  • GPU
  • RAM
  • (optional) storage
  • disk I/O

And I haven’t decided whether to go for over the network metrics or direct connection to the PC.

I’m still at a loss for exactly what you’re trying to do but the list you provided is pretty standard for Conky to display for the local machine. I haven’t looked into it but hypothetically it should be able to pull that information over a network from multiple sources though that’s only if you specifically want the Conky interface.

There’s probably much better webui options though you’d need to have a browser open.

You could also write your own in BASH but it’d take some work and you’d want a firm sense of what the output should look like before you start.

Essentially something like these:

Preferably something like a dedicated hardware for sensors

or something like Plasmoids, but I want something with custom themes that can be customizable outside of Plasma.

Is there a Window rule that would restrict windows from showing up on a specific monitor?

I don’t have experience with KDE or Wayland outside of wlroots.

I do have some experience with Conky which can be configured to only appear on a particular monitor

As for themes, I can’t speak for other options but Conky is very themeable:

I script my own sensor displays in bash with ASCII.

lm-sensors get you lots of information on the sensors that are installed on your machine. For the GPU info, since I run NVIDIA, I use the NVIDIA System Management Interface (nvidia-smi ) to dig out the info that I want to see pertaining to the GPU. All of this is bundled in a script that gets called at a preset interval and refreshed on the screen via XFCE panels.

That same data could be passed into something like python Tkinter to let you generate your own personal sensor panel with a graphical interface rather than the ASCII that I have done. It seems to me that you could use a 5 inch display that uses HDMI and plug that in as another monitor for the separate and exclusive display of your output.

I’m probably not the only person to think along these lines – so probably a lion’s share of that work has already been done – somewhere – if you can find it.

1 Like