Podcast 2.0 apps

So yesterday I listened to the Joe Rogan With Adam Curry. Adam was talking about podcasting 2.0 and how the podcast index is trying to keep podcasting decentralized. Does anyone use any of the apps using the index and what are your favorites?

1 Like

I have been using antennapod since before it used the podcast index and was pleasantly surprised when I recently checked it’s currently using it.

5 Likes

Yeah I am also an AntennaPod user and I find it to be among the best examples of open source apps on android. It is quite powerful and feature rich, if a bit rough in the UI sometimes, however, they are working on it, and its going just alright.

3 Likes

Can’t say enough good about AntennaPod. Open source, customizable without getting lost in all sorts of intricate details, dark mode. A must have app if you listen to podcasts.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s the best “open-source” podcast app in my opinion. I tried others and they didn’t seem as intuitive to use as antennapod.

2 Likes

I wish it had just 2 more features for fine grain control but it is very good. I used Podcast Addict for a while but the menus were very difficult to navigate.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying that one out today but after what everyone else said I will have to try antenna pod next.

Cool I will have to try it out

Also, there is another one named Tsacdop which is also open source, it has a totally different UI and workflow, but if you guys wanna try something different make sure to give it a go, it looks like it has not been updated in a while, so maybe if someone like where its going it can be forked and improved from there

1 Like

Does anyone listen to podcasts on desktop Linux? I have been using Cpod but it can be a bit ropey at times. I wasn’t sure if there was a better option out there. I think @MichaelTunnell is the one that introduced it to me so many years ago. I like the interface but sometimes the audio gets all clippy and weird on Bluetooth.

1 Like

newsboat, the cli rss reader has podcast support.

2 Likes

You’ll want to look into gpodder. It is being actively integrated into AntennaPod so you can synchronize your podcast setup between devices.

See gpodder sync for Nextcloud, which integrates with AntennaPod & KDE Kasts.
Github repo at https://github.com/thrillfall/nextcloud-gpodder

2 Likes

I roll my own through bash scripting which is essentially linux desktop. My scripts are called from a cron job; they parse the rss feeds, extract the url, wget the audio; name the episodes appropriately, manipulate the audio to my liking via ffmpeg, and then push them to my phone via rsync.

I can also start a fire with just two sticks.

2 Likes

Yes, but I do everything manually and do not fetch all of them, just the ones that interest me and that is already a lot of content that I am running behind. Newsboat and youtube-dl and then mpv or mplayer. I do not use my phone for any podcasts.

1 Like