SBC's beside the Pi - Any good ones, favorites etc?

I’d add there’s also NOOBS OS for new users and Raspberry Pi OS (formerly Raspbian) for the more experienced. If a more experienced user can’t be expected to put a password in a text file or enter it into a prompt I don’t understand the distinction.

Man i’m being hard on the Pi… it’s a good platform. I just want the tech industry in general doing better.

notabug wontfix

— Raspberry Pi Foundation, probably.

1 Like

Does it run the same things? I like the Pi platform, but really just buy them because I can get them for cheap near me. Does all the same stuff work on there? For instance, could I make RetroPie happen on there too? Most tutorials are just geared toward Pi and I don’t know enough about software architecture to branch too far away from that. (I know x86 is not ARM, and that’s pretty much the extent of what I know!)

This depends entirely on the OS.

For instance. Raspberry Pi OS is only gonna work, you guessed it, on Raspberry Pi’s.
But some OS’s will have stuff like RetroPie and PiHole in the repositories and some it will even be able to run from Docker containers.

Generally, if something is compiled for x86 it will run on any x86 machine, and the same is generally true for ARM. I say generally because for some reason the Raspoberry PI folks are still compiling 32 bit software and OS images. 64 bit software is not going to run on that. However, most of the items running on those are open source, thus you can compile just anything available for Linux on any of the boards.

Adventurous noobs could also check out PINN.

All Pi bets are off. I’m going x86.

2 Likes

The problem with that thing is the eMMC is soldered on, unlike the Pine64’s Rock64 and RockPro64

1 Like

I also have no idea where/how to get one.

and even if I knew… I couldn’t afford one.

This plan has a lot of holes…

Yeah, it took me a while to find it

1 Like

4GB RAM model avail. in 32GB and 64GB eMMC versions.

$75 and $85

$7.99 heatsink.

So beautifulllllll :3 :3 :3

Thanks @Trent

1 Like

I wonder if the heatsink is required. I have a tablet I bought which came with Windows 8.1, and later upgraded to Windows 10. It also has those processors. For S&Gs, I installed Visual Studio on it since it came with 64GB eMMC storage. It performs quite well on it.

How could we fail to notice the new Raspberry Pi 400? (Note: it has no built-in sound, but a Bluetooth headset or earpiece may work, or hopefully your HDMI monitor has built-in speakers, or a linux-compatible USB dongle with audio-out may also work):

1 Like

Imho, the sound circuitry on the Pi has been less than stellar and picks up interference so easily. I’m not mourning the loss.

I do like that old wedge computer style expansion port on the back with the GPIO pins. Although I’ve said before, I LOVE the wedge form factor. Maybe someone can produce a hifiberry-style DAC board?

I will buy one, when they release the Raspberry Pi 800 (8 GB model) :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Reminds me so much of the Commodores :grinning:

2 Likes

Commodores?

It’s all about the Pentiums!

"You think your Commodore 64 is neato. What kind of chip you got in there, a Dorito?"

1 Like