openSUSE Leap 15.2 Released

Originally published at: openSUSE Leap 15.2 Released - Front Page Linux

The openSUSE project has long been a shining example of how an enterprise Linux solution can be implemented into a free and open source operating system for users who are using desktops or small systems, without the need for official, paid support. The project started in October 2005 as a beta release for SUSE‘s official…

Sounds really cool and I just might try Tumbleweed. I am still not sure which DE. Plasma probably.

I always liked openSUSE but found it too complex, especially Yast.

Plasma on openSUSE is definitely a first-class experience, even though the official flagship for SLED is now GNOME. I think most folks still consider it a “KDE distro.”

I’ve had a lot of fun playing around with Tumbleweed in a VM for a while now. I went with GNOME because I just feel inefficient using anything else these days, but the Plasma version is first-class stuff. YaST can be a pain and I in no way consider myself an expert, however, I can totally see how useful it can be once it is figured out and mastered.

I definitely encourage you to give openSUSE a shot. It is an extremely professional distro with tons of things to love about it. Coming from a Debian background, it can definitely be a bit jarring at first. However, I consider it a wonderful learning experience outside the comfort zone!

1 Like

I will definitely try it again because I actually used Leap a bit when it was introduced as such and found it great but as I said a little too complex fo my taste. It was with Xfce and later Gnome. I think it is time to see that first class Plasma citizen over there.

I am a long time RedHatEL / CentOS and Fedora user for more then 10 years and a lot of Linux’s at home, debian, arch, nixos, etc. I tried Slackware way back many years ago YAST is trully powerful.
I personally feel most comfortable in Fedora and I believe CentOS offers all the same as OpenSUSE.
last challenge I tried was NixOS completely diffeent Linux I recommend it for testing and the immutable Fedora Silverblue (OS is separate from user apps install it all via flatpak) and probably the most ultimate challenge is setting up and managing arch linux (I only use manjaro based on arch), Arch User Repository, Flatpaks and Snaps and App Images all the Apps Linux world could offer.

Fedora/CentOS also have the same FOSS only software approach (compared to debian/ubuntu).

It would be interesting to make a comparison of Community Enterprise Linux OS for business, like CentOS, OpenSUSE, could be beneficial for companies interested in Linux and FOSS. for example my company uses only Linux and BSD (legacy systems) and we prefer CentOS/RedHat over all else it was like that when I joined and I got used to used to Fedora after many years with prior Linux User experience.

Yes I support the recommendation try OpenSuse or CentOS as an alternative based on RHEL.

Best part about Linux Word is the ability and option to choose your OS, DE and Apps along with it.

Regards, Alex