[RESOLVED] Display flickering when playing some games & desktop

Resolved

It was a hardware issue. My replacement is running perfectly.

For some reason, some games are causing my displays (2K primary + 4K secondary) to flicker, then reboot (if it crashes fast enough). If I’m lucky, I can stop the game, then it’ll stop doing that.

Some games I tried that’s causing it:

• Cyberpunk 2077
  • Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Life Is Strange: True Colors

the only game that didn’t cause that to happen is Mass Effect Legendary Edition.

Anybody here can assist me?

My system:
Operating System: Kubuntu 21.10
KDE Plasma Version: 5.23.90
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.90.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.15.15-76051515-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 24 × AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
Memory: 62.7 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT

One other thing to note, I was using MESA from PPAs that are much newer than what ships with Ubuntu, but I recently just switched back to what came with Ubuntu or Pop!_OS (though they don’t seem to be different).

In addition, I was using this PPA when my issue ocurred. Same thing happened when I went back to what came on Ubuntu/Pop!_OS.

Reason why is because I was trying to fix an issue with my displays flickering at boot, and sometimes not working, which I fixed by plugging my desktop directly to the wall. When I tried to see what happens when I go back to the way it was, and no issues occurred at boot, I decided to stick with it.

I double checked the specs of the 6900XT (both stock and Phantom Gaming D), and according to CoreCtrl, the default maximum is 2660MHz, which is higher than reported boost (gonna try to lower that). I tried boosting the power limit to its max, and still haven’t resolved it.

I think I have fixed it.

My new system is now tainted with Windows 11 (I put it on my 1TB 870 QVO and used up 128GB for it). My Linux install is still on my 2TB 980 Pro. If this works out, I’ll just leave Win11 on the host just to update drivers and stuff, and use the Win11 guest for Halo Infinite and Apex.

I just installed & updated my mobo drivers from Gigabyte, AMD chipset, Asrock’s software, Radeon software, etc. Tested Halo Infinite on Windows and my system didn’t freak out (even enabled overclock mode on my 6900XT to draw out the power).

I’m now back on Kubuntu & tested with JEDI: Fallen Order, Cyberpunk 2077 & Resident Evil 2 (remake). So far so good.

Edit: Never mind. Seems to be borked on Windows, too. Gonna have it replaced.